Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 07:29:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replica Cars. Naff or Not?  (Read 13075 times)
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

.....I shudder to think what would have happened in an accident.

I know what happens  -   RIP Charlie, Ace, Steve n Rocky

(Charlie incidentally being the only boyfriend of mine that my mum liked... even though he was an utter villain - but he sure knew how to charm the ladies!)   Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:46:42 pm by Fran » Logged
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »

A beautiful, rare, reliable and impressive open top British 60's classic on a budget is a bit of a tall order. A real one rather than replica makes it even more difficult. On a tight schedule... next to impossible

Someone has to win the lottery though, and you may hit the jackpot anyway, I hope you beat the odds and find what you are looking for.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »

But to hell with it, I still have a grin from ear to ear when I drive it, and that's the point. Go for it and enjoy.

That's it. End of the debate. Cheesy

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »

ENCOURAGEMENT

Woodcote Goodwood

Thursday afternoon 24 hours

Montlhery with the C-type

Moloja in the Alps

You really won't enjoy it at all  Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:58:49 pm by lynxd67 » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »

I built my Dax cobra replica from 1995 to 1997 and it still sits in my garage, waiting to blast down the road.  It has a sensible 6.6 litre V8, a traditional 4 speed gearbox, bombproof Jaguar XJS brakes and suspension .... and has been known to scare the willies out of passengers (and the driver!).

I don't do a huge amount of miles in it, but it has effortlessly got me to Le Mans about 8 times, plus many UK road trips.  As a weekend toy / occasional cross channel tourer, it does it for me.

When I built it, I deliberated avoided making it a bling palace whilst resisting the urge to make a slavish 'copy' of the real thing (whatever that is).  If you don't like the words replica or kit car, use 'recreation'.  When people ask me what it is, I tell them it's a Dax.

And as for earlier comments regarding poor handling, dodgy brakes, rubbish etc - welcome to the 21st century people.  Thanks to the SVA / IVA test, those back of the garage 'specials' are a thing of the past.

Finally, for an independent view on what it's like around a track, have a word with Fran, Smokie or Andy Z who have all tested the passenger seat at the RAF Marham track day.

Here she is - 

RAF Marham MAR-1005-05-OUT-UNC-103 by Steve Brown, on Flickr

TRACK DAY AT RAF MARHAM by Steve Brown, on Flickr

Steve East Anglian cobras

Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »

Audi A4 Avant mate... you know you want to... Grin Grin

Actually I like the MGBRV8, think that is what it is called

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 01:02:06 pm »

Well, I'm a wee bit loser to my choice. I'm going down to the Croft Nostalgia Weekend next Saturday to have a look at the 289 Register's stand. I'm already penning out a spec and rotting up a budget.

No doubt ill have a thousand silly questions for you Steve,, but first off, what engine and box are you running? And who built your engine and to what spec?

Dick Dasterdly was right
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

Some great pix there Mr Lynx, they capture the classic jag ethos very smartly. I'll be down in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, which I'm (sort of) looking forward to, as it's been 3 years or so since I was last down to LM. I'll also be getting to go round the circuit, which on the face of it sounds great, but on the arse of it, really doesn't:

http://www.24heuresvelo.fr/en/24-HOURS-CYCLING-RACE-7.htm

Anyway, here's a pic to dovetail Steve's and yours nicely.

You've got me hooked Si, keep us up to date!

H

* 467318844Rqhslx_fs.jpg (325.02 KB, 750x563 - viewed 412 times.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:05:59 pm by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:16 am »

I'm I a bit of a quandary at the moment  I seek your collective wisdom.

car doesn't have to be practical.

I looked at the Gerry Hawkridge 289 kit and did a bit of research. I've fancied one in the past, got the brochure, phone calls and emails, lists, budgets, etc  but didn't get any further.

I think I have issues with the term 'kit car'.

It would be a good choice for what I want from it, and it would be fun to build a new car from scratch without all the usual pain of restoring some clapped out rusty hulk only to see it rust away again.

Hi Si,
       I was apposed to a Kit car until your line about  build it yourself. Then it won't be a replica of anything it will be "Your Car" and you can call it what ever you want. I look forward to seeing the finished product at LM.
By the way Land Rovers never die...they just look like that  Grin
Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:46 pm »

Finally, for an independent view on what it's like around a track, have a word with Fran, Smokie or Andy Z who have all tested the passenger seat at the RAF Marham track day.

Never forget it Steve. It was a bit faster than the Commer, though perhaps not as noisy.

I'll also never forget going round with BigH, who'd have thought crossply Dunlops had so little grip...

And also lapping with MGMark in the A, a surprisingly nippy little beggar.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »

No doubt ill have a thousand silly questions for you Steve,, but first off, what engine and box are you running? And who built your engine and to what spec?

Si, as I said before, I'm not a slave to originality, so the engine is from a very rusty early 70's Trans Am I used to own ...... yes, it's a Pontiac  Shocked
So, the engine is a early 70's Pontiac 400 (6.6 litre) with a Richmond Super T10 4 speed (as originally fitted to the Pontiac and similar to a Toploader).
The engine was rebuilt by some bloke called Steve Brown (machining / crank regrind by http://www.realsteel.co.uk/ in Uxbridge.  The engine has Edelbrock Performer Plus camshaft & intake manifold, Holley Street Avenger carb, custom headers / ignition.  Apart from a light honing, bore / stroke are pretty well stock.  Pontiac engines are renowned for being torque monsters and don't need to rev to silly numbers.

In a car this light you don't need silly horsepower to put a big grin on your face.  If you're going the 289 route, it really needs to be small block Ford / Toploader (although I've known people to fit the T5 (Worldclass spec) to a Ford 302).  Modern gearbox alternatives are Tremec TKO500 / 600 - a five speed - which would be well suited to a 289.
Have a look at http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/ for bespoke engine / trans packages - they are very well regarded in the kit car / US engine worlds.

If you are looking at building a 289, the UK marketplace is pretty much only http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/  There are also some good second hand Hawk 289s about - builders tend to go for originality and hence would suit your idea of 'the gentlemans sportscar'.

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »

Some great pix there Mr Lynx, they capture the classic jag ethos very smartly. I'll be down in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, which I'm (sort of) looking forward to, as it's been 3 years or so since I was last down to LM. I'll also be getting to go round the circuit, which on the face of it sounds great, but on the arse of it, really doesn't:

http://www.24heuresvelo.fr/en/24-HOURS-CYCLING-RACE-7.htm

H

Bloody hell H. I've been itching to do that race but none if my lot wanted to do it. I'd have done a solo 24h if I had known there would be other normal people there. Oh we'll, best of luck and let us know how you got on.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 12:30:11 pm »

Si, as I said before, I'm not a slave to originality, so the engine is from a very rusty early 70's Trans Am I used to own ...... yes, it's a Pontiac  Shocked
So, the engine is a early 70's Pontiac 400 (6.6 litre) with a Richmond Super T10 4 speed (as originally fitted to the Pontiac and similar to a Toploader).
The engine was rebuilt by some bloke called Steve Brown (machining / crank regrind by http://www.realsteel.co.uk/ in Uxbridge.  The engine has Edelbrock Performer Plus camshaft & intake manifold, Holley Street Avenger carb, custom headers / ignition.  Apart from a light honing, bore / stroke are pretty well stock.  Pontiac engines are renowned for being torque monsters and don't need to rev to silly numbers.

In a car this light you don't need silly horsepower to put a big grin on your face.  If you're going the 289 route, it really needs to be small block Ford / Toploader (although I've known people to fit the T5 (Worldclass spec) to a Ford 302).  Modern gearbox alternatives are Tremec TKO500 / 600 - a five speed - which would be well suited to a 289.
Have a look at http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/ for bespoke engine / trans packages - they are very well regarded in the kit car / US engine worlds.

If you are looking at building a 289, the UK marketplace is pretty much only http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/  There are also some good second hand Hawk 289s about - builders tend to go for originality and hence would suit your idea of 'the gentlemans sportscar'.

Thanks Steve. Some useful stuff there and some interesting points to mull over. I've pretty much decided on a 289 FIA which will run a 289 and a top loader, plus the IRS suspension based around a Salisbury/Dana diff (OK, a Jag axle if we want to be straight). I've been looking at British American Engines for the power plant and box. Are they a good company to deal with? I've dealt with Real Steel in the past when I rebuilt my 383 Chrysler but found the delays in stock a bit frustrating. Should be less of an issue with this being a longer term project.

Timeframe? Budget twiddling dependant, I'd like to have the car ready and sorted in time for Le Mans 2015.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »

Bloody hell H. I've been itching to do that race but none if my lot wanted to do it. I'd have done a solo 24h if I had known there would be other normal people there. Oh we'll, best of luck and let us know how you got on.

http://www.24heuresvelo.fr/en/THE-SHOP-255.htm

Never mind, you can get the Jersey. (in fact, I might just do that!)

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:54 am »

Si, there's a few folk over at http://www.cobraclub.com/ who have bought engines from British American Engines (BAE) and the consensus is they are a good company to deal with.
As you know, the Ford 260 / 289 is just a slightly smaller bore / stroke than the plentiful 302 small block.  Unless you get out the CSI gear, a well presented 302 would look identical to a 289 (a much rarer engine).

As to the Toploader, unless you know of a UK supplier / rebuilder, http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/ are a good company.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: