Club Arnage
September 22, 2024, 11:23:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time attendee  (Read 20362 times)
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2004, 10:50:45 pm »

I plan to attend my first 24 Hours of Le Mans this year.  I live in Texas and will be on a tour with some high school kids the first two weeks in June.  When I found out the dates that we were to be in France and that the race was starting when the group is leaving to come back to the US, there was no question as to what I wanted to do.  Anyway, having never been, I don't know my way around, logistics, transportation, etc. but have been picking up on valuable info on this site.  I just want to thank all of you for the little pieces of info I have found.   I plan to ride the train from Paris on June 12 to Le Mans and then back to the airport in Paris for a flight home.  Does that sound like a good plan or is there a better way, less costly such as motorcoach (we call them buses here in Texas)?   I plan to buy a General Admission ticket at the gate and just "bum" around.  I do want to go to the "village" to see displays, eat, etc and I hope the general admission will allow that.  Any advice or help will be most appreciated.  Thanks
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 11:42:48 pm »

Welcome John,
All of what you plan is feasible. Obviously the earlier you get to Le Mans, the better. When do you intend to return. The train would be the quickest ( and probably best) option and should'nt cost to much. Its about 1.5 to 2 hours from Paris if my memory serves me correctly. If you are definitely going, I would pre book your train ticket on the internet as you get cheaper fares in france for booking in advance, plus the trains will probably be busy that day, so the earlier the better. I believe that a shuttle bus runs to the circuit. General Admission tickets are available on the day and allow access to the village and all the spectator areas apart from the grandstands (Tribunes) which you need an extra ticket for. If we can be off any more help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Stu
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 09:09:45 am »

HI John, Your plan is sound. Definitely book your train especially the return portion. Travel time is 55 minutes to Paris ( Montparnasse) 1 1/2 hours to Charles de Gaule Airport. Shuttle bus from Gare ( station) in Le Mans to track about 20 minutes takes you to main enterance. Carry euro cash as  Credit card machines at entrance can be  out of order. Food and drink readily available. Be sure to visit Champagne Bar 9:00 pm Saturday to meet  the CA crowd. GA ticket is all you need to see the best race in the world. Be excited you are in for the treat of your life.
Canada Phil
PS it is totally addictive
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:48:43 am »

Welcome John.

What a fantastic coincidence that the greatest motor race in the world fits in around your trip.

There's a great help section here that will provide you lots of useful information.   http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=274

The only thing I would add to the comments you have already seen would be that if you can, I would recommend getting there earlier than the Saturday if your itinery permits. We get there on the Thursday morning but there are others who get there as early as the Sunday before. All you would need is a small tent. I take it your flight leaves on Sunday night??

We make regular trips out to the Hypermarket so if you wnat us to pick up a case of beer (or two) for you just ask neared the time.

As for transportation, Gilles may well be your man who can suggest if there is a coach/bus available from Paris and relative costs/times. I'm sure he'll post a reply soon. He lives in Le Mans so provides us with all sorts of invaluable information.

Look forward to seeing you there!! But remember, it's addictive and so you better start planning next years trip already!!!!!  You will be back!!!

Cheers,   Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 10:45:24 am »

Welcome, and thanks for taking the trouble to look around for information on the site first.   You will always find plenty of good people willing to help on this forum, whether it is in the form of advice, knowledge or actual help when you are there, particularly for people who are travelling significant distances.   If you can get there before the Saturday, then do.   Friday is always good with the pit lane open in the morning, the driver's parade in the town centre in the afternoon/evening and the pre-race build up on Saturday at the circuit.    Don't worry about the language - many French speak English and there are about 80,000 very identifiable Brits there every year.   Be prepared to spend the rest of your life planning the trip and returning every year.   Prepare your family to be bored fartless by stories of wonder from each time you visit.  Enjoy.   Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 03:04:47 pm »

Buy / beg / steal a sleeping bag for when you're 'poorly' with drink and manage to get some sleep somewhere.

Steve East Anglian cobras

johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 03:42:31 pm »

Thanks for the info guys, good ideas are most appreciated.  I think I will book the train back to De Gaulle and bring a sleeping bag.   My plane should be leaving early Monday AM for Texas and back to 90+F. temperatures.  I watched the movie Le Mans (Steve McQueen) last night and saw the cold, rainey weather.   People seem to just lay down where ever and sleep even outside the camping areas.  Layers of clothes and raingear may be needed.  I'm trying to determine how many Euros I may need ie. bus from the train station to the Circuit, junk food and drink, souvenirs, toilets, etc.  I would think some vendors, food establishments would take credit cards.   Well, that's about it for now, hope to meet some of you folks at the race and personally thank you for the information.  It may take awhile though to weed through 80,000 Brits just to find all of you.  
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 03:51:29 pm »

We'll be the ones wearing the Club Arnage 't' shirts

Also, scheduled to meet up at The Champagne Bar in the 'Village' on Saturday night.

Steve East Anglian cobras

johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 03:59:43 pm »

I need to get me one of those!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 04:25:59 pm »

What, the t-shirt or Anna ?  Wink

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 04:48:05 pm »

I fear that the attendee's on Saturday nite in the Champs bar wearing the aforesaid attire may not be as easy on the eye as the luvverly lady modelling the shirt...  Grin Grin

DW
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 05:01:17 pm »

As to the shirt or Anna, depends how cold the weather may be Roll Eyes...and as far as you guys are concerned, I won't be looking at you for sure.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 05:40:35 pm »

As to the shirt or Anna, depends how cold the weather may be Roll Eyes...and as far as you guys are concerned, I won't be looking at you for sure.

John, last year it was very hot.  An hours worth of fine rain, but nothing bad.  Hot hot hot.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 06:35:29 pm »

I need to get me one of those!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

John

Look at the Teeshirt thread in the General Discussion forum. They are just about to be ordered up, but if you ask Robbo nicely (and quickly), I'm sure he'll make sure you get one.

Meeting is at the Champaigne Bar at 21.00 on the saturday night. Don't be shy, there'll be dozens of us there.

Andy Z

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 09:33:14 pm »

Welcome Texas John. You have found the best and most helpful Le Mans site on the web.

Take about 200 Euro's for spending , and dont worry you dont pay for the loo's.

Afterwards you may want a refund for having to use the loo's..

Come meet us at the bar at 2100 hrs. T Shirts, you maybe a little late now ( e mail me if you want one ) , but i am doing a special last minute order in April , should there be a need.

Enjoy. I went in 2000 and it just gets better, this will be my 5th year and i still havent a clue about lots of things.

Don’t worry about rain, you’ll dry very quickly. i would recommend sun Tan Lotion.

Maybe see you there

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: