Club Arnage
June 21, 2024, 10:26:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Senna  (Read 21600 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »

Out this weekend   

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2962070809/

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »

I have  read the write up for this docufilm and it was good reading.
I didn't know Sid Watkins was a really close pal until I read the articles.

Its a must for me

Andy
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »

Never my favourite driver but decent movies on motor racing are so rare and this has had such good reviews that I'm bound to get it when the DVD comes out.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »

I won't be wasting a second of my life watching a film about this idiot.

Senna was a twat. The only bigger twats were the spineless people who let him get away with his antics.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:13:00 pm »

Agreed Andy, have better things to do, like clean the toilet, tham watch a glorification of that pompous, spoiled, ill-mannered asshole.  The people I really feel sorry for are the poor bastards who have bought into the whole "Senna the legend" bullshit.  Most of which aren't old enough to rememeber what a jerk he was, they've just read the books written by hacks trying to make money off of a dead celebrity, the fact that most of these writers couldn't stand the guy when he was alive, but will gladly paint him as a saint in the name of making a few bucks.
Fax
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:14:50 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:52 pm »

Agree with fax and Andy, but I think I will watch the film. Its clearly not a warts'n'all effort, but if you strip off the bullshit and dubious tactics he was one hell of a quick driver.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »

Definately one of racing's idiots and I have no argument with the venerable Messrs Fax and Zarse's analyses.  However, big screen motorsport is still rare enough for it to deserve a look from me.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:29:41 pm »

An Arrogant twatt yes, Dangerous probably, Genius driver defiantly, watched him at the Silverstone GP 90,91,92,93 and he was class of the field,  Donnington in the wet was incredible.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »

I have a copy of the film.
Don't get too excited. There's very little there that those who follow the sport haven't seen before.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:46:36 am »

An Arrogant twatt yes, Dangerous probably, Genius driver defiantly, watched him at the Silverstone GP 90,91,92,93 and he was class of the field,  Donnington in the wet was incredible.

Right up until he ran out of fuel on the last lap Smiley

The only time I think I'd disagree with the old man here, is 1990 - he had a pretty dominant car that year, and he stacked it at Silverstone about 1/3 of the way in.  92 and 93, he was ragging the absolute balls off the car, and yes, it was clear even as a 10/11/12 year old that he was a very gifted individual.

Yes, Senna tainted his name with some of his antics - no, he wasn't the ultimate champion - no he wasn't really the most dominant driver of all time - but for me, the sport (and my childhood) would have been much the poorer without him. 

What I'm getting at, is that at least it was interesting - there was actually something controversial to watch.  Since then, we've had what feels like a lifetime of dominance from Schumacher, interspersed with the occassional fin, spaniard or brit who could win the title - but did any of them really make you want to turn on the TV, or go to a race, to see what trick they'd try next???  No...me neither - which is why, whilst I can't say that Senna was the greatest driver to grace the track - he was at least, one of the most interesting.

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:26:04 am »

I, for what it is worth, totally agree with Brad. In those days people did not change the rules to make it interesting it was already. And while never a total fan of his I would agree that he had a lot of speed and guts and was a natural behind the wheel and while some of his tactics were less than honest it did not stop him having a huge following from both spectators (no not two) and drivers.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Steve TR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »

I have also seen the movie and whatever your views are of the man, the movie is well put together and definitely worth a watch.
Irish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:49:46 am »

Take it for what it is - leaves stuff out but he covered a lot in his 34 years.

Brought my wife who hates F1. She ended up in tears - as did most of the screening. Never saw so many blokes choked, sitting in their seats post credits.

Very moving - everyone should see it. On the big screen.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:13 am »

Blokes & wife in tears?  Jesus H Christ get a grip, the guy drove racing cars, he wasn't a head of state, he didn't cure cancer, he didn't solve the Israeli-Palestine conflict, he wasn't a heroic warrior...the dude was a f**k*ng racing car driver.  That was the problem with that jerk-off all along, he thought he was a hell of alot more important than he ever actually was.
Fax
Steve TR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:13 am »

Marley & Me was just a f**kin' dog but it still brought tears to our household.
As Irish says - take it for what it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: