Club Arnage
June 24, 2024, 02:25:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday Parade  (Read 14846 times)
Rich - Team Gulp Racing
CA Veteran

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2004, 11:44:28 am »

Team Gulp has been at Le Mans for the last 8 years. We always venture into town for a few beers, to stalk the majorettes in the parade and try to avoid the old dear flashing the bearded clam.

Couldn't help thinking last year that the parade wasn't really worth bothering about. Something would come past then there would be a twenty minute wait for the next one.  I've seen more cars queing at my local drive thru.

Did we miss something?

Team Gulp Racing     - Established 1997

Le Mans 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 01:28:01 pm »

Same for us, in the end we left before we got too p****ed to drive back!! Rather than waiting on a corner for them to come along, thought we might try going down to the Square area? is this accessable.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:32:18 pm »

Haven't made it to the drivers parade yet and was thinking about trying it this year but you've now put a questionmark over it.

Perhaps we'll just head into Arnage?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:37:14 pm »

Never done it in 6 years of going - always promise myself I will, but never quite raise the energy. Still, it gives me an excuse to go back next year (as if I need one...!)
mwbennett
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:50:32 pm »

The delay seemed to be caused by the dancers - two steps forward and one and 3/4 back... Undecided

We always go, but last year we headed off before the end for the first time.

Hope it speeds up this year!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:21:53 pm »

thought we might try going down to the Square area? is this accessable.

I've been in the parade for the last few years driving the MGA.   The Cathedral Square where the cars form up from early afternoon onwards is accessible, but last year, they actually fenced off the area and charged people 5 Euros to get a closer look at the cars.   Shame really, as one of the nice things about previous years was chatting to the throngs of people wandering around before the parade.    That said, you can styill see plenty without stumping up to get into the enclosure.   The parade is great fun, but I imagine can be as much of a pain for spectators waiting for things to happen as it is for drivers!   I think the key is to either go in and expect to spend all afternoon and most of the evening in town, or go in and head for the Cathedral Square for an hour or two anytime from about 4ish, have a wander, gaze, soak up the atmosphere and then head off for Arnage or somewhere similar.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 02:41:15 pm »

The Cathedral Square where the cars form up from early afternoon onwards is accessible, but last year, they actually fenced off the area and charged people 5 Euros to get a closer look at the cars.   Shame really, as one of the nice things about previous years was chatting to the throngs of people wandering around before the parade.  

Ye gads! They're charging for a peek at the cars before the parade now??

We went in a few years ago and watched from a bar not far away and across from the ramp where the cars and drivers were presented before they moved off for the circular tour. This was much enjoyed and we were thinking about doing it again as we hadn't for a while.

Probably won't bother now as charging for a look around the cars etc. seems a bit money grubbing to me..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:46:23 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 02:42:08 pm »

thought we might try going down to the Square area? is this accessable.

I've been in the parade for the last few years driving the MGA.....

Yeah, I remember....I thought I might have won last years compo to accompany you until some big chested bimbo displaced me...  Angry Wink Angry
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 02:44:57 pm »

Yeah, that's what we're doing! Wanna meet up for a few jars/verres JP?

Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 02:54:30 pm »

Probably won't bother now as charging for a look around the cars etc. seems a bit money grubbing to me..

Only a bit of a money grubbing thing - it was basically aimed at making it easier to get the cars sorted out pre-parade and rolling - trying to do it the midst of throngs of people was always a complete shambles.   That said, they could have left it free and just cleared the area when it was time to start rolling

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 03:26:51 pm »

Yeah, that's what we're doing! Wanna meet up for a few jars/verres JP?

Grin

Sounds like a very civilised thing to do Rick!! Are you driving down or walking??

Not sure when on Friday our second group will arrive so the locality suits better too nstead of them trying to join us in Le mans itself!
COLD BEER GUY
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 04:11:58 pm »

Guys, last year we went to the square (as every other year) and we climbed over the fences. Naughty naughty... but look at the pics we made !!

Exept the nice talk  Kiss(dah) we had with the HT girls, the parade pretty much sucked.

Looking at these pics makes me all teh more sad that I can't go this year (the mrs still hasn't given birth, the b**ch is keeping her legs crossed to keep me home Angry)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 04:42:18 pm »

Hey Rick...
From one wings fan to another, I'll be in Arnage on Friday... Just look for the Welling shirt and I'll buy you a beer...
9th place this season...
Promotion to the conference next season.... I'm a dumd optimist  Smiley Smiley

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 05:01:32 pm »

It's a date then JP and Steve!! I'll try to remember to wear my (many seasons old - Welling Building Services!!!) Wings top too then. I had a nightmate the other night that Paul Parker had left and Keith the photographer had taken over!!!!!

Apologies for hijacking the thread to anyone else not the least bit interested!!

See you in Arnage then Steve and JP! And walking (not driving) BTW!
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 05:09:00 pm »

I can recommend it... Few beers, some fodder and then some more beers... Last year got a few in with a load of Danes... Bloody great night...

Only downside is getting back...

However, the thought of The HT Girls, even now, is making it twitch in anticipation... Grin

DW
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: