Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:31:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr Cruise, please don't screw it up.............................................  (Read 13962 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:56 pm »

Weren't J79s still an official secret in Art Arfons day.  I recall he had a lot of grief getting parts, and visits from the FBI

And Shirley promises 450 mph, but the car seems to have disappeared

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:22 pm »

Yep, I remember seeing a interview with Art before he passed away, and he recounted how the Defense Dept, Air Force, etc. all had their panties in a bunch over the fact he was able to get his mits on one of those.  Being the tough old gus he was, he basically told them to get stuffed, he purchased it fair & square, and he wasn't giving it back.  As I recall, it all started when he contacted GE to get a manual for it, and the sh*t hit the fan (jet turbine fan that is Grin)
Agreed, haven't heard much more about Shirley's LSR car.  Getting funding for projects like these are tough these days.
Fax
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:13 pm »

Getting funding for projects like these are tough these days.
Fax

Very true.  Seen how much Bloodhound has cost so far?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

....Very true.  Seen how much Bloodhound has cost so far?
Isn't anyone going to tell us?

Over 2 years ago it was £6.5 million, and they seemed to have borrowed a £5 million Eurofighter engine, but I haven't heard much recently.  Runway testing of up to 200 mph is scheduled to take place early in 2014.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:28 pm »

Plenty of updates and info here - http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:38 pm »

I'm a bit equivocal about Bloodhound.

I liked the Thrust 2 project and slightly less so Thrust SSC. Thrust 2 had the genuine look and feel of being built in a shed by scruffy bearded men. SSC was still home-grown but in a more aeronautic white overall kind of way. Bloodhound is just too thoroughly worthy and corporate, it leaves me completely cold.

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:11 am »

I'm a bit equivocal about Bloodhound.

I liked the Thrust 2 project and slightly less so Thrust SSC. Thrust 2 had the genuine look and feel of being built in a shed by scruffy bearded men. SSC was still home-grown but in a more aeronautic white overall kind of way. Bloodhound is just too thoroughly worthy and corporate, it leaves me completely cold.

You are of course quite right  Grand Fromage   however we will forgive them all that ... When they go 1000 MPH  Grin
Phil
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 07:26:07 am »

Hi Steve,
Old GE J79 engines from F-104 Starfighter's seem to be a popular choice with the LSR guys.   If I recall correctly, Art Arfon's used one to power his Green Monster back in the sixties.
Fax

'Didn't power Thrust, tho', did they?  Wink Grin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:27:53 am by jimclark » Logged

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 01:22:26 am »

'Didn't power Thrust, tho', did they?  Wink Grin

[anorak ON]
Thrust 1 = 1 x Rolls Royce Derwent
Thrust 2 = 1 x Rolls Royce Avon 302
Thrust SSC = 2 x Rolls Royce Spey 205
[/anorak OFF]

landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »

I did attend a dinner back in late 2011 [poss early 2012] and one of the project guys from Bloodhound was there as a speaker that evening.

He told us that Bloodhound is primarily about getting kids interested in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths] and that as a by-product they would also have a go at the record.

Whether you & I really believe that statement is, of course, another matter  Wink

Crouch..........bind..........set
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:36 pm »

I went to a similar event organized by the Jaguar club. That is pretty much what put me off the project. Going for land speed records should be a hairy chested, nerves of steel pursuit that is gloriously and wholeheartedly just for the hell of it. The schools thing makes it all a bit prissy and apologetic. 

I did attend a dinner back in late 2011 [poss early 2012] and one of the project guys from Bloodhound was there as a speaker that evening.

He told us that Bloodhound is primarily about getting kids interested in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths] and that as a by-product they would also have a go at the record.

Whether you & I really believe that statement is, of course, another matter  Wink
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:14 pm »

GF, this is the story I heard.

Richard Noble went knocking on the door of Lord Drayson (at the time, Minister of State for Defence) to ask for a Rolls Royce EJ200 engine.
Drayson was bemoaning the state of science / engineering in the education system and implied that a big 'project' was needed to get the interest of school children.
Noble agreed and said they could help in a limited way.
The result of some negotiation appears to be the Bloodhound STEM programme in exchange for a EJ200.

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:55 pm »

The result of some negotiation appears to be the Bloodhound STEM programme in exchange for a EJ200.

Perhaps so - couldn't possibly comment - but it is not the primary driver, that's Richard Noble who likes the LSR, the team around him and Wing Commander Andy Green who continues to drive the cars.  It does, however, give the project an extra dimension and, like interest in cars and motorsport, capture them when young.... .

And I get the comments about "built in a shed and hairy-chested stuff".  But do, perhaps, reflect that it's not exactly a full-blown factory/OEM effort, with a vehicle built around an EJ200, a one-off rocket fuelled booster, and an old F1 engine as the fuel pump.  Dealing with issues such as whether the EJ200 can cope with a 3+g deceleration which it's not designed for is interesting when you have to make 2 runs.  Integrating an EJ200 into the vehicle that has to be fooled into thinking that it's in a Typhoon.  And they are trying to achieve 1,000mph while still attached to the ground. Struggling to find backing and support.  Rolls-Royce is now officially supporting the project (since May) and is providing financial and technical support - that's a real first and a indication of confidence - they have not associated their name or provided support for all other LSR attempts using their engines.

So, it's more in an "aeronautic white overall kind of way" than some might imagine, but with the supplement of needing to raise funding and trying to capture the interest of today's youth. Not a bad effort, I would venture....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 09:05:11 pm »

My daughters school was visited today by team bloodhound, which much to her disappointment had nothing to do with dogs.

I feel she was underwhelmed by the experience.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 12:17:06 am »

Never mind Nordic perhaps she is more cut out to be a veterinarian  and leave the rockets and engineering to others.
I bet at least one small flame has been lit in the mind of a student at to days gathering. Perhaps they caught the attention of some Day Dreamer.
Beware the dreamer of the day for they dream with their eyes wide open....and turn their dreams into reality.
Phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: