Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 04:05:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Count the inccuracies  (Read 6536 times)
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:59:53 pm »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/features/article7033639.ece

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

WTF - Until now I had the Times on the list of the rather reputable media Shocked

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:06:29 am »

Not checked the dates or number of wins for Jaguar but everything else seems about right to me ! What am I missing ?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:36 am »

The missing "a" in inaccuracies?  Huh

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:27:53 am »

In the Sunday Times article that the web article appears to be extracted from. Says "The Mansells are the first Father Son  team at the Race."

Hmmm....

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:02:35 am »

Jaguar.... challenging the recent dominance of the event by Audi and Peugeot. OK, so the GT2 Jag will challenge the LMP1 - Diesels Grin

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »

Jaguar.... challenging the recent dominance of the event by Audi and Peugeot. OK, so the GT2 Jag will challenge the LMP1 - Diesels Grin

You've not read that right....  it actually says This year’s Le Mans promises to be the most exciting in years. Jaguar, returning to the race 20 years after its last win, and Aston Martin are challenging the recent dominance of the event by Audi and Peugeot.
So it's just pointing out that Jag are returning and that AM are challenging Audi and Pug, although that last bit isn't really true as we all know.  You've fallen into the journo's trap of taking a few words out of a statement to make it mean something else!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:05:50 pm »

You've not read that right....  it actually says This year’s Le Mans promises to be the most exciting in years. Jaguar, returning to the race 20 years after its last win, and Aston Martin are challenging the recent dominance of the event by Audi and Peugeot.
So it's just pointing out that Jag are returning and that AM are challenging Audi and Pug, although that last bit isn't really true as we all know.  You've fallen into the journo's trap of taking a few words out of a statement to make it mean something else!

Geoffd, you beat me to it!

And while we're about it:
In the Sunday Times article that the web article appears to be extracted from. Says "The Mansells are the first Father Son  team at the Race."

Hmmm....

The article actually states that the Mansells will be the first father and two sons team to race at Le Mans. That's accurate.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:52:56 pm »

You've not read that right....  it actually says This year’s Le Mans promises to be the most exciting in years. Jaguar, returning to the race 20 years after its last win, and Aston Martin are challenging the recent dominance of the event by Audi and Peugeot.
So it's just pointing out that Jag are returning and that AM are challenging Audi and Pug, although that last bit isn't really true as we all know.  You've fallen into the journo's trap of taking a few words out of a statement to make it mean something else!

Yeah - just re-read it slowly - you're right, Geoffd! Well, English isn't my native language...

Cheers

Werner

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »

The Andretti's came close, father, son and nephew (cousin). But I think it has been done before, but a long time ago.

Either way Mansell senior is not 100% confirmed yet is he?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

The Andretti's came close, father, son and nephew (cousin). But I think it has been done before, but a long time ago.

Sure is!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:46:22 pm »

I really think not. Care to give us a family name?
He's entered in car number 5. See HERE. In any event the Sunday Times said "If they make it to the French town in June it will be the first time a father and two sons have competed in the race".

I'd have thought that positive publicity for the 24 Hours in a broadsheet would be welcomed on this forum.
Instead some of us want to find fault with it.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »

This is the ACO press release and I would think they know for sure. Plenty of brothers and father and sons, but no other father and 2 sons.

I would like to compliment the paper or their extensive piece, and look forward to reading more, along with a full review once the dust has settled.

A great family story

Entrants have until 12th May to announce their driver line-ups. One trio is already known. It is not only a great family story but also a first in the race's history!

The driver line-up in question consists of a father and his two sons. The dad? 56-year-old Nigel Mansell, the 1992 Formula 1 World Champion: the sons? 22-year-old Greg and 25-year-old Leo. Only Leo has raced at Le Mans before, in 2009 in the Team Modena Ferrari (27th overall).

This 100% family team made up of a father and his two sons is a first in the long history of the Le Mans 24 Hours. In the era, when 2-driver teams were the norm, there were father and son duos, the most famous being the Rosier family in 1950, with Louis and his son Jean-Louis, who won the race outright in a Talbot. In 1982, Mario and his son Michael could have repeated the same feat but their car was disqualified with a few minutes to go to the start because of non-compliance with the regs. In 1988, there was a 100% Andretti trio at the start when Mario and Michael teamed up with Mario's nephew John. Among other family references are: 3rd place for Derek Bell and his son Justin in 1995 in a McLaren (Wallace was the 3rd driver), Felbermayr father and son in 2007 in a Porsche, Jean-Louis Ricci and his son Romano in 2000 in a Porsche, John Paul Jr and John Paul Sr in a Porsche in 1980. And in 1979, American brothers, Bill and Don Wittington with Klaus Ludwig achieved a fabulous outright victory, without forgetting the Mexican brothers, Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez, in the 60s

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:44 am »

Marco Andretti will be making his Le Mans debut this year with the Rebelion Lola team. Probably not spelt that right but you know who i mean.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

This is the ACO press release and I would think they know for sure. Plenty of brothers and father and sons, but no other father and 2 sons.

I would like to compliment the paper or their extensive piece, and look forward to reading more, along with a full review once the dust has settled.

A great family story

Entrants have until 12th May to announce their driver line-ups. One trio is already known. It is not only a great family story but also a first in the race's history!

The driver line-up in question consists of a father and his two sons. The dad? 56-year-old Nigel Mansell, the 1992 Formula 1 World Champion: the sons? 22-year-old Greg and 25-year-old Leo. Only Leo has raced at Le Mans before, in 2009 in the Team Modena Ferrari (27th overall).

This 100% family team made up of a father and his two sons is a first in the long history of the Le Mans 24 Hours. In the era, when 2-driver teams were the norm, there were father and son duos, the most famous being the Rosier family in 1950, with Louis and his son Jean-Louis, who won the race outright in a Talbot. In 1982, Mario and his son Michael could have repeated the same feat but their car was disqualified with a few minutes to go to the start because of non-compliance with the regs. In 1988, there was a 100% Andretti trio at the start when Mario and Michael teamed up with Mario's nephew John. Among other family references are: 3rd place for Derek Bell and his son Justin in 1995 in a McLaren (Wallace was the 3rd driver), Felbermayr father and son in 2007 in a Porsche, Jean-Louis Ricci and his son Romano in 2000 in a Porsche, John Paul Jr and John Paul Sr in a Porsche in 1980. And in 1979, American brothers, Bill and Don Wittington with Klaus Ludwig achieved a fabulous outright victory, without forgetting the Mexican brothers, Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez, in the 60s

So can we confirm that the only inaccuracy is in the spelling of "inccuracy" in the OP header? What a complete waste of time! Wink

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: