Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 07:31:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: english bloke who reads out results  (Read 9010 times)
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:45 pm »

that english bloke who reads out the current results every 3 hour or so over the speaker system at the circuit.who is he ?could the aco give him the sack and get somebody with a personality to read out the positions.he sounds suicidal and does my nut in.does anuone know where he lives so i can go and lock him in.rant over.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »

His name is David Waldron. He is a lovely bloke and very knowledgeable. He also does all the 'live' translation for the ACO, and the ACO press releases. He was born in Ireland but has lived in Paris most of his life and is married to a very nice French lady.

I have to agree that his vocal 'delivery' is a bit dry, and puts one in mind of a 1950's BBC newsreader, but I actually think that over the decades he has become a bit of a Le Mans phenomenon, and his unmistakable monotone is part of the Le Mans atmosphere.
Shortcut
CA Veteran

Team Booze 'n' Tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »

Thanks for the info GF, I have wondered for years who he was.  You are correct though, his knowledge of the race is vast, but his delivery is straight from the 1950,s, but he is part of the whole Le Mans experience.  I have been going for 30 years, and we used to rely on him back in the days before Radio Le Mans.

"What do you mean you are busy in the second week in June for the rest of your life!"
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »

I rather like his delivery and would miss him if he stopped.  To me he is the 'English voice of Le Mans'.  Long may he continue!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »

He kept me informed for many years before radio le man's. It was always easy to spot the British, gathered around a tannoy every hour.

I would rather listen to him than that god awful yank radio le man's have to put up with.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18:05 am »

I'm with you on that one. Back Straightaway and Pit Road indeed, and who will ever forget "The Poo joes"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:45:59 am by Bob U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:14:53 pm »

He kept me informed for many years before radio le man's. It was always easy to spot the British, gathered around a tannoy every hour.

I would rather listen to him than that god awful yank radio le man's have to put up with.

Quite
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:41:13 pm »

I like him too so leave him alone.

He's akin to the football results reader Tim Gudgin who retired last year after 60 years behind the BBC microphone. He could read out East Fife 4 - Forfar 5 without sniggering. Most people I know could not.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »

I can understand where you're coming from lofty but for me he's no where near as bad as Robbie Knock on Eurosport  Roll Eyes He just looks so uncomfortable & awkward on camera. the worst part is he hasn't got any better in the years he's been doing it.
He walked past me in the pit lane last year & I was very tempted to trip him up  Grin
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »

I think he has a great voice and adds to the atmosphere - though I must admit that I am not sure I ever heard him finish a sentence during the 1980’s and 1990’s as just at the vital part of the update an Aston or Jag or the like would thunder past - happy days.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »

Can vaguely remember hearing him during my trips there, reminded me a bit of the late, lamented Anthony Marsh, who used to do the English language commentary at the European GP's in the sixties & seventies (if you watch the film Grand Prix, he does all the commentary for that)
Fax
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »

go him david waldron the (irish) english voice of le mans.reads the news like he is counting tin of beans in john majors larder.i cant understand how he can keep so demure while comentating on what is normally a bit exiting.i do appreciate the irony though.i do remember straining at the tannoy to hear the positions and was greatfull but its a motor race not indoor bowls.defo better than the bach straightaway anyday.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »

While the ACO tries to destroy the whole event as far as the non corporate fans are concerned, I agree with Andy, leave him be.
A voice that is a constant part of the LM experience, it may not be brilliant or hi tech, but is a comforting traditional part of the whole experience.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 12:37:42 am »

Its the French bloke that always gets me. Babbles on for a bit then says something with a voice that sounds like hes screaming a sh*t out. Everyone turns to the video screens and nothing is happening.  Grin
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:22:38 am »

... the French bloke

Also known as Bruno Vandestick. Yes he is very excitable and sort of the 'anti-particle' to David Waldron.

I love it when Bruno says "Ohh la-la la-la la-la" (with that slightly musical French intonation) :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: