Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 03:35:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northen beer  (Read 13859 times)
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2003, 10:58:58 pm »

Dave .

You can always stroll down the rieperbahn....Strangely enough the local brew is Becks.....but the aforementioned street has a few more attractions which Le Mans is now missing!!!"!!

As far as eating out in Hamburg I am unable to help you.....but if you like Doner kebabs,there are plenty o kebab shops on Germany,due to the itinerant population of Turks

Wishy
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2003, 12:41:49 pm »

Was rather partial to VB in Australia - Zarse, were you quaffing that at all?

I mostly drank VB whilst we were in Queensland last month.
However, I have to say, VB (or Victoria Bitter) is incorrectly named as Bitter it most certainly ain't !!
Most of the Aussy locals had the same opinion about XXXX and Fosters as our US CA'ers have about Budweiser and other gas 'beers'.

There were a couple of interesting bottled beers I came across (so to speak) in the off licenses but there names escape me - age induced amnesia!

On the subject of Aussy off licenses, these are locally known as 'bottle shops' and are almost universally 'drive in' - yes that's right.
They are large garage type places with some shelving to each side of the lanes.  There's a browsing lane where you get out of the car, or the express lane where you're drooling for a cold stubby and the shop assistants take your money and put the beer in your car for you - excellant.
However, the concept of cars and alcohol combined seems to be a bit bizarre to us Brits ??

Steve East Anglian cobras

Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2003, 05:04:44 pm »

I'd agree Steve - VB certainly isn't bitter - kind of fizzy, but not bad though.

We also have drive-through "beer shacks" for sake of a better word in more rural parts of the US.  All in the spirit of "For God's sake, don't make me walk anywhere... Just let me sit on my expanding ass cheeks in the car".  I think they're mostly a hick-town thing though.

Wishy - I think I could give one of my US clients a coronary taking him to the rieperbahn.  I sat across the aisle from him on a flight back from Aus to LA last month and he read his bible the whole flight!  At least it wasn't the Koran!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2003, 07:52:18 pm »

I think I could give one of my US clients a coronary taking him to the rieperbahn.  I sat across the aisle from him on a flight back from Aus to LA last month and he read his bible the whole flight!

A trip to the Rieperbahn would probably do him the world of good then.  He'd be able to check out all the sinners and fornicators going about their 'business'.  He could treat it as a field trip.  Grin

saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2003, 09:27:53 am »

Lads Lads we're talking about beer, not American or australian attempts at making urine palatable. Matt I have to take is issue about Tetleys, to my palate, I would rate a good 30 beers above that, sorry. It is after all a mattyer of taste
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 01:01:16 pm »

Spent a fortnight in Yorkshire this year, and very nice it was to.  The whole experience was made much better by the existance of a local brewery.  http://www.croptonbrewery.co.uk/

Now, I know that you northern chaps like a head on yer beer cause it's flat otherwise, which is total bo**ocks, and some other chaps like it without a half pint head, but Timothy Taylors, and Tetleys...........are you MAD

I stopped in one pub in Yorkshire (can't remember the town) and the ONLY beer on tap was John Smiths.............I nearly threw up.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 05:12:36 pm »

Saveloy - Blasphemer!!!! Wash your mouth out with soap and water - you sinner!
Gibberish - erm, yes - qiute - that's exactly what you're talking.

The Joshua Tetley Brewery, in Hunslet, Leeds, produces the finest bitter ale in the world - this is totally irrefutable and I will not hear another word on the matter to the contrary.

Yes, it does have a creamy head that endures - and adds to the taste and visual appeal.

No, it is not strong - 3.8 abv, I believe. What this means is that one can quaff loads of it without getting bollixed. Good if you like beer - bad if you drink beer, purely to get shitfaced.

No, it doesn't taste like vinegar or look like cold tea that the barman has pissed in - that seems to be the preserve of the filthy concoctions I've been forced to endure in the south east.

The Tetley Bitter in The Brassmoulders Arms in Hunslet is breathtaking - the clientelle, somewhat scary - but it's worth running the gauntlet for such a superlative pint.

I am distraught, because I'm denied this pleasure, since leaving UK - I must admit that Tet doesn't travel too well. They have it on nitro-keg at an "English Pub" here in O'town and it's cack - it must be drunk within 30 miles of the brewery, in my view.

Rant over.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2003, 05:13:03 pm »

If you like good arse kicking real ale, then a trip to East Anglia is in order.
Beers like Adnams Broadside, Woodfordes Wherry, Green King Abbot, Crouch Vale Bitter and small breweries like St Peters, Mauldons, Nethergate, Old Chimneys, Bartrams, Old Cannon, Iceni etc mean I don't venture far from a local pub this time of the year.  Wink

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2003, 05:41:57 pm »

Matt,

T t t t traditional T t t tetley is a bloody g g g good p p p p pint and make no m m m m mistake. Not as good as Tim Taylors landlord tho, one of the best.

But I hate that " Traditional, newly invented, nitrokeg, Smoothpour" piss, which tastes like something out of the pickled onion jar.

I do not know to which filthy Southern brews you are refering tho. Beer in this area is pretty good IMO. Even in London! What is wrong with Youngs or Fullers? Or a miriad of others? If you get a poor pint down here, you can be sure it was brewed oop north. eg Boddingtons, Tetly nitrokeg or John Smiths (the nations top selling beer BTW).

But just to kill the thread off once and for all, the finest beer in the world, bar none, is Harveys Sussex Bitter, a drink on it's own. Fully hopped, fruity and very very bitter, it's still brewed in wood and copper and unchanged for centuries. A proper English yeomans pint.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2003, 06:40:20 pm »

Zarce - I am told , although never tries it .

Gales Brewery , Horndean Special Brew ( HSB ) is the king. ask CAMRA followers ?   Aparrently

Take life by the horns and live it.
saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2003, 06:58:06 pm »

Lads I cede!!!!  the best beer in the World comes from Ringwood hampshire. No more Arguments!!!!!! , although in no particular Order so do  kent Sussex  Devon Cornwall cams Lincs  Worcestershire and a few more. Mind you The Germans do exceedingly fine beers.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 07:05:40 pm »

Mind you The Germans do exceedingly fine beers.

....and Mr. Kipling makes a mean apple pie.....

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2003, 08:42:18 pm »

Matt,

T t t t traditional T t t tetley is a bloody g g g good p p p p pint and make no m m m m mistake. Not as good as Tim Taylors landlord tho, one of the best.

But I hate that " Traditional, newly invented, nitrokeg, Smoothpour" piss, which tastes like something out of the pickled onion jar.

I do not know to which filthy Southern brews you are refering tho. Beer in this area is pretty good IMO. Even in London! What is wrong with Youngs or Fullers? Or a miriad of others? If you get a poor pint down here, you can be sure it was brewed oop north. eg Boddingtons, Tetly nitrokeg or John Smiths (the nations top selling beer BTW).

But just to kill the thread off once and for all, the finest beer in the world, bar none, is Harveys Sussex Bitter, a drink on it's own. Fully hopped, fruity and very very bitter, it's still brewed in wood and copper and unchanged for centuries. A proper English yeomans pint.

Good call on the Timmy's, Mr Zee, but still only a valiant runner-up, in my view.

I spent a miserable year and a half, living in St Leonards on Sea in the mid '80s (what a shithole). There were some lovely pubs out in the Sussex countryside - particularly around your neck of the woods, but I couldn't hack the lifeless, vinegary beer (IPA, Youngs, Fullers, Whitbread, Shepherd Neame etc). I resorted to drinking lager, which got me into lots of punch-ups and a DUI after one too many Hurlemmans (?) - like Stella, only Swiss (same wife-beater effect).

Whilst I concede that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm somewhat predjudiced regarding Yorkshire's finest. It's crap in cans, nitro and wherever it has been shipped long distance, but in the correct circumstances, it's the dog's bollocks and I miss it very sorely.

Added to which, it's f**k*ng raining, we missed bonfire night and I've got the prospect of a 5 hour + flight, departing at 6.00am tomorrow - I'm homesick - let's change the frickin' subject!

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2003, 11:13:24 pm »

Matt , Just read your new ish fighting talk under the picture of the Vette.

Oh a Mini , bloody fighting talk that one.

At least they are controlable , ask Powermites mucka , AJ , about Vette car control..........

Take life by the horns and live it.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2003, 11:35:38 pm »

Oh no - not the f**k*ng mini thread again!

Beer is far more interesting to talk about that minis.

Agreed, American beer is pooh.  So are minis.
Lots of Guinness makes you pooh - hmm, mini again.

Thinking that high performance is trundling around in a mini - well, enough said.

Matt - you appear to have dipped into depression over this whole beer issue.  Let it go man - there's always Zima and Bud Ice!  Smokie - weren't you drinking that at Sebring?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: