Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 12:30:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans 2012 Classic Thread  (Read 99922 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »

Right then chaps, that's me out of here. Just calling at the farm shop for some proper bacon and that's everything sorted.
Early start in the morning nd should get to MB for midnight on Thursday.

Safe journey everyone.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Ian (Liverpool Boys)

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »

See you on MB Friday lunchtime
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »

Car packed setting of in a few.

See you there!!

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »

Have fun out there everyone !

firedamper

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »

If anyone sees an official sticker, the rectangular one, could they get it 4 me and I'll settle up for it when u return.   Looked everywhere in June and couldn't find one! Must've been the alcohol blurring my vision? Or short supply?

what goes on tour, stays on tour
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:34 am »

Wish I was there and had won the lottery.

Some nice cars in the auction there today, a lot I have never seen before, but would be so much fun to own

http://www.artfact.com/catalog/searchLots.cfm?scp=c&catalogRef=Y29OXX5EIA&utm_campaign=catalert&utm_medium=email&utm_source=afalert&code=11002
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:18:49 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

The first batch of Jox Jottings from Classic are now online with pics in Club Arnage Blog

Link from main index page www.clubarnage.com or http://clubarnagelemans2012.blogspot.co.uk/
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2012, 08:31:38 pm »

Second batch of Jottings from Classic now up.

Link from main index page www.clubarnage.com or http://clubarnagelemans2012.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2012, 09:58:03 am »

Well what a weekend! Beautiful machinery everywhere. Lots of wet stuff (sadly mostly from the sky, not the breweries), 7000 photos, several interviews with Spitfire owners for Classics Monthly magazine's 50th anniversary special in a few months and an interview with Vern Schuppan (more to come on that). Oh and when I got back to my car in the press car park, I had a "telling off" note attached from officialdom for not displaying my parking pass (no-one else was either .. something to do with there being an instruction on the tickets not to expose them to light!!!). Funny that I was the only car that got the official yellow-papered warning!!!

Never did find time to get over to the auction house .. bugger! Everytime I promise myself "next time". Need another day!!

With all our whizzings arounds, did manage to bump into Steve Brown for a quick catch-up (do so love that juicy Caddy!!) and Martini found me up at the Ford chicane. Good to see you both chaps!! Also nice to meet you Simon. Occured to me afterwards that you must be Lazy B'Stard .. doh! Should have realised at the time!

Already back in the studio and just about to download my visual recordings onto the big drive. I might be some time.....!!

Grin
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »

Well I made it home after a couple of power naps on the motorway (in the services I mean, naturally!) - arriving in a very rainy Manchester just before 7 a.m. just in time to shower and get off to work!  I have issued a general warning that I might not be exhibiting my usual sunny disposition today.....!

Another excellent Classic weekend which the weather, a leaky tent and a self-deflating airbed failed to spoil.

Big thanks to Si, Stuart and Martin for the excellent company and tall tales at camp Lazy B.

It was good to catch up with Steve B and Andy and the gang and to sit under my old gazebo which seems to be surviving very well without my involvement!  Nice to see Barry, Jo, Tom and many others whose names elude me at the moment....sorry!

Looking forward to going home time now.....

F

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:58 pm »

Just a taster from the weekend  Grin

* 2441.jpg (102.32 KB, 900x600 - viewed 325 times.)
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2012, 11:16:28 am »

Was sorry to hear about the Ferrari crashing on its way to the Classic - its good to see these cars actualy being driven on the roads rather than being carried around on a trailer.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4419639/Ferrari-crashes-into-record-books.html

F
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:29 am »

Hello everyone. Back to the land of the living again. Still exhausted and wired on strong coffee.

By and large another great weekend. Bloody ACO did an absolutely dreadful job in organising the weather. It's been on the calendar for two years now so they had plenty of notice to book some sunshine, but failed in typical French fashion. I'm sure us Brits could do better.

Great company as ever. Big man huggs to Uncle Martin, who can provide sensible conversation given a little effort. Shame we only get to meet once a year, and already looking forward to next time.

Big thanks to Newcastle Dave and his group. Lots of new friends there and a certain civility this year with proper food, our own Vicar and daily Yoga classes to sit and watch / laugh at over a cold breakfast beer.

Thanks to Stuart for his company, especially on the long drive home when the black coffee / Red Bull caffeine shake start to take over!

Huge, huge thanks to CA's own Goddess, the wonderful Fran for being the responsible adult and translator.... She even did the washing up without protest this year! Again, a year is far too long between meetings and I'm missing your company and good humour already. Hope you and your husband got home OK. Wink

Also last but not least my new friend Eric, a seriously funny guy who I hope will be there next year. Proof that language is never a barrier and a little pigeon French and English will get you through- comedy being a universal language that works anywhere. 'Cuckoo'.

Nice to meet a few faces from team CA. Sadly didn't get to meet everyone, but big shout to Mr Rick, Barry and Jo, Lee, the Browns etc. promise to make more effort next time.

A few thoughts on the weekend.....

Weather total pants. Got soaked a few times.

Driving standards in general were appalling at times. Probably more discussion on this topic later, but for now let's say it was really something that needs to be addressed.

Size of the event. It's getting really big now. Maybe they need to open on the Thursday so you can actually get round and see everything. At some times, in certain places it was just like the 24. There also seems to be a certain element turning up now. Lewd behaviour, bare chests and drunkenness isn't what I go to the Classic for (although having been there with Martini twice prior I should be used to it by now).

Those small gripes apart, it was another great weekend. The cars were stunning, the atmosphere was great, the friendly and open attidude of the drivers and mechanics was wonderful as ever.

A few highlights......
Plateaux 6. I could watch a whole 24 hours of that race. Driving standards higher than the other grids, the cars looked genuinely fast and the assault on the aural senses is incredible.

Ferarri 250 GTO paddock and parade. Such stunning cars but slightly strange seeing so many in one place. Kind of underwhelming in a sense. Almost like spending a lifetime looking for a unicorn, then finding 26 of them in a pub having lunch.

Walking back from Tetre Rouge at 3am on Saturday morning and only seeing one single living soul all the way back to MB. Almost like you had become the only person on earth. Took time to take in the buildings and small details of the place you think you know so well. I've always liked my own company and to spend a steady hour long stroll in a place I dearly love, alone, was a real highlight of the weekend.

The Friday evening meal in Arnage was great. Plenty of entertainment from the passing cars and the crazy young lad on the Scooter who pulled every trick in the book to raucous cheers. Several loud choruses of Happy Birthday in which all the other guests and passer-by's joined in with was rather cool, and topped off a good day in which to say goodbye to your thirtys and hello to a decade of buggered knees, bad backs and digestive problems.

Being allowed onto the ferry despite only checking in 11 minutes before sailing after a mammoth effort in the van, wringing its neck for the last 120km whilst ignoring an ever strengthening smell of burning plastic and rubber. Why oh why must I always be late despite setting off in good time? This year was too close for comfort.

Finally the good craic and banter. The weather was rubbish but it failed to dampen the spirits. I raise a glass to you all.

The Classic for me has always been an antidote to the modern 24. Smaller crowds and a more relaxing atmosphere. It's got busier and busier over the last decade and in that respect it has begun to lose its shine somewhat. The standard of racing also took a dive again this year. There are now too many people on the track who are there because they can afford too. A few very special cars have ended up damaged this year as a direct result. I'm now asking myself if I can justify going to the Classic again at the expense of attending the modern event which is now enjoying a golden patch. It's a shame as I've always enjoyed the classic, but this year not so much as in previous years. Maybe it was the weather? I'm not sure, but as an event it oat it's shine this year. However, the usual fun, games and companionship from the guys on the campsite more than compensated for this years shortcomings, and for that I thank you all once again.

Cheers all.
Lazy Bastard.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2012, 01:36:20 pm »

... Eric, a seriously funny guy ...
... Several loud choruses of Happy Birthday in which all the other guests and passer-by's joined in with was rather cool ...

Another vote from me for Eric - I have never in my life seen a sober adult quite so amused by a cup travelling up and down on an electric car aerial!

And we knew you were loving the Happy Birthdays really!!
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2012, 01:55:51 pm »

The Friday evening meal in Arnage was great. Plenty of entertainment from the passing cars and the crazy young lad on the Scooter who pulled every trick in the book to raucous cheers. Several loud choruses of Happy Birthday in which all the other guests and passer-by's joined in with was rather cool, and topped off a good day in which to say goodbye to your thirtys and hello to a decade of buggered knees, bad backs and digestive problems.

Si you need to add in ear and nose hair growth to that, since saying goodbye to my thirties 2 years ago, it's now a constant battle with the buggers springing up all the time Angry

Glad you all had a great time Grin
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: