Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 09:12:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold onto your hat Matt!  (Read 20120 times)
Fax
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 05:33:22 am »

Hi guys,
Yeah, I saw the footage of the flash floods on the news tonight over here.  Looked pretty awful. Goes without saying that our thoughts are with those who are suffering because of this.  Mother Nature is just f**k*ng with everyone these days.
Fax
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 02:50:08 pm »

Holy sh*t!

If anyone sees locusts could they let the rest of us know?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 04:50:43 pm »

We've had a plague of hover flies.

Pestilence is next  Sad

Steve East Anglian cobras

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 10:29:09 am »

We just got rid of a wasps in a nest, and it looks like their back again! so much for them not returning.
Scary point  - The global average temperature of the Ice age was just 3.5 deg lower than today’s average, So think what 1 deg increase will do - higher precipitation (I think this means more intense rain - storms etc) - sounds familiar? Global warming - no surely not !!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 10:50:38 am »

We are still in an Ice Age.

The problem is, we humans only think short term 100-200 years, Ice ages last for many many thousands, and ebb and flow during that time.

I would suggest you read,  if your interested,  'A short History of nearly everything' by Bill Bryson.

It explains the history behind the Global warming and ice ages etc in terms that even I could understand.

I am less concerned about changeing weather pattens than the fact that should an astroid have our name on it, we would not be aware of it until a few days from hitting us.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 02:12:20 pm »

Quite right Nordic. If humans stopped burning all hydrocarbons, it would lower the CO2 in the atmosphere by a mere 2%. The rest being naturally occurring. Thus it would make chuff all difference to the earth's climate. Glaobal warming is a good excuse for the luddites of the green movement to get us out of our cars and living in mud huts in the forrest.

But I am very worried by the prospect of the new Ice Age. That's why I wanted the waste body fat from the swimming pool filters...

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
ian murat
CA Veteran

mozilla firefox

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 02:39:04 pm »

yep we've always had climate change as the dendrochronological  samples from peat bogs proove - well someone has to do it - its just vogue to blame change on a group of defenseless people who keep the economy going through road tax, petrol tax and speeding fines

yours with a big puff a black diesel smoke  Grin

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2004, 07:06:39 pm »

We finally got the power back on at the office. It's nice to catch-up with the outside world.
The juice has been off at my home since the hurricane hit us on Friday night - and is likely not to be restored until the weekend (or so we're told). This ain't good, with daytime temps in the mid- 90's, so a daily forage for ice is needed to keep things from spoiling.
As for the storm itself - it came out of the Gulf much further south than anticipated - flattened Port Charlotte (killing lots of people in the process) and then just steam-rollered north east, tracking right over the metro Orlando area. I live 6 miles east of Orlando Airport and the eye of the storm passed directly over my neighborhood, with diminishing windspeeds of 114mph. I was very lucky. I'd removed a 60 foot oak tree from my back yard two months ago. It would definately have fallen onto my house, had it been there. As it was, I lost all my perimeter fencing, my pool enclosure, 3 trees and my roof will have to be replaced. My next door neighbors house was crushed by fallen trees, so I got off lightly. The destruction in the eastern half of the city is really scary - but things are quickly getting back to normal - all related to the restoration of power.
The hackneyed old adages about hurricanes being similar to runaway freight trains are all true. It's not an experience I'd like to go through again. Thanks for all the thoughtful comments and thank Christ for home insurance......  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2004, 07:45:23 pm »

Glad to hear all is (relatively) okay with you and your family Matt.

The insurance companies will up the premiums now though!

Were the small plastic chairs safely stowed away?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 08:22:15 pm »

Were the small plastic chairs safely stowed away?

At risk of prompting witty comments like, "Yeah, but what did it look like after the storm", here's a shot of my back yard on Saturday morning. Thanks Charley!http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2055DSC000051-thumb.JPG

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 08:24:58 pm »

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2055DSC000051-med.JPG

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2004, 08:49:20 am »

Uh, that looks like there's more to do than just lift the odd plastic chair. Glad to hear you are ok.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
opposite locker
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2004, 02:49:08 am »

Matt, how come you can spell dendrochronological but can't spell 'proove'?  Wink
ian murat
CA Veteran

mozilla firefox

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2004, 01:30:11 pm »

i dont know how matt can since i wrote it, still the wonder of nature will never cease

opposite locker
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2004, 05:56:46 pm »

The word 'DOH' comes to mind!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: