Club Arnage
September 24, 2024, 05:31:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pop Ups  (Read 6519 times)
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2004, 03:28:39 pm »

Lots of you work with computers and such...

Anyone any idea of a program, either free or a purchase that gets rid of these pop up adds and "spyware".

I have a pop up blocker which does some things except ...

everytime i re-fresh a screen, i get a search engine putting itself on my screen.

Everytime i log in to the net, i get the chance to win a cruise ship etc etc.

Its doing my head in. And i am a techie virgin.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 04:21:57 pm »

Try looking here from lava soft.

http://www.lavasoft.de/

Ad-aware from them is the best I think. (and its free)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 04:22:29 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 05:36:07 pm »

Sounds like I had the same, I couln't choose my own homepage either.

What I did was look at the software list in my computer, figured out which programme really shouldn't be there, and tried to delete it.
It won't be deleted, but it will give you a name of a file which cannot be deleted. Let google search for that file, it will bring you to computer-anorak-fora with detailed files. Apparently there are ways to get rid' of files like that, but it seems only if you're retired or lie in bed with a broken legs (in other words, plenty of time).

It made me give up and reboot my computer completely Cry

What really helps is to get Norton or McAffee, for 25 quid a year I think it's worth it Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
smuudge
CA Veteran

I'm not a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 06:16:36 pm »

They all claim to get rid of Spyware and Pop ups but i dont of 1 bit of software that is effective on everything. Yahoo Toolbar is ok, it has a built in popup blocker and Spyware remover.

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 07:31:26 pm »

Robbo,
To get block and get rid of spyware I use Spybot S&D at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/.
It's freeware and is now at version 1.3.
It either blocks browser surfing habits and advert spyware or, using the Search & Destroy (S&D) facility, deletes it from your hard drive.

For Pop-ups I use Googles free pop-up blocker at http://www.toolbar.google.com/.  It is part of the Google toolbar and also provides a quick link to their search engine.

Alternatively, if you use Windows XP, download the Service Pack 2 (SP2) at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com which provides a whole load of security enhancements plus a Pop-up blocker.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:36:31 pm »

Also (using Internet Explorer), set your default 'home page' to about:blank at 'Tools', 'Internet Options', 'General tab', 'Use blank'.
Hopefully, you won't launch all sorts of crap when you open IE.

Steve East Anglian cobras

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 08:17:08 pm »

I know exactly what Robbo has because I fixed it for a mate earlier this year. Something had hijacked his browser. SpyBot and Search and Destroy found lots of crap, but not the offender. The pop up bits aren't stopped by a blocker. And really, a blocker only prevents the pop ups being seen: in cases like this you need to get rid of the cause.

In fact I had the same myself for a bit this year, and I ca STILL can't remember how to cure it. I *think* I ended up in Safe Mode deleting some files.

Robbo - run MSCONFIG and go to the startup tab. You might have to do some writing - write the names of everything that is enabled (or disabled, whichever is quicker) then disable everything and reboot. You will definitely have some things not working when you boot - but try your browser and see if the problem is cured. If it is, add back things one by one until you get the problem back.

That list is the programs which are run when the computer boots, and is the most likely place that something's been added.

IIRC there was a program in c:\windows\system32 which was the offender. (You could try just unchecking anything in there first).  Remember to re-check all the programs you really want after fionishing this. And, you'll need to reboot each time you make changes via MSCONFIG.

If you identify the programme, you might not be able to delete it because it's in use. That's where a boot into Safe Mode might help or, worst case, make a boot floppy (assuming Windows 98) and delete the file from a DOS command. IN FACT... unless you are absolutely POSITIVE you have found the offending file, just rename it to a new name and delete the extension, just in case you've got the wrong file!

There is another way to get round it which USUALLY works. Get another browser. I use Mozilla Firefox. It has more features built in than IE, including a pop up stopper and tabbed browsing, and is said to be faster. www.firefox.com in case you are interested. I don't think this gets hit in the same way as IE does (could be wrong though)

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:25:53 pm »

I've always found that the best way to get rid of an unwanted pop-up is to give it a rap on the helmet with a hot tea spoon.
Hope this helps.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 09:44:39 am »

I use firefox as well and it is definitely fatser than ie and no pop ups

Bring on the low flyers
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 12:59:25 pm »

Thanks Guys.

I had a problem and it stemed from MSN Messenger Plus !! and their Sponsors

websearch they are called.

I have the pop up blocker and had Norton Anti Christ.

I have re-downloaded spy kiler too.

And.... It seems to be better !!

Just need to get rid of this GAIn advertising now !

Take life by the horns and live it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 01:46:33 pm »

IIRC GAIN comes with, amongst other things,  music download software (Kazaa and others)

If you disable GAIN then the product no longer works. SO uninstall Kazaa and it's by-products.

Or install KAZAA Lite! http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=kazaalite

Or use a different peer to peer sharing program. If I were to want to pirate music, I'd probably use WinMx, which has no payload.

You probably already mentioned these above, but Adaware and Spybot are useful products in the fight against spyware. Find 'em in Google.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 01:47:19 pm by smokie » Logged
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 02:50:50 pm »

thanks for that KaZaA-link !

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print