Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 11:25:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta wing car for Indy?  (Read 6347 times)
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

Have you seen the new design proposed for the next generation of indy cars?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81386

It's different!

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:16 pm »

Is it April 1st already??
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:26:43 pm »

holy crap, thats very........................................

even to my untrained eye, that car may have stability problems going round bends

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:18 pm »

holy crap, thats very........................................

even to my untrained eye, that car may have stability problems going round bends

Ovals at 200+ ? Shocked
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »

This is pretty laughable.  I suspect it will look radically different after the first test.  Was on the way home from Indy the other night and heard some of the IRL boffins yapping on the radio about the new car proposals from Dallara, Swift, Lola, etc  It sounds for all the world like Indycar is going to continue to be a one car, one engine spec formula, which gives me plenty of reasons to continue to not give a crap about Indycar racing.
Fax
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »

Is Batman driving that Batmobile?

Crouch..........bind..........set
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:20:45 am »

Ugly as hell !

Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:45 pm »

Ugly as hell !

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder  Wink

Personally I do not think it looks that bad, ok the track could be a little wider on the front ... each to his own, remember some people even like the look of a Porsche compared to an Aston!!!!

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:55 pm »

It would look great if it were a top fuel dragster design, but this device has to go around corners, they race on road courses as well as ovals.  I'm not a aerospace engineer, but I can't see that thing generating much downforce, or being very stable.
No one can figure out what the hell the guys running the IRL are trying to do.  They just announced a new CEO to replace the Idiot Grandson, some guy named Randy Bernard, who used to be the president of the Professional Bull Riders Association.  WTF?  The guy has no background whatsoever in motor racing, never been to a race in his life.  Guess they assume he can't screw things up any worse than the last moron.
At least the guys on the radio were honest, they said this car may define what a Indycar is for a new generation of fans, since none of the current generation are watching.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »

I hate to get technical, but cars have most of the roll stiffness at the front, so that the rear is a bit more flexible to get more traction.  They can't do this with such a narrow front end, so it won't go round corners.  It'll handle like a Reliant Robin  Shocked Shocked Shocked Sorry, what am I saying, its American, they don't do corners, (except for Sebring and they call them turns, which in English means a stage act, or a bit of a fit)

I think it looks like this

But it'll be as effective as a Nissan Bluebird

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:44:56 am »

Another thing I don't think the designers have thought about. Even if the car does work and handles. IRL cars race wheel to wheel on ovals at over 200 MPH, the drivers run inches apart because they can see their front wheels and guage the distance between the car next to them. How the hell can they do that when the front end is about a third the width of the back end of the car,  that they can't  see when looking forward.

Lots of crashes then I think if this design gets picked.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:12:41 am »

My take on this is, that if it gets accepted, they will test it, realize it doesn't work at all, put a conventional front suspension on it, strip off the rudder and replace it with normal fore & aft wings, and the damn thing will end up looking like a 1983 Brabham BT-52,
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 09:17:10 am »

My take on this is, that if it gets accepted, they will test it, realize it doesn't work at all, put a conventional front suspension on it, strip off the rudder and replace it with normal fore & aft wings, and the damn thing will end up looking like a 1983 Brabham BT-52,
Fax

I very much doubt that car will ever see the light of day, but if you do end up with a BT - 52 then than wont be all that bad, other than it will prove the IRL is nearly 30 years behind the game and Bernie will want a wedge of cash for the use of the the design!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:38 am »

They just announced a new CEO to replace the Idiot Grandson, some guy named Randy Bernard, who used to be the president of the Professional Bull Riders Association.  WTF?  The guy has no background whatsoever in motor racing, never been to a race in his life.  Guess they assume he can't screw things up any worse than the last moron.

Marshall Pruett had only good things to say about him!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:41:30 pm »

Agreed Nordic, the BT-52 BMW was Gordon Murray's beautiful ad-hoc solution to JMB's sudden rule change over the winter of 82/83, and was one of the prettiest F1 machines ever built (for those not old enough to remember it, check out the cover of MotorSport from a couple of month's ago).  But as you so correctly pointed out, its a design that going on thirty years old, and fans think the current generation of Indycars look old and out of date, this will really look ridiculous.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: