Club Arnage
June 30, 2024, 07:06:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two wheels good, four wheels bad  (Read 15263 times)
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2003, 10:38:06 am »

Bikes versus cars....

In danger of raking over old ground, had a burn up last night on my bike at the lights in Bourne town centre.

Me on my Trek 4300 and a Porker next to me, with a Mini behind.

At the amber (always been a gambler), I clipped my other cleat in the pedal and sped off thru the gears leaving the Porker in my dust.

The fact that he was waiting for me to go so he could turn left is neither here nor there to me .. did him up a kipper!

Never pedalled so fast in my life!  Wink
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 11:42:05 am »

Two wheels good, four wheels bad. One wheel best. Rick, have you ever tried a unicycle? You'd look great!

PS Are there any remnants of the once magnificant BRM empire left in Bourne? I have a small and very tenuous connection with the Owen Organisation.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 12:02:59 pm »

Sadly the old BRM works are now the local bus company. Bourne's motor racing empire these days is Pilbeam Racing (and funnily enough I was out cycling with Mike Pilbeam last night!). There was a cracking heritage day here back in 1999 where all sorts of wonderful machinery were let loose on the roads with lots of "names" attending too!

Sorry to hear about the no show in Oz, was only telling my rugger/drinking partner at the weekend what a lucky so and so you were!
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 12:20:01 pm »

Shame about the BRM works, but that's our heritage for you. Down in Thames Ditton someone has gone to the huge expense of attaching a small tin plaque commemerating AC to a gable end of one of the blocks of the housing estate now occupying the site.

I live in hope that a local, and hitherto undiscovered tectonic joint decides to shrug and roll over.

H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 09:55:35 pm »

Looks like Pilbeam are no longer dominating the hills though...with the relative new boys on the block "Force"

Have you seen the twin Hibusa car they are currently developing....Ian of the" Burgundy Beast" fame was sayiing that the new car will have something in the region of 950hp pet ton ......awesome.

At Gurston Down in July it took FTD on one engine.

Wishy
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 10:29:40 pm »

Cripes! That is some power/weight ratio!

The first new MP88-KV6 left the factory a week or so ago. Things are hotting up for 2004!!
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 10:31:55 pm »

And the new 4 litre Judd KV4 powered MP88 is due out for the start of next season too.

More details at http://www.pilbeamracing.co.uk (another of my little website designs!!!)
Fax
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 04:13:30 am »

Meister,
Glad to hear there are some other peddlers out there on CA.  A couple of the Harper brood and myself have been pounding the pavement for ages.  I've got a 2000 FDJ Gitane frame with Campy bits & Mavic wheels.  Dave H rides a Cannondale.  Forgot to give out the congrats on David Millar taking the World Championship.  Sounds like he rode a brilliant race and is a very worthy World Champ.
Fax
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 09:30:19 am »

'miester - Never had you down as a "Lycra Nazi" as Clarkson so eloquantly put it  Wink.

MP88 looks like another winner from Pilbean (good site too BTW)

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 10:04:50 am »

Bit of a Lycra weekend warrior myself, ride a scott with some nice upgrades on the forks, brakes etc. Never burnt of a porker mind, did beat a motor bike across a juction the other week, the fool was messing with his visor  and missed the green light.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 11:17:09 am »

the fool was messing with his visor  and missed the green light.

Yeah, you gotta catch 'em napping!!

Been a Lycra Nazi (like it .. my mate's mum plays tennis with Clarkson's mum and we stopped him at Le Mans in 1996 and told him that too!!) for many years, although I consider myself "born again" after 20 years faffing around with this driving lark, and pubs, curries, R McDs etc taken their toll.

Started the old velo again seriously in 2002, with runs to one of the pubs near Peterborough every Tuesday night (but with some serious miles there and back to justify the half-time refreshments!), and then competed for the first time ever this year in 10 mile time trials at the local club every Wednesday evening in the summer months. They operate a handicap system thankfully and yours truly only went and won the championship over 16 races!!

Bikes are a Graham Weigh 7005 Protal road bike with Campag/Miche components (gradually "de-Micheing" the bike to full Campag tho') and a Trek 4300 off-road beauty.

In the off season, started regular Sunday runs which is seriously helping with the fitness and weight loss - I'll be (almost) unrecognisable on MB next year!

Glad to hear there are so many CA'ers coming out of the bike closet!! Come on the rest of you, hands up and "my name is _____, I am a cyclist".

Grin
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 11:33:25 am »

And thanks for the kind words DR about the Pilbeam site, cheers!

Good to hear the "across the pond" contingent are active pedallers too Fax! The Francais de Jeux set up sounds very nice indeed, got some Mavic wheels too, & plan to upgrade to CXP33s for the start of next season as part of the de-Micheing programme when I change the hubs etc.

Cannondale are rather splendid bikes too, one of the fastest TTers in the local club runs a Cannondale.

Millar's ride was truly impressive, especially given that he "lifted off" a little on the second lap! Maybe he'll calm down his Mansellesque whingeing a little next season and let his cycling do the talking instead!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 11:34:05 am »

Hey mate, I have a Raleigh Grifter  with Sturmey Archer 3 speed. Can I join your gang?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 11:34:46 am by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 12:03:46 pm »

I've got a Raleigh Lizard mountain bike, but I'm too fu**ed up to use it.  Sitting in shed with flat tyre Cry

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 12:54:03 pm »

Hey mate, I have a Raleigh Grifter  with Sturmey Archer 3 speed. Can I join your gang?

Nope, only Choppers allowed from that era!! (Never had one myself, all my mates did though - my parents bought me a girls bike and did I suffer or what???) - Have you seen the prices Choppers go for on ebay now? Minters are about 600 notes!! There is a big market in restoring these beauties but even the recon ones fetch 400 plus. There's one born every minute apparently.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: