Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 12:37:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speeding in France  (Read 22462 times)
LuxExpat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:35 am »

Don't think that you'll be safe once you've passed fixed speed cameras before/during/after LM either.

Les Flics are setting up more and more hidden cameras just after the fixed cameras, i.e. when peeps think it's "safe" to boot it again!

Also, beware of any unmarked estate cars that look like broken down vehicles. They usually have cameras attached to the back of them and you can't see it until it's too late.

Drink driving: again, being clamped down on massively, so be warned if you're setting off after the race and have had a couple of beers in the day, or indeed leaving on Monday morning after the Sunday night.

It's not a race to get to/from Le Mans - the race is when you're there. Enjoy!

Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 10:57:34 am »

Dottore, as the proposal is that publication of the location of fixed cameras is to be banned too, I cannot imagine that those devices will be looked upon very favourably.  Whatever, I will keep an eye on the press and try to keep you posted, as no doubt will Christopher also. Smiley
Yes the government study group has stated that it wants to ban Coyote type devices and will stop supplying fixed radar locations to Tom Tom etc.
Like Termie I don't think the new measures are immediate - I haven't seen any decrees published and in any event some of the definitions are too wooly. But existing legislation is quite enough to spoil your trip if you're caught speeding - at least 90€ fine and loads more plus an immediate ban (licence confiscation) and car confiscation if you're 30 mph over any limit. They can - and do - also fine you 90€ for not having driving licence, V5 and insurance certificate (or any one of them) with you.
But be aware, there will be a hefty police prescence on the routes to and from the race - it's a holiday weekend and that brings out the mobile radars all over France. Drive sensibly within the posted limits, don't drink more than a couple of beers and drive, and you'll be fine.
Have a great trip there and back everybody!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »

I'll echo Kpy there, have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »

I don't think we will have any problems in our minibus. Usual cruise there and back.
Perhaps all these measures will deter the chav element even more.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:14:32 am »

there is a campaign on the aco site to sign against the new laws and proposed legislation.probably wont help but 40 million people have signed so far.there may be a possiblity of protesters around the circuit like the yogurt factory strike in about 1993 getting people to sign petitions

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Bonio

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:07 am »

there is a campaign on the aco site to sign against the new laws and proposed legislation.probably wont help but 40 million people have signed so far.there may be a possiblity of protesters around the circuit like the yogurt factory strike in about 1993 getting people to sign petitions
Ah the imfamous Yoplait strike, Took me ages to get rid of the smell of rancid yogurt out of me motor. Still makes me gag now thinking about it. In fact it was the precursor to the water pistols on Mad Friday but filled with all sorts of orrible dairy products.

Retaliation spud gun me rekons..

Team J.E.D.I
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »

The link to the petition is:

http://www.40millionsdautomobilistes.com/Data/Dossiers/securite-routiere/179/830.asp#lemans.org_facebook
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 03:39:50 pm »

40 million people have signed so far.
Actually, "40 million motorists" is the name of the pressure group.  It's not the number who have so far signed the petition.

But sign it too, and maybe we'll get there. Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Radar
CA Veteran

What is this llama sh*t anyway?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 05:13:48 pm »

The outcome of the inter-ministerial committee on road safety can be found here: http://bit.ly/kC8gZy

It's a wish list of measures, some of which can be implemented straight away, some will require legislation. But they will happen - the committee says of 103 measures decided since 2008, 101 have been put into effect.

This is the point to beware of when heading to LM this year: "Without waiting for these measures to be put into effect, the prime minister called on the interior minister...to put in place extra checks on the roads, especially during the long weekends in June".

France already has pretty hefty fines for speeding etc (1500E for 50kph+ over the limit)- this suggests they will be enforced rigorously.

Incidentally, the new speeding penalties would make the same offence punishable by 3 months in prison. Given that more than 25 000 people were caught doing just that last year, french jails could get very full indeed.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »

http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2011/05/24/radars-le-recul-du-gouvernement-signe-la-fin-du-tout-repressif_1526859_823448.html#xtor=RSS-3208

Better news.  

The programme to remove the warning panels has been halted.  Discussions will take place with the manufacturers of warning devices (I assume mainly Garmin and TomTom) for a better exchange of safety information such as debris on carriageways, adverse weather etc.  The ban on detectors of mobile speed traps is already in place and will remain - as to fixed devices, watch this space.  More "non punitive" radar devices will be installed - ie those which tell you the speed your going at - many in front of fixed camera positions (replacing the existing panel warning signs) but others will be stand-alone.

Safety organisations are moaning because the government is already back-pedalling on some of the proposals and bowing to pressure from motorists.

If I've misread this or left out any major stuff then I hope that kpy will put me right as I read it in a bit of a hurry.  Off to the barn now to see if the mice have eaten our tent during the winter. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:41:58 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »

In short:
The government has had second thoughts on removal of fixed radar warning panels; there will now be "local consultation" on the matter, plus development of road safety/radar camera education.
Government is also backtracking on banning GPS devices mapping fixed radar cameras.
However these new measures were never going to affect this year's racegoers from abroad. Rest assured that mobile speed cameras and random breath testing/document checks will be in place near the circuit and on the main routes leading to it.
It's a holiday weekend and that increases the probability of police prescence on the roads including on Monday 13 June.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 02:43:03 pm »

Jolly good.  There he is. Smiley

landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »

Or for those of us using the Google Chrome browser, here's the instant translation: -

Less than two weeks after the announcement by the government, the rapid implementation of a series of measures to reduce road deaths in France, Claude Gueant , Interior Minister, backtracked under pressure dozens of members of the majority.

The removal of signs warning motorists of the presence of speed cameras is a major cause of the exasperation of parliamentarians , anxious not to upset their voters a year before the presidential and legislative elections. While the new boss of the place Beauvau said on 11 May that the decision to remove the panels was "absolutely not in question" , the same minister has finally declared , Tuesday, May 24, the UMP, which removal of these panels being hung up a "local consultation" and a "radar teaching" , not penalizing, eventually replace each panel.

Jacques Myard, UMP Yvelines, participated in the revolt by MPs against the measures of Claude Gueant. He believes that this decline partial government signed the "end all-repressive" .

Faced with the efforts by some UMP parliamentarians, the government backs down.

First it is necessary to remember that everyone agrees on the need to fight against road accidents. This item is no debate within the majority. The only disagreement was the reasons which led to an increase in road deaths in recent months. For several years, the road safety policy is purely repressive. This method has reached the end of its effectiveness. From the time when the penalty is no longer legitimate, it is no longer effective teaching. The increase in road deaths over the past few months is proof.

Unfortunately, this analysis was not done by the inter-ministerial committee on road safety which has opted for a logic of even more repression. This has put the chaos in the majority.

The inter-ministerial committee was convened urgently by François Fillon , Prime Minister, who also validated these decisions. The position has evolved Matignon.

François Fillon has pledged to establish a fact-finding mission whose objective is to identify the causes of road accidents. Beyond this mission, the Prime Minister has also requested consultations with elected officials on the fate of the warning signs combined with a development of radar teaching that inform motorists of their speed rather than to punish by fine and a loss of points. It's the end of all law enforcement.

The government also included the banning of radar systems for reporting. Will they finally banned?

The Government will contact the manufacturer of this system to make this instrument a tool for road safety. A warning radars can also broadcast other useful information such as the presence of debris on the road, a road narrowing, the risk of further injury ... The sharing of information related to road safety among motorists is a clever use of these new tools and the end of the blind punishment. The ban on reporting systems such as "Coyote" is now completely outdated.

Crouch..........bind..........set
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

Or for those of us using the Google Chrome browser, here's the instant translation: -

Why did I bother  Huh
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:36 pm »

Why did I bother  Huh
Here's why:

"which removal of these panels being hung up a "local consultation" and a "radar teaching" , not penalizing, eventually replace each panel." Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: