Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 10:18:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Poster revealed  (Read 13806 times)
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

On here, maybe not, but the Facebook comments on the ACO page might be interesting. 

Not that it really affects me, but the problem last year was that the design was also the basis for the t-shirts (and I bet the enthusiasts buy those) and I, for one, didn't buy one for the first time since I've been going to the race because it was so horrid and said "pop music" not "sports cars" to me.  Maybe I was the only one and maybe people like me really don't matter - we're coming anyway, but we don't just spend money on tickets do we? - we buy souvenirs too.  I'm not at all sure that Debrot pays enough attention to his core market - it's very easy to ignore the hard core audience and then be surprised when it slowly melts away.

For the first time in years I didn't buy a t-shirt last year either, and probably won't this year either if the first version of the poster is the basis for the t-shirt design.  Still, Plus Ca Change....

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

ACO Facebook page turns up a bunch of my friends like Gilles and Steve Tarrant, and is generally populated by fans, drivers and officials and other motor sports folk and fans.
Debrot is considered to be doing a good job and he's spent his career in a motoring environment. His department has all the figures, so we shall have to see if there's a fall-off in attendance from the 230,000 odd of the last couple of years.
I'm not into souvenirs and teeshirts, so can't really comment, but again the ACO monitors its sales figures closely. If their sales of branded stuff go down they'll be asking why.

I still don't like the poster, but I'll be there whether they publish a poster or not.
goodduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 06:10:48 pm »

almost as bad as last years. why even release a poster without the right cars? the past decade of posters have been pure garbage. its such a shame because there are plenty of talented designers out there. if they just had an open competition there would be some great results.

and this does not in any way appeal to young people. if the poster was designed by a young person, it might have a better chance.

looking for 2 General Admission tickets for 2023 24H Le Mans race only but will buy anything available.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:43 pm »

If da posta woz dezined by a young person it would have sum rightin on it that teh old people would not be able to be reedin innit m8. Word!

Despite the utter crapness of the posters I doubt it has the slightest effect on attendance figures though. Probably why they quickly knock one up with photoshop late on a friday afternoon.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »

Uuuugh! Just noticed...it looks rainy on the picture of the cars. Oh no, thats buggered it. Cursed for a wet weekend again! Cry Cry

Dick Dasterdly was right
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:28 pm »

I didn't buy a tee last year, it was crap.
So that was less € for the ACO.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »

It doesn't look as hideous as last years, but still they could do much better.  I don't understand why so many venues try to be clever with the poster design and not just go the time honored route of commisioning a motor racing artist do produce the artwork.  Any of the event posters that Michael Turner has done over the years are collectors items (I have a 1978 Dutch GP poster, framed & signed by Mario that is absolutley beautiful), and the Sebring work that Roger Warwick has become very sought after.  Randy Owens does outstanding work as well for MotoGP at Indy.
Fax

* DutchGP.jpg (82.61 KB, 379x500 - viewed 340 times.)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:40 pm »

Out of interest, I had a look at the Facebook comments (and couldn't resist one of my own, of course).  The Sebring posters were mentioned a couple of times on there.  In the main, the remarks weren't very different from ours.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »

The poster is connected to This TV ad.
Poster and TV ad feature the race's principal sponsors, Dunlop and Rolex.
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

It's missing a commer, and a number of ageing MGs too.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:14 pm »

Looks like I am the only one under 25 and French then!  Grin Grin Grin

>Martini...LB
Raconteur and art critic

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:03:56 pm »

Well,  it's good to see that they put a vast amount of effort into the second poster... not.  The Audi has been changed to an Oreca (I think) Roll Eyes

Can't wait for the third one, mmmmm  I wonder what the change will be this time,  oh let me guess....  the Aston? 

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »

Aside from the artistic merits and accurate market targeting (or lack thereof), I rather like the "every second a new emotion" caption, which is the certainly the case when joining fellow CAers for a sherbet or two chez DFH or Brethren, and the reference to the "The first poster will not be alone. It will soon be followed by a second version with other cars and even a third, specifically designed for the United Kingdom and countless British fans who come to the Le Mans circuit each year", which I imagine is an approving reference to the delightful annual CA take on the official poster... Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »

Aside from the artistic merits and accurate market targeting (or lack thereof), I rather like the "every second a new emotion" caption, which is the certainly the case when joining fellow CAers for a sherbet or two chez DFH or Brethren, and the reference to the "The first poster will not be alone. It will soon be followed by a second version with other cars and even a third, specifically designed for the United Kingdom and countless British fans who come to the Le Mans circuit each year", which I imagine is an approving reference to the delightful annual CA take on the official poster... Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark

Frog. He hasn't got a clue, has he?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

Can't wait for the third one, mmmmm  I wonder what the change will be this time,  oh let me guess....  the Aston? 

It would be quite easy to add the Aston. Just a small dot in the background, or a smouldering nose sticking out of one of the pit garages as the door is lowered. Grin

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: