Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 11:36:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIA GT - Unlucky for TVR  (Read 4551 times)
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:46:09 am »

Hi,
I went to the FIA GT at Donington today. The award for the most unlucky driver award goes to Chris Stockton, driving the Synergy TVR. He was definately in the wrong place at the wrong time.
He was minding his own business driving down the Craner Curves, when a Viper got it wrong at the top of the Curves, went off track, straight lined the corner on the grass( a mere passenger at this point), rejoining the track just as the TVR was passing by. The Viper nailed the TVR in the rear quarter and cannonballed it off into the gravel trap at the bottom of the Craner Curves. The car wasn't too badly damaged bodywork wise but the impact smashed the rear wheel and the car was out the race.

I then spoke to Chris after he climbed from the car and was walking back.  I said it was a wrong place at the wrong time deal and this is what he said back " I was driving down there, then suddenly saw this think coming at me from the side , and thought "What the f##k !" Next thing I'm in the gravel ."

tough luck.
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:16:38 am »

Sure is tough luck!

A similar thing happened to me trying to get out of the Festival of Speed carpark on Friday. Only I think the other vehicle was stationary when I hit it... Roll Eyes

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:50:49 am »

Tough sh*t indeed, why didn't they enter both cars ?

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:03:58 am »

Sure is tough luck!

A similar thing happened to me trying to get out of the Festival of Speed carpark on Friday. Only I think the other vehicle was stationary when I hit it... Roll Eyes

Thats the trouble with these stationary cars, they appear suddenly from nowhere---- Lips Sealed
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:15:23 am »

no money though they may get two for silverstone, also using the le mans engine (30 hrs +) so it was losing power particularly to the RSR's tvr

Still, good meeting.

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 05:02:03 pm »

I just read at DSC that the car is scratched more than thought before. They won't participate in the 1000 KMs at the 'Ring, shame really.  Cry

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 06:27:18 pm »

Chris , Ron.....

I am away to Donnington Next month for the Moto GP. I havent been before and quite fancy watching from a slowish corner, where the chancs of late braking will show somwe great overtakes.

can you suggest a good area to watch in ?

Take life by the horns and live it.
Russ
CA Veteran

I think this is yours...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 06:35:45 pm »

I managed to catch the last few races yesterday. I arrived late co's I left late...  Roll Eyes

Take a look at http://www.donington-park.co.uk/spectators/ for some useful info.

Also...

"A popular area with motorcycle race fans, a great overtaking place as the bikes enter the Fogarty Esses on the Grand Prix circuit, then struggle to get the power down for the curving short blast down to the Melbourne Hairpin. You pick the bikes up again as they exit the hairpin and head for the slowest corner on the circuit at Goddards. Again a good overtaking place, and often scene of race incidents of one kind or another."

Fred Dibnah Memorial
Gland in the hand worth two in a Bush Tour 2007
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 06:58:58 pm »

Thanks Russ, I had an idea that would be a good spot .

Confirmed now.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 07:03:17 pm »

the good thing about donnington is that no matter where you are you get a good view, enhanced with a pair on binocs,

usually park at starkeys as you avoid all the crowds in the centre and its easier to get out, a board close to the entrance will tell you if its open.

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 07:29:04 pm »

Robbo,
As mentioned, Foggy's esses is the best place for overtaking moves, but another place to concider that I found out about during the GT race is to walk round the outside of the track to the Old Hall  Walk up the banking and sit on the end of the old Starkies bridge. You can only go so far before the barbed wire but its an excellent view of the track sweeping down the Craner curves, round Old Hall, and off back up the hill again. A great overall view.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 11:15:03 am »

Lot of people don't like it but we used to go down to the Melbourne hairpin. You can see them coming out of Foggertys, braking hard for the hairpin (back wheel off the ground), and then squirting up to Goddards. Only problem is that if you want to go anywhere else you can only walk from there anti-clockwise unless you have a pit pass, as walking clockwise involves going through the pits from Melbourne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: