Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 05:34:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 Cars & Manufacturers  (Read 9621 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 11:36:10 pm »

Development of an LMP1 program is horror-story expensive. I can't see a new player in prototype in the short-term. Looking back at the demise of the Porsche 917, P4, Matra, 936/956/962, Jaguar XJR, Peugeot 906 programs before the current Audi R8 domination, the void was always filled by GT derivatives (Porsche 935K3, McLaren F1 etc.)
Unless another heavily cash-rich manufacturer steps up to the plate in LMP1, once the R8 is obscelete or ruled inadmissible through reg changes - we could see a bit of a renaissance in GTS/GT, which would probably attract more manufacturer interest, due to the relative cost effectiveness of those more lowly racing classes.
A good thing, in my view - until the ACO sticks it's bloody oar in, of course. How they could rule-out the technically super advanced Porsche 961/959 - which turned into a genuine (if rather exclusive) production model - but accept the Dauer 962 as a road derivative is total French logic (apologies, Gilles - but you're all mad as cheese).    

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 12:39:38 am »

Now I'm sure I read somewhere (probably last week's Autosport) about the return of audi with a replacement for the R8........ Huh

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 12:41:19 am »

I've heard (?) talk of an R9 - and possibly (dare I say the word) a diesel engine??

from http://www.motor-sport.uk.com/news.php?news_id=338

"......Audi Sport has confirmed that it will build a successor to the all-conquering Audi R8 sports-racer and has not ruled out operating the R9 on the return of the works Audi Team to Le Mans with a diesel race engine....."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:51:47 am by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 12:57:17 am »

Any views of getting the 350Z into the Gt class?  Could see a Japenese manufacturer back again?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 01:02:02 am »

A Mazda return would be interesting although the RX8 in any form wouldn't be up to it.

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 01:15:22 am »

If audi do return with an LMP "R9", I do hope that another manufacturer joins the fray and is competitive - the last foure years have been a bit predictable at the front of the field - one of the nice things about this year's race was watching a race to the finish with no team orders.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
ridefast
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 10:05:10 am »

Any views of getting the 350Z into the Gt class?  Could see a Japenese manufacturer back again?

After this year's Team Goh victory in LM there's bound to be even more interest from Japanese manufacturers. Tom Kristensen really wasn't joking when he said that LM means a lot to Japanese fans.
I don't know about Mazda but I think Nissan 350Z is almost a sure thing in LM next year. Nissan is currently on a quest of 350Z promotion and that's also why they replaced Skyline R34 with 350Z in JGTC series. During their press conference right after the 350Z race car presentation they even mentioned that they intend to race it in LM in 2004 (which was obviously way too optimistic). If not 2004 then 2005 for sure. I hope it's not just a press talk...
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 01:45:39 pm »

I hope that Audi are working on a new R9 model to the new regs, surely new prototypes will have to start appearing

Maybe Joest will run R9's & the R8's will be customer run again??

More GTS & GT cars though please, the British GT has quite a few different cars that I'm sure could be modded to run at Le Mans.

Looking forward to the return of Aston Martin next year though, see how they fare up against Lamborghini??

A 350Z would be nice to see in GT, especially if I do end up buying one, imagining driving it down there next year....mmmm!!
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 02:11:08 pm »

Chris, can you get a weekend loaner out of nissan for the classic, give it a proper tryout before commiting and ordering for next year.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: