Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 04:26:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hell Freezes Over!  (Read 4314 times)
Fax
« on: October 28, 2004, 06:53:13 pm »

I know this might be more than a little alien to some of you guys but last night the Boston Red Sox won the World Chamionship for the first time in 86 years...
It comes with all the cliche's, the sun rising in the west, dogs & cats slepping together, etc.
This is proof that a Morgan could win the 24 Hours of LeMans...
John
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:52:49 pm »

Now's the time to sponsor them then  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:54:43 pm »

Hi Fax,
Now I don't want to come over all xenophobic, nothing could be further from the truth, but I have to tell you that in the UK baseball is generally held in about as much esteem as spending Sunday morning unblocking a drain. There's nothing more guaranteed to get a Brit frothing than mention of the "World" Series. Here, it's called rounders and played by schoolgirls in short pleated skirts, and surprisingly, that's where my interest starts. Although I admit to having problems getting into the skirt these days and the farmers don't look quite right, either.
But I know where your coming from mate. Since birth I've followed a second rate second division football (soccer) team, and every fixture usually means disappointment and embarrassed mumbles to my mates on a Saturday night. It's all that pain and the history of general ineptitude that makes a victory soooo... sweet. Have a cold one for me, and hone those stories for relaying to your grandchildren. Come on you Sox!!!
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fax
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:43:10 pm »

Hi H,
No offence taken, I've been reassured by most of my English friends that they have about as much interest in Baseball as Americans have in Soccer. I'm also well aware of the reaction that the title "World Series" triggers (thats why I avoided using it in my first post).  It's Red Sox near century of futility that makes the story intriguing.  This is a team that has scaled unprecedented heights finding new ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Personally I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan.
Fax  
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 09:50:05 am »

There's nothing more guaranteed to get a Brit frothing than mention of the "World" Series.

One of the common misconceptions that we British love to spout about American sport this one.

The reason it's called the 'World' series is after the newspaper that sponsored the first challenge. I think it was called the Chicago World, but I'm likely to be corrected.
Had it been sponsoredby the New York Post it could have been called the 'Post' Series. But them we wouldn't have had the joke..

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 10:20:55 am »

I've read that that one's a bit of an urban myth Steve, maybe fax could clear it up.

It was most likely the Baton Rouge Trombone, but it just didn't catch on...

To be fair I've never really had a good honest go at getting into baseball (well, there's not exactly a lot of coverage over here) and think I should do. I tried with American Fooball, but was eventually exasperated by the ads and interupted flow of the game. Aussie Rules I reckon is a great game, and urge anyone to give it a go. Beach volleyball was the subject of close scrutiny, but I reckon it'll never catch on in Brighton. Besides, my pleas for a kit inspection were ignored.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fax
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 02:04:25 pm »

Actually guys the idea that it was named after the New York World newspaper is a bit of an urban myth.  It was called the World Series simpy because the American and National leagues each had their own respective championships and a "bigger" title was needed.  It was also hoped that baseball would spread to the rest of the world and that someday it would really be a true world series.  Got to remember this was in the very early 20th century and at the time America was very isolationist so to the average Joe Blow in Nebraska a game between the New York Yankees and Cincinnati Reds might as well have been the World Series.  Baseball is like soccer in that there are alot of complexities to the game that would be invisible to the uneducated eye.  Both would seem as thrilling as watching paint dry if you didn't really understand what you where seeing.
John
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 02:20:36 pm »

Actually guys the idea that it was named after the New York World newspaper is a bit of an urban myth.  

If something else I've always believed is a myth, does that mean that Big Foot isn't real either? Smiley

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Fax
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 02:56:09 pm »

Ah yes! The legend of the north woodlands.
Come to think of it, you never see Bigfoot and Canada Phil in the same place at the same time...Hmm, kinda makes you wonder.
John
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 03:09:03 pm »

Come to think of it, you never see Bigfoot and Canada Phil in the same place at the same time...Hmm, kinda makes you wonder.
John

Hmmm.  Tall.  Facial hair.  You may have something there John.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 05:20:03 am »

Hi Fax & Steve,
                       Here in Canada I Am/ He is known
as Sasquatch Cool

Heroes of Lore and Yore  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANADIAN HEROES IN FACT AND FICTION

Are they real, or are they myth? The name "Sasquatch" is an anglicized version of the term "sesqec" that the Coast Salish Stó:lő people of the lower Fraser River use to describe giant reclusive hairy creatures who inhabit the forests and mountains of Canada's Pacific Coast.  While most Canadians consider Sasquatch mythical creatures, for the Stó:lő they are very real. They exist, however, within a Native zoology that includes creatures that non-Natives tend to think of as "mythical" or "supernatural."1

Several other northwest coast tribes (including the Tlingit, the Haida, the Tsimshean / Nisga'a, Nuxalk and Kwakiutl peoples) also consider these hair-covered manlike and nocturnal beings as creatures that exist in the mountains and the forests of coastal areas, often times with spiritual connections.

For the more than 1000 Canadians who over the past fifty years have found giant footprints near their campsites, or reported having direct encounters of various kinds, the Sasquatch remains a mystery that continues to fascinate and baffle anthropologists, zoologists and the general public alike.

Keith T. Carlson, University of Saskatchewan

Fax
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 06:30:05 pm »

Hi Phil,
You need to stop wearing that Chewbacca costume when you go fishing, its freaking out the locals!
We missed you at the Petit buddy, hope all's well with our northern neighbors.
Fax
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: