Club Arnage
June 27, 2024, 07:49:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadliest Crash, BBC 4 May 16th  (Read 20806 times)
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »

Sky+ has been set. As Im still learning about Le Mans and its history Im looking forward to watching it.

They have lumps of what round the back???
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:01 pm »

Sky+ has been set. As Im still learning about Le Mans and its history Im looking forward to watching it.
I've got to prise the wife away from Lewis on ITV

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:02 pm »

Barely remembered in time to watch it. Impressive.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Jon King
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »

What a emotoinal documentary

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »

Very sad, but very informative too - I knew about the crash, but didnt really know so much about the back story and national rivalries.

F
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:03 pm »

very moving, especially the last series of shots showing the devastation amongst the crowd just after the thrill of the balls out racing between Mercedes and Jaguar. Elseware on the track many probably went home thinking it was a great race until the Mercades disappeared,(especially the non French speaking) not knowing of the tragedy until reading papers maybe days after, seems like there was not much made of the seriousness's of the accident in order to keep emergency access. As for the cause of the accident, after always believing it was Hawthorne's fault, from the sequence of stills it looked very much like a racing accident triggered by Hawthorne  needing to pull in for fuel.  However the Jaguars superior brakes caught out the others hence the Healy swerving into the path of the Mercades causing the collision. The resulting pit wall barrier development immediately after was very significant.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:10 am »

Balls, after all that i fell asleep on the couch and forgotn to set the V+ box or record it. D'oh !
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:56 am »

Never mind, just checked and its repeated at 12.30 am, so I get a second chance.  Smiley
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:42 am »

It's on again a 00:45 and then on  Wed 19 May 2010 at 00:30.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 01:53:22 pm »

I videoed it so I can have a closer look at the footage.  I can't understand how Macklin was so close to Hawthorn, as the AH was a slower car.  Macklin appears to go on the grass and then dives out, but Leveagh doesn't aim for the gap.

Another point of interest is that Hawthorn only had 3 years to live.  Blackouts, caused by kidney failure may have caused his fatal crash in 1959

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »

I videoed it so I can have a closer look at the footage.  I can't understand how Macklin was so close to Hawthorn, as the AH was a slower car.  Macklin appears to go on the grass and then dives out, but Leveagh doesn't aim for the gap.

Another point of interest is that Hawthorn only had 3 years to live.  Blackouts, caused by kidney failure may have caused his fatal crash in 1959

I think MH overtook Macklin, then pulled in and braked sharply in order to pull into the pits, forcing Macklin to take avoiding action, and then Macklin swung into the path of Leveghs car.

A reasonable conclusion of the cars having outgrown the circuit as the reason for the tragedy, the accident'd have happened anyway, with better circuit design / spectator protection then the crowd would have seen a much happier outcome.

Hindsight's always 20/20 I guess.

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »

it makes you wonder what could have happened if peter dumbreck had flipped on the start/finish and not in the woods.how lucky we all were.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

very moving, especially the last series of shots showing the devastation

Agree. very moving sequence.
I  would also recommend Christopher Hilton's book, covers all the background to why they were racing so hard, and also the investigation after the accident.
As to the cause, I think the great innovation of discs on the Jaguar was a huge contributing factor, Macklin had nowhere to go, when Hawthorn braked in front of him. Levegh had no chance of avoiding him, even if he had the reaction time of a twenty year old.
The cars had certainly outgrown the circuit.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:32:32 pm by Barry » Logged
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:51 am »

I think MH overtook Macklin, then pulled in and braked sharply in order to pull into the pits, forcing Macklin to take avoiding action, and then Macklin swung into the path of Leveghs car.

A reasonable conclusion of the cars having outgrown the circuit as the reason for the tragedy, the accident'd have happened anyway, with better circuit design / spectator protection then the crowd would have seen a much happier outcome.

Hindsight's always 20/20 I guess.

Don't forget that the Jag had disk brakes everyone else was still using drums, if as it seems MH was due to stop, overtakes Macklin then slams the brakes on there is no way the Healey is going to be able to slow up so he did what most would do and swerved to his left. Levegh might have been looking in his mirrors at Fangio,  but in reality didn't have much time to react.  The back of the Healy was shaped like a ski ramp,  Levegh was doomed, sadly.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 01:35:45 pm »

Repeated tonight BBC4 at 23:00 for anyone that missed it.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: