Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 03:54:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAF Tornado Seconds Away from Crashing  (Read 7051 times)
Ferrari Spider

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:34:45 pm »

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:13:34 pm by Ferrari Spider » Logged
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:58:26 pm »

Thats got to be trick of the eye  Shocked

They have lumps of what round the back???
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:47 pm »

Photo taken close to the top of a mountain & the aircraft is about to dive down behind said mountain?

If it was seconds to crashing my money would be on the canopy having been blown prior to the crew punching out.

Oh, and it's a little late on the round out again isn't it, Hoskins?

Crouch..........bind..........set
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »

A nice example of the pull, roll, pull method of staying at low level when crossing a ridge line.  If not of the Hoskins line, it could be Uncle Roger's grandson, one of the many offspring of Pilot Officer Prune, or hopefully one of the wiser disciples of Wing Commander Spry.... Grin Grin Grin

MG Mark       

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »

Not heard that one in the context of rolling over a ridge, but the sense fits with landman's "bit late on the round out again Hoskins" reference, which I remember well from the compulsory reading of the weekly "Straight and Level" page of aviation humour in Flight International magazine edited by "Uncle Roger" - the reference usually in connection with a heavy landing.  Rolling over a ridge does tend to be rather more of a rapid and terminal compression of bits if got wrong. 

MG Mark   

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »

Captain Speaking here...

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

great another Roger Bacon aficionado;  arrrh de Havilland...

Indeed - many a happy moment contemplating the text and pictures in Straight and Level.  And with both parents have worked for De Havilland at Hatfield in the 40s through to the late 50s (when they made real and beautiful aeroplanes), most definitely "Aaaah De Havilland". Grin

MG Mark

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:13 am »

Hi Mark,
            Then you might be interested in this article from Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/748665--downsview-dilemma#photo

In the newspaper they had a nice picture of a Mosquito.

Canada Phil
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:36 pm »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that - a nice reminder that it wasn't all "Made in Britain"!  Also brings back nice memories over the years of visiting (or working at!) similar facilties that still exist here, like the huge airship hangars at Cardington near Bedford, the RAF Apprentice training hangars at RAF Halton, or those that have been lost through modern demolition, like the hangars at Hatfield and Castle Bromwich.  The one absolutely priceless piece of "history on a wall" that I remember being foolishly and irretrievably destroyed was on my first tour at RAF Hendon in NW London in 1978, a station with a long and illustrious aviation history from the birth of aviation in England with the Graeme-White aircraft factory there, which became the Hendon flying Club and airfield, WW1 aviation activity and then RAF Hendon before it closed in 1987 (the RAF Museum occupies part of the old airfield site, near the St Pancras railway line).  The Officers Mess which was built in 1917 was originally the "London Aerodrome Hotel", then became the Flying Club's HQ and living accommodation for members, and then the Officers Mess for RAF Hendon.  A lovely mock Tudor building, full of oak panelling and deep-buttoned leather armchairs - my bedroom was above the main entrance and was one half of what had been the Prince of Wales's permanent suite of rooms kept for him there in the 1930s in which he could "entertain lady friends...."  One of the rooms downstairs, just off the main bar, was used as the "scruff's bar" so that one could get a drink without having to comply with the dress regulations pertaining to the main bar (suits after 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, jacket and tie on all other nights...).  

That room was about half the size of an ISO container (IIRC) had always been so used through the various occupiers of the building and each wall was covered, instead of with the usual mix of trophies, bits and pictures of aircraft and the like, with large black rectangles, painted directly onto the walls.  So it was rather like sitting surrounded by a lot of school blackboards; over the years, these had been adorned with the signatures, in white paint, of anyone who was anyone in the civil and military aviation, and latterly the aerospace, worlds who had visited the Mess and drunk in the "scruff's bar".  Start with the Wright brothers, Bleriot, Cody, Sopwith etc, work through just about every famous RAF pilot and civil pilot to Neil Armstrong and they had all been there.  A very special place to be.  You can imagine how we felt when returning to the Mess after work one day for dinner and a few beers, to find that some complete and utter w**ker from the building maintenance organisation had decided that the room needed smartening up – the whole lot had gone in a day, each wall scraped bare and flat back to the plaster, and then covered in wallpaper…….gutted does not get near describing the feeling  

The Mosquito has good memories too, not just because it was a beautiful design, but one of our family friends, now long departed flew Mosquitos in the RAF during WW2 and was one of those inspiring people that helped instil in me not just a love of aircraft, but the desire to join the RAF - my personal favourite picture of one has to be this one.....
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964%20-%202705.html  Grin

MG Mark
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:12:45 pm by mgmark » Logged

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:39 pm »

RAF Hendon, happy memories 120 squadron 'A' Flight, we paraded in one of the hangars destined to become part of the Museum.  A school chums father was based out in Sing for quite some time with FEAF flying the HP Hastings, rightly called 'alf a Halifax'

The good news the original Grahame White building has been saved and being carefully moved over to the museum, a bit like a well know temple at Luxor.

Colindale just isn't the same anymore, sad how things change...

Indeed, and how much we have given away - like RAF Medmenham just outside Marlow, where just about every RAF Photo Reconnaissance picture taken from 1941 onwards was rushed for analysis, and the Officers' Mess overlooked the Thames, with the Mess gardens dropping down to a few hundred yard of river frontage.  http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/2253513050_668bde5119.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/dunmail/2253513050/&usg=__PehVXqp2B3zrGbQNmH-oEcZwiTs=&h=335&w=500&sz=83&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=nlavaDj0ZthuAM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Draf%2Bmedmenham%2Bofficers%2Bmess%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

It was a very grand country house - Danesfield House - even grander than RAF Bentley Priory was, and is now a v. swanky hotel.  And what have we got our main HQ now?  RAF High Wycombe.....oh, that we had retained Medmenham instead....

MG Mark     

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:17 am »

"that we had retained Medmenham instead.... "
Am I correct in saying Mark, that it would now be your house Cheesy

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that - a nice reminder that it wasn't all "Made in Britain"!  Also brings back nice memories over the years of visiting (or working at!) similar facilties that still exist here, like the huge airship hangars at Cardington near Bedford, the RAF Apprentice training hangars at RAF Halton, or those that have been lost through modern demolition, like the hangars at Hatfield and Castle Bromwich.  The one absolutely priceless piece of "history on a wall" that I remember being foolishly and irretrievably destroyed was on my first tour at RAF Hendon in NW London in 1978, a station with a long and illustrious aviation history from the birth of aviation in England with the Graeme-White aircraft factory there, which became the Hendon flying Club and airfield, WW1 aviation activity and then RAF Hendon before it closed in 1987 (the RAF Museum occupies part of the old airfield site, near the St Pancras railway line).  The Officers Mess which was built in 1917 was originally the "London Aerodrome Hotel", then became the Flying Club's HQ and living accommodation for members, and then the Officers Mess for RAF Hendon.  A lovely mock Tudor building, full of oak panelling and deep-buttoned leather armchairs - my bedroom was above the main entrance and was one half of what had been the Prince of Wales's permanent suite of rooms kept for him there in the 1930s in which he could "entertain lady friends...."  One of the rooms downstairs, just off the main bar, was used as the "scruff's bar" so that one could get a drink without having to comply with the dress regulations pertaining to the main bar (suits after 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, jacket and tie on all other nights...).  

That room was about half the size of an ISO container (IIRC) had always been so used through the various occupiers of the building and each wall was covered, instead of with the usual mix of trophies, bits and pictures of aircraft and the like, with large black rectangles, painted directly onto the walls.  So it was rather like sitting surrounded by a lot of school blackboards; over the years, these had been adorned with the signatures, in white paint, of anyone who was anyone in the civil and military aviation, and latterly the aerospace, worlds who had visited the Mess and drunk in the "scruff's bar".  Start with the Wright brothers, Bleriot, Cody, Sopwith etc, work through just about every famous RAF pilot and civil pilot to Neil Armstrong and they had all been there.  A very special place to be.  You can imagine how we felt when returning to the Mess after work one day for dinner and a few beers, to find that some complete and utter w**ker from the building maintenance organisation had decided that the room needed smartening up – the whole lot had gone in a day, each wall scraped bare and flat back to the plaster, and then covered in wallpaper…….gutted does not get near describing the feeling  

The Mosquito has good memories too, not just because it was a beautiful design, but one of our family friends, now long departed flew Mosquitos in the RAF during WW2 and was one of those inspiring people that helped instil in me not just a love of aircraft, but the desire to join the RAF - my personal favourite picture of one has to be this one.....
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964%20-%202705.html  Grin

MG Mark

Christ on a Bike!

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »

tut tut

estate agents

always looking for a deal

Wink

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:12:37 pm »

tut tut
estate agents
always looking for a deal
Wink

Gary is quite correct - indeed it would have been, probably in one of the rooms with a balcony, overlooking the Thames...

MG Mark

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 06:30:26 am »

Hi Mark,
           Thank you for that informative story.
Canada Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: