Club Arnage
September 21, 2024, 10:05:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: advice  (Read 6527 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »

Someone run into the back of the wifes toyota verso this afternoon. Damage is slight but the rear bumper will need to be replaced.

Don't really want to involve insurance but will if required, I have no idea what sort of cost a replacement bumper is should the guy offer to settle. How much is a bumper and labour?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »

Does the boot open and shut properly, is there an impact absorbing liner to the bumper etc. (Take it into a bodyshop and ask for a quote, you don't want anything to be covered up which will become a problem later, the quote should be free)

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »

Listen to Nick,good advice.been there,the impact crushed the inner structure,the bumper cover looked fine so my wife let the girl off the hook.Only to have the bumper to begin to sag.  OUT OF POCKET ! NOT GOOD !

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:28:28 am »

... and I once had a rear end shunt on teh motorway - bumper popped back and didn't look damage but fortunately took details - the boot floor was buckled.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »

Ditto all the advice above - easy for the deformable structure to have crumpled as well, even in a relatively low speed tap - that's what they're designed to do.  Get a professional at a bodyshop to check it over.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:41:12 pm »

Strangely enough....I had a rear end shunt last year and my boot floor was also somewhat distorted......... Grin Grin Grin
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:46:59 pm »

Strangely enough....I had a rear end shunt last year and my boot floor was also somewhat distorted......... Grin Grin Grin

Among other things....

I was the 'shunter' last year, (let's have no mention of cocoa please) and I hit a new Fiesta, very slowly. His boot floor was rumpled up like paper, the rear hatch wouldnt close, and the deformable bumper liner was completely destroyed. On first appearance the car looked fine, but in reality it cost my insurers about £1500 to put right. My shed of a Fabia cracked a numberplate which I didn't replace, and it has since passed the MOT without a problem.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »

Cheers for the advice guys. Bodyshop checked it over and say other than a small hole in the bumper and a few scuffs there is no damage.

The bumper does not have any filling, rather a bar inside. This is undamaged and the mounting points are straight.

Lucky escape as we don't really want the hassle of insurance etc.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

Ah yes, in respect of my incident above - I had a towbar at the time, which may have exacerbated things...  Roll Eyes
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 01:34:51 am »

Chips away may be able to fix that damage then if its just the bumper cover. I hit the back of a Saab estate on the snow and ice on my estate last year and Chips away sorted it out for the chap I hit and it cost me £212 which was cheaper than involving my insurance. I pushed in the corner of his bumper and was expecting a new bumper but they sorted it out and repainted it.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:15:34 am »

I got rear ended - oooh err missus - last year.  Daft twat hit me so hard the fuel tank cracked.  When I told his insurance company that they didn't believe me and never checked it when they got the quotes for repair.  Turns out I was right and it would have been cheaper for them to write the car off.   Roll Eyes

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:17:30 am »

Chips away may be able to fix that damage then if its just the bumper cover. I hit the back of a Saab estate on the snow and ice on my estate last year and Chips away sorted it out for the chap I hit and it cost me £212 which was cheaper than involving my insurance. I pushed in the corner of his bumper and was expecting a new bumper but they sorted it out and repainted it.

Nordic - where are you? - we have a chipsaway guy in our LM group. Northampton / Oxford area.......

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
John G

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »

That's a fair old area    Smiley

Might be useful for me though (South Warwicks / North Oxon), pm details if you prefer

Thanks in advance
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »

Thanks for all the advice. All sorted now.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: