Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 02:34:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Booking Ferries, Dover - Calais  (Read 9731 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2003, 05:54:59 pm »

Q1.  Any suggestions as to the best way to book a ferry for 8 cars, and are there any deals going ?
Agent ?
Phone the Ferry ?
Ferries web site ?
E-mail the Ferry ?

Q2.  For Dover / Calais
P & O ?
Seafrance ?
Hoverspeed ?
Norfolk Line ?
Tunnel ?

Muchos gracias.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 06:02:47 pm »

I would choose Hoverspeed, its quicker than a normal ferry, there are no lorries and in the past as it does not go into the port is less prone to action by strikers.

as for deals, I would try direct first then ring around some of the brokers, somtimes AA members etc get discount etc, you also get discount when booking over the net, but to do 8 cars will be time consumming.

I have never used the tunnel, when I was at school we where taught that we where moving away from france at about a foot a year, and I dont think concrete stretchs

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Mr Toad
CA Veteran

Carrefour will provide!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 06:04:25 pm »

I've only done this route once before a few years ago - I thought you just turned up and got the next boat as they went at least once an hour? I'd like to know the answer here too...Let's hope they don't go on strike again in 2004!

www.beermountain.com - Home of the LM Camping Survival Guide!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 11:45:06 pm »

In my experience prices are much of a muchness on the ferries. Hoverspeed and the tunnel are a bit more pricey. P&O usually comes out best for me. I used the tunnel once and personally prefer the ferry - but there is no doubt the tunnel is quick (and shorter check in time too I think).

When I've researched buying from another source, they haven't matched the prices I've been able to obtain directly. Websites are usually the cheapest, but keep an eye out for offers in various newspapers.

The websites are a bit clumsy, and don't seem to always retain your settings when you use the Back button, which is a bit annoying if you are doing "what if" comparisons.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 01:08:18 am »

and it takes f***ng ages to dig a tunnel..

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 01:48:31 am »

I hate to say this but when i worked for P&O , Seafrance were cheaper , but werent as frequent, which is why P&O were more popular .

If you phone " Group Bookings" at Dover , via the standard number , they may offer you a reduced rate if " YOU ARE ORDERING FOR AN ASSOSIATED CAR CLUB"  which you are , arent you - Cobras of east Anglia , or something.

They will book all the tickets , simple , or it was a while ago.

Mr Toad -

You must book a ticket on A ferry , but as they are so frequent , you can normally just jump onto the next one , it works as a rolling waiting list .

Only a few times will you ever be told that the sailing is full , and you must have youre origional booked ticket / sailing .

Dont use the tunnel - Its shocking.

At least with a ferry  , you know you have left / arrived in another country. There are some shocking stories from truckers of hald sleeping drivers trying to get into the wrong lanes on busy roads , with terrible consequences.

strikes - Who knows , thats the french for you.. love em and hate em.

Take life by the horns and live it.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 10:06:58 am »

Advantage to ferry over tunnel............you can a decent breakfast (bit pricey) before starting out on the other side.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 03:44:35 pm »

Dont use the tunnel - Its shocking.

I'm surprised you say this, Robbo. I always found the tunnel quicker, no more expensive (and sometimes a damn sight cheaper) than the ferry and quite agreeable. Granted, there's no bar to piss it up in, or breakfast to chow on, but I used it because it was just more efficient.
Probably wouldn't have been quite so attractive had I lived in central/sw England, but I did used to fret a bit about driving off the ferry with a skinful - not very p.c. anymore.
The (free) autoroute between Sangatte and Rouen squashes the Newhaven/Dieppe argument IMO also.
Finally the ramps at the tunnel terminals are not as steep and are therefore kinder to low-slung cars like Cobras etc.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 04:17:28 pm »

I am too frightrned to use the tunnel. Silly maybe , but thats why i think its shicking . at least on a ferry you can , jump , swim , get a life raft , etc, the fire in the tunnel scared me , I think its Claustrophobic .

I have never taken a low slung car ( or any car )on the tube , but i know when i have at Portsmouth, they are very good at moving ramps to make it easy.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 08:31:21 pm »

Thanks all.
We've previously booked Dover / Calais via an agent.  But this time we're 'going independant'.  
I don't generally have underside clearance problems, the car has side exhausts, but I've seen a Caterham 7 type car on the Portsmouth / Cherbourg route damage it's sump on the ramps.

I'll try the Dover phone number after the festivities.

Oh Robbo.  The tunnel is pretty much like driving your car into your garage and sitting in it for 45 minutes without being able to go anywhere.  Pretty uninspiring really, but it's quicker.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 08:33:26 pm by Steve Brown » Logged

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 01:31:42 am »

Thanks all.
We've previously booked Dover / Calais via an agent.  But this time we're 'going independant'.  
I don't generally have underside clearance problems, the car has side exhausts, but I've seen a Caterham 7 type car on the Portsmouth / Cherbourg route damage it's sump on the ramps.

I'll try the Dover phone number after the festivities.

Oh Robbo.  The tunnel is pretty much like driving your car into your garage and sitting in it for 45 minutes without being able to go anywhere.  Pretty uninspiring really, but it's quicker.

I dont have a garage.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 05:57:12 pm »

But you've got an imagination ??   Grin Grin

rcutler
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 09:35:58 am »

I would suggest using the SeaFrance Company as it is generally cheaper and being that it is a french company the strikes seem to pay a blinf eye to them for some reason.
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 10:47:44 am »

wonder why that would be....?

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Mr Toad
CA Veteran

Carrefour will provide!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 06:15:33 pm »

Is that right? I always thought that you would have a better chance with a UK ferry company? Isn't it normally the dock workers, so no one gets in or out?

www.beermountain.com - Home of the LM Camping Survival Guide!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: