Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 12:17:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Return of Alfa?  (Read 13179 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »

A few of you will remember the saga of getting my old Alfa ready for the classic back in 2008 where I went from this...

To this is just 3 weeks...

A frantic few weeks were spent replacing the inner, middle and outer sills, complete rear quarter panels and a new rear panel as well as a few minor repairs to boot floor and lower front wings. We just made it-we actually brush painted the back end with red oxide primer the night before heading for the ferry. It made it to Maison Blanche and back (1,240 miles) in fine style, recording a remarkable 84mph average over the last stretch from Pompy to Northumberland.

Well, once home it was stripped back to a bare shell to finish the bodywork, rebuild the engine and box and fit new improved brakes as well as a dozen other mods to suspension, cooling, steering etc.
 However due to a crazy work schedule and a move to new premises it sat untouched for most of the last two years. At chrismas i made a start on getting it ready but now with just 8 weeks until the off I'm still some way off. Will it make it there and back again?

Shell is painted and the new alloy doors, bonnet and boot are in primer. Engine and box are back in the hole as is the wiring loom and some of the trim. Suspension is refitted but has yet to be set up (its all adjustable now) and the brakes are still in boxes. Next big job is to send it away for a new headlining before refitting the glass and trim.
 There are 101 things to do before the dreaded MOT, once that is done its a case of putting some miles on it to get the motor run in and check everything works.

A few pics of recent progress..

Next job is to fit these rather big 6 pot brakes Cool

So start placing your bets, will it, won't it? If all goes to plan we should be on MB for noon on the Friday. We hope to have cold beer with us so come and see if our luck holds out for another year Wink

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »

Thumbs up - once assembled, this will be a beautiful car.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »

Fingers crossed might be more appropriate Huh

Just a little more plumbing and the engine will be ready to fire up again. Its the second rebuild as a faulty chain tensioner failed last month causing the valves to hit the pistons when we fired it for the first time. I'm hoping we have the problem sorted now.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:32 am »

Aaaaaaaaaaagh   Dellortos

A friend of mine had one of those - it was mostly rust too.  The anti roll bar didn't work as it had nothing to hang on to
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:16:50 am by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »

Fingers crossed might be more appropriate Huh

Just a little more plumbing and the engine will be ready to fire up again. Its the second rebuild as a faulty chain tensioner failed last month causing the valves to hit the pistons when we fired it for the first time. I'm hoping we have the problem sorted now.

Absolutely AWESOME!!

I tested negative for patience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:48:08 pm »

Look forward to seeing the finished article drive onto MB.

I love those Alfa's Grin
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »

SWEET  Grin Keep us posted Dr. I love seeing projects coming together.

They have lumps of what round the back???
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:21:42 pm »

very nice.
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:15 am »

Superb car and a credit to you !! Hope you get it sorted in time, I'm having a battle getting my '84 quattro sorted as I wrecked the engine 8 weeks ago so have sourced another but lots of work to get it ready. Fingers crossed!!!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »

Superb car and a credit to you !! Hope you get it sorted in time, I'm having a battle getting my '84 quattro sorted as I wrecked the engine 8 weeks ago so have sourced another but lots of work to get it ready. Fingers crossed!!!

Hope you get the Quattro fired up in time Gordon.
Are you aiming to get it done for LM, or the Classic?
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:28:56 pm »

L M Barry, I couldn't bear it if I had to use the Astra estate!! It wouldn't feel right but loads of time yet, leaving on  Sun 6th so 3 weeks yet!!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:10:14 pm »

L M Barry, I couldn't bear it if I had to use the Astra estate!! It wouldn't feel right but loads of time yet, leaving on  Sun 6th so 3 weeks yet!!

The Quattro has a presence that the Astra certainly lacks. Wink
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »

If it enables you to get to Le Mans, to be sitting in the sun with a luke warm beer surrounded by friends, then an Astra is a fine car indeed!

As my old man was fond of saying  'A second class ride is better than a first class walk!'

Amen Wink

Dick Dasterdly was right
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:23:38 am »

If it enables you to get to Le Mans, to be sitting in the sun with a luke warm beer surrounded by friends, then an Astra is a fine car indeed!

As my old man was fond of saying  'A second class ride is better than a first class walk!'

Amen Wink

Here, Here!!!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:58 am »

Another black day. More problems with chain tensioner failure. 4 bent inlet valves and a damaged piston.
On the bright side I now know what is causing the problem and I'm just machining a new improved locking pin. Damaged piston is number two which I can get to with the lower half of the two peice sump pan removed now that the head is off, so the engine and box can stay in the hole.
 Courier is on the way with a new forged piston and a set of valves and gaskets. I've fitted another set of valve guides as a precaution (the lathe was spinning late last night!) so should be back up and running this evening.
Third time lucky?
Tired.
Emotional.
Fed up.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: