Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 04:20:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bentley GT3  (Read 8614 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:34:24 pm »

The rumors seem to be true.

Bentley will launch a customer GT3 car very soon, hopefully it will have been on a diet!

This will mean that VAG will potentially line up with 4 brands on a GT3 grid.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

In the flesh

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102870

and

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/09/26/leaked-bentley-continental-gt3/?pid=66732&gallery=5417#tp

Well done to the boys in Crewe Smiley
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:07 pm »

Good luck too them.

RML are rumoured to behind the car, which if correct give it a good background.

Maybe the ACO should drop the GTE (GT2) pro and am for GTE pro and GT3.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:08 am »

I'd stand and cheer for that.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:07 am »

I'd stand and cheer for that.

me too

video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3G_MdW-kt0

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:20 am »

Folks get all misty-eyed when they hear the name Bentley, but the heady days of the Bentley boys are long gone and will never return. The name has been bought and sold, used and misused for the best part of a century since then.

The Bentley programme a decade ago at Le Mans was a lesson in how to buy a victory. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. They poured in money, got their win and then f***d off.  Not because they ran out of money or technology or opportunity, but because they chose to. From the outset there was never any intention to run the programme for more than 3 years.

Forgive my cynicism but I can't get excited about a Bentley GT3. I certainly wouldn't encourage the ACO to adjust the regs, just to let one into the 24 hours.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:40:46 pm by Grand_Fromage » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

I can see what your saying, but the same could be said of many cars and teams over the years, its not often the underdog gets the win when up against the might of a works run team.

The program was always stated as a 3 year run, never more and at least they saw it thru where others have gave up mid program and walked away.

I do like the way they milk the win, the LM winning speed 8 (*or at least one of them) is at almost every motorsport event. Pretty sure it would turn up at a local fete if asked.

Given the amount of GT3 cars being offered, it would make sense to give them a class at Le Mans. With GT1 fading away and rulled out of LM (again), surley it would make sense to ditch the current GT1's, exisiting GT2 would become GT1 and GT3 become GT2 etc.

I do wonder if mercedes would let the GT3 run at Le Mans though. Not their favorite place I think.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

Traffic problems between prototypes and GTE cars is already bad enough. Adding GT3 cars trundling around would make matters much worse. I can't see it happening at LM. But... GT3 cars were invited to the ELMS (just before it collapsed like a wet paper bag), so perhaps we might see them bolster-up the grids of the WEC when it inevitably runs into similar trouble.

I can see what your saying, but the same could be said of many cars and teams over the years, its not often the underdog gets the win when up against the might of a works run team.

The program was always stated as a 3 year run, never more and at least they saw it thru where others have gave up mid program and walked away.

I do like the way they milk the win, the LM winning speed 8 (*or at least one of them) is at almost every motorsport event. Pretty sure it would turn up at a local fete if asked.

Given the amount of GT3 cars being offered, it would make sense to give them a class at Le Mans. With GT1 fading away and rulled out of LM (again), surley it would make sense to ditch the current GT1's, exisiting GT2 would become GT1 and GT3 become GT2 etc.

I do wonder if mercedes would let the GT3 run at Le Mans though. Not their favorite place I think.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »

I hope the ACO don't mess with the regs any more- look at the current privateer LMP1 roster to see how a lack of stability can affect interest.

The current GT rules work well IMO. A team like Risi, or Luxury etc etc can run a top spec car for its top drivers and not worry about a limited shelf life. That current top line car becomes eligible for GTam once it loses it's competetive edge; they can then run it in a different class with paying gentlemen drivers. It keeps the value of the car high and means they can develop and invest in GTPro knowing that the car has a financial future after a seasons front line racing.
 From a privateer point of view, a new GT3 probably costs more than a two year old GT2. Racing being racing, that GT3 car would probably be obselete within 2 years and have no resale value. Teams like Risi need paying drivers in those Am cars to make ends meet. If they have to invest in new GT3 cars as well as new GT2 cars every year then I doubt they could make it financially viable. Thus, killing any new class before it begins.

Keep it as it is. Stability is everything. If Bentley want to play, they have to build a GT2 car like everyone else.

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

I couldn't agree more. The current GT regs ain't broken so don't try to fix them. Stability is everything in developing a race series. The ACO aren't perfect but at least they do make an attempt to introduce changes slowly and with 24 months notice.

Radical and short notice change in regs is a sure sign of a race series in trouble.

Keep it as it is. Stability is everything. If Bentley want to play, they have to build a GT2 car like everyone else.

Si
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:23 pm »

and very bad at typing
mulc99
CA Veteran

I'm not fat. Just suffer from malnutrition!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »

WOW!!!!! Lets just hope that it is long term!!! Grin Grin Grin
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:40:31 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB8iBzDhdZc

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »

With Ford pulling out of the WRC,  M sport have lost no time in securing work with Bentley.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104857

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »

Does this mean Matthew Wilson will be driving it?

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: