Club Arnage
September 24, 2024, 06:21:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be it Sebring or just the US Don't forget the ESTA  (Read 5545 times)
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »

Although am now not going to Sebring:(, I am off to the US soon, and and realised that I originally did an ESTA form in 2010. Just in case you're not aware it only lasts for 2 years, and they now charge for it ($10)

If you're not sure if the one you have is still valid. ESTA On the right of the form, midway down, is an option to see if yours is still valid. All you need is name, date of birth, passport number and Country issuing, and it'll retrieve it for you.

Wooosh!!!!
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:17 pm »

Although am now not going to Sebring:(, I am off to the US soon, and and realised that I originally did an ESTA form in 2010. Just in case you're not aware it only lasts for 2 years, and they now charge for it ($10)

If you're not sure if the one you have is still valid. ESTA On the right of the form, midway down, is an option to see if yours is still valid. All you need is name, date of birth, passport number and Country issuing, and it'll retrieve it for you.
Another $10, just go my renewed passport back £77.50!, it was valid until 1st October which technialy would have given me 17 days leway on my flight out to Sebring. Bit close, and it was going to have to e done any how, so off to ESTA we go!
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:51 pm »

I was literally logging in to post about this.

Don't forget it chaps.

I'm not being funny, but I knew NOTHING about this.  The airline never mentioned it, I've never heard of it - I could very easily have ended up travelling without filling it in.

And....what an absolute sack of sh1te.  $14 for what exactly?  for me to fill in the information that is all attached to my passport (in its chip, and printed) that is also duplicated in my APIS information.....why is this not filled in by the airlines, but more to the point, WHY DOES NOBODY TELL THE TRAVELLER ABOUT THIS WHEN THEY BOOK THE FRIKKING TICKETS?!?!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:22:00 am »

Book with a decent airliner, they'll tell ya.... BA told I should check it, and of course mine goes till mid february, and the passport goes till end of june..

Wat is this with a passport that is valid for 'at least 6 months' It is f*ing valid on day of travel and day of return!

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:53 am »

I could be wrong, but I thought it was because you get a visa to stay for 3 months, which can be extended to 6 months if you can prove you're holidaying.  I always thought it was because it's much harder to facilitate a new passport from outside your country of residence, so they work on the basis of it being valid for as long as the maximum amount of time you could legally stay in the country.....but I can't quote sources - just the reason I thought they did it!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:59:06 am »

Book with a decent airliner, they'll tell ya.... BA told I should check it, and of course mine goes till mid february, and the passport goes till end of june..

Wat is this with a passport that is valid for 'at least 6 months' It is f*ing valid on day of travel and day of return!
Yep passport needs to be valid for 6 months otherwise you will have a problem with us immigration. I think you will find that the APIS will flag it up if you put in a short date.
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:25 am »

I was literally logging in to post about this.

Don't forget it chaps.

I'm not being funny, but I knew NOTHING about this.  The airline never mentioned it, I've never heard of it - I could very easily have ended up travelling without filling it in.

And....what an absolute sack of sh1te.  $14 for what exactly?  for me to fill in the information that is all attached to my passport (in its chip, and printed) that is also duplicated in my APIS information.....why is this not filled in by the airlines, but more to the point, WHY DOES NOBODY TELL THE TRAVELLER ABOUT THIS WHEN THEY BOOK THE FRIKKING TICKETS?!?!
Brad, because this is 2 years old now, sadly it is assumed that everyone knows about it. If you don't travel to the states often you'll never know, and i agree that as this is a 'requirement' we should be notified when booking flights.

All this duplicated input does is show that US Immigration system is in a mess.

Wooosh!!!!
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »

Doesn't this reinforce the fact the US immigration system could be as screwed up as ours?

Any comment for our friends in the States, what dross do you have to go through to come to europe?

The cost of the paper to add to your passport
$ 14  ESTA
$ 140 Visa

I bet the american citizensdont see any of this highway tourist robbery put back into their economy.
How about another government gala or ball next week, What shall we celebrate this time............ Roll Eyes

OH hum just got to cough up

Andy
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

According to the US Gov website...

" The money collected from travelers will be spent for advertising to get tourists to visit the United States"

The ESTA was free until the 'Travel Promotion Act' of 2009, but at least it lasts for 2 years. It does sound pretty stupid if your tourist numbers are in decline, to essentially 'tax' visitors. The value of the $14 that goes advertising the USA as a tourist destination, is far outweighed by the 'unpleasant surprise' factor at check in for many travellers.

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:03 pm »

I could be wrong, but I thought it was because you get a visa to stay for 3 months, which can be extended to 6 months if you can prove you're holidaying.  I always thought it was because it's much harder to facilitate a new passport from outside your country of residence, so they work on the basis of it being valid for as long as the maximum amount of time you could legally stay in the country.....but I can't quote sources - just the reason I thought they did it!

All ESTA is, is an electronic version of the I-94W - that green form you used to fill-out on the plane, stating you weren't a Nazi or were on your way over here to overthrow the government. It is also your declaration that you abide by the rules and limitations of the US Visa Waiver Program. In doing so, you surrender your right to challenge the decisions of US Immigration, Customs and Border Control.

This is not a visa and it doesn't actually entitle you to anything. The CBP agent can grant you up to 90 days admission - that said, he also has absolute veto - he could grant you 10 days, or he could decide he doesn't like the cut of your jib and refuse you entry entirely - and under the VWP you have zero recourse - visa waiver (waiving the rights offered by a visa).

Nor can you adjust status, whilst using the VWP - i.e. decide you'd like to stay longer - or apply for a visitors visa (B2) that allows certain individuals up to 6 months per stay. However, if you qualify for VWP it is very unlikely that you would be granted a B2 visa.

I'm reasonably well versed in the subject of US immigration, so let me know if anything needs clarification

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: