Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 08:14:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French sim cards  (Read 6702 times)
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2004, 09:56:21 pm »

>:(Don't you hate getting charged to receive calls when you're abroad?

Or is it just me? Ok so it costs the caller more, but then maybe they will be get to the point sooner. Undecided

Anyway, does anyone know what is the best value French Sim card, and can they be obtained as easily as in the UK, ie shops everywhere.

Stu
IanB
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:03:39 pm »

RS2babe & Hubby can help here as they live in france (so they tell us!) Come on Lisa & Simon Answer please
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:05:03 pm »

To be honest Stu, I find the inconvenience of saving a couple of quid not worth the hassle in comparison of the cost of the trip.

If you're worried about people chatting for too long, and the cost therefore involved, just use text messages......or tell them to shut up!!

Best advice, get pissed and don't worry about it!!   Grin Grin
skorpio
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 12:16:10 am »

I did look into this a couple of years back and it couldn't be done then without buying the phone and registering on a french network, the cards and phone are locked to the networks, they did prove the point in the shop using my phone and card and a french network phone and card, and without the unlock codes they just weren't playing the game  Sad Sad
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 01:39:26 am »

To be honest Stu, I find the inconvenience of saving a couple of quid not worth the hassle in comparison of the cost of the trip.

If you're worried about people chatting for too long, and the cost therefore involved, just use text messages......or tell them to shut up!!

Best advice, get pissed and don't worry about it!!   Grin Grin
My sentiments exactly. You should check the cheapest way to contact back to the Uk as the taffifs are all different. I usually text to contact when I'm there but I always usually add about £25 to £30 quid  on my trip cost to cover calls. If it dos'nt come to that its a bonus. I pay all my phone bills as well. Its not a company phone.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 08:39:32 am »

Aren't phone boxes cheaper? And likely to cost less anyway, as you can conveniently "run out of money" when you've heard enough.

Or even get them to call you back in phone box - calls to France really are cheap (relatively) these days.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 01:06:48 pm »

Aren't phone boxes cheaper? And likely to cost less anyway, as you can conveniently "run out of money" when you've heard enough.

Or even get them to call you back in phone box - calls to France really are cheap (relatively) these days.

We bought some 2 way radios for the tocken "lost" person around the circuit.

Otherwise if someone calls , walk near the tracj , they cant hear you , so you put the phone down, they never call back.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 10:46:24 am »

advice from a LM old-timer

mobile phone is (besides "wife", "kids", "expensive cloths") on my list of things which should definitely not be taken to Le Mans. Just enjoy the race, get drunk and forget about everything else....

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 11:55:48 am »

Not as easy as I thought then ,even though my phones is unlocked so it would accept any sim.
Here in the UK we must have a competitive market which helps availability and price, I think Its similar in Italy where sims PAYG sims are the norm.

I'll just get my calls diverted to my wife instead! and maybe rediscover the joys of a public phonebox!

However as I was searching the net for info on sims, I found a story on ananova about a village on the south coast of England where all mobile calls are routed through France , therefore costing the international rate!

Stu

Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 02:01:41 pm »

take advise from the members on two way radios and texting, if you must and you really want to fork out for the wife at home wanting the half hour natter gossip chit chat about nothing.
i brought a 200 unit phone card for the public phones to touch base with daily. It has just done five years and still 70+ units left. now theres a bargain for you. (onabudget card). that eats about 1 unit a minute evening rate. Cheesy

Andy
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 11:03:09 am »

Unless it's someone you would prefer wasn't seeing what you're getting up to in LM, why don't they come along with you - then you don't need to call home.

If they're in LM with you, a couple of cheap Motorola or similar walkie talkies have a good range and (once you've bought them) don't cost much (just batteries) to use.

Steve East Anglian cobras

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 11:21:48 am »

I took a couple of walkie talkies last year, but it was mostly impossible to use them due to some rather noisy cars in the vicinity.  Some people have no consideration!   Roll Eyes

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: