Club Arnage
June 30, 2024, 12:40:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schumacher to Join Mercedes/Brawn GP  (Read 12539 times)
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 10:39:07 am »

Roll on the start of the MotoGP season, watch some proper racing... I think this will be a really competitive year.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 09:09:41 pm »

The Brawn/schumacher partnership is bound to generate some interesting tacitical moves, shame Ross has bought in schumi rather than bring on new tallent.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »

Fax - How can you justify that?  the 2008 championship was decided 2 corners away from the finish, in the last race of what had been a roller coaster season. 

Last season became more predictable, but there was alot of overtaking - alot of on track action, and some interesting off track antics as well. Plus a fairytale debut season for a privateer team.

Schumachers return adds fuel to what was already a nicely smouldering fire - I have a feeling it will have a similar effect as shoving dynamite on it! 

2 British Champs in the same team.  Schumacher. Alonso in a Ferrari. Red Bull pushing their way through the field. 26 (?) cars. Drivers having to cope with changing cars as fuel loads go down.

All in all - it has classic season written all over it - I guess from where you are - you'll not get disappointed, and from where I am, I am set up to be let down - but this is the most excited I've been about an F1 season for years.

Merry Xmas - Hope you've had a good one.

Brad

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »

Its very simple Brad why I find F1 so pathetic now, because I was a fan of it when it was glorious.  Today its become basically a made for TV extravaganza, at its core an expensive spec formula, with suffocating technical regulations.  The races are held, with a couple of exceptions, mostly on over-sized karting tracks, with the facilities for the posers taking priority over the layout of the circuit  And most of the off track antics are juvenile and embarassing, hardly befitting the legacy of a sport that gave of the likes of Fangio, Moss, Clark, Stewart, etc. And I'm still trying to come up of all the overtaking you mention, most of the overtaking I saw was in the pits.  From where I stand its no different than NASCAR in that its gradually been dumbed down to make it more appealing to the mainstream stick & ball fans, with hyping the drivers and team principals taking priority.  Its not about racing anymore, its about selling t-shirts and hats to Joe Blow on the steet, and selling luxury suites at the track to the guy in the corporate office so he can impress his clients, you know, taking them to see the pinnacle of the sport and all that, because Bernie says that what it is.
The other night as I watched a DVD of the '86 Austrian GP that a friend has given me, it was mind boggling to realize the depth's to which F1 has sunk in a little over twenty years.
Hope you had a good Christmas too Brad,
Fax
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:24:12 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 07:18:55 pm »

IMHO I think the racing over the last 2 years has improved and may even surpass that of the 80's, which if we take off the rose tinted glasses was often dull and dominated by 3 teams, Mclaren, Ferrari and Williams. Overtaking all but stopped with the advent of Ground effect and has only now started to become popular again. Next year without refueling then it will become even more key to winning.

The drivers are stage managed to the point they cannot move without handlers and PR people during races, however when they are let off, from my friends experiance with LH and the seedy world of nitro R/C cars they are very grounded and good company. This does not only affect F1, but all sports and the top players so maybe its unfair to pick on F1.

In the 50's when Moss, Hawthorne and collins was around the press followed there every move, yet only reported the good points and, if a current driver shagged his way around europe then it would be headline news with an obvious knock on to sponsors.

The teams and tracks are part of a huge PR monster, again the same affects football (scoccer and Amercian), and almost every other sport. money is king.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:59:07 am by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 03:07:31 am »

In life, three things are certain.  Tax. Death. Change.

Yes F1 has changed. It's still the cutting edge of motorsports, as it was throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's and most of the 90's.

I refer you to this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUeEBe2fL_s  I say F1 has got more exciting - it's not the same as 20 years ago, but at least now it's racing, not purely tactical - and next year - I think you'll find this will become even more the case....
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 04:58:46 am »

You guys can keep drinking Bernie's Kool-Aid, I'm done with it.  If I want to go watch spec cars, with rev limiters and all that crap, hell I can go watch the IRL.  I'm sticking with the bikes and sportscars, see you in March at at real racing circuit, not some shitty little monument to Bernie's ego in the Middle Eastern desert somewhere.
Fax
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »

Peter,

Sorry about the yawning, but The Ego has never "done it" for me, ever.

To me this return is just all about his ego & sod everybody else.

There are loads of younger, talented drivers who deserve the breaks he got.

If all of the old gits decide to return then we'll never get another JB/LH.

Someone had to make way for Michael once, he should have the good sense to realise this himself.

Just hope that he has a minor/non-injury shunt that brings him to his senses early in the season & he decides to hang up his helmet once & for all.

Now, back to my yawning...

Crouch..........bind..........set
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:38 am »

Someone had to make way for Michael once,

Yeah - Bertrand Gachot got himself thrown in the hoosegow.  Grin

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 09:25:49 am »

Had to look both Bertrand Gachot and hoosegow.

I am now enlightened  Grin

Crouch..........bind..........set
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:35 am »

Peter,

Someone had to make way for Michael once, he should have the good sense to realise this himself.

Just hope that he has a minor/non-injury shunt that brings him to his senses early in the season & he decides to hang up his helmet once & for all.

Without doubt these returns mostly end the same way, however if he can prove himself as fast as he was before, then its ups to the youngsters to knock him of his perch.

dispite my own misgivings about him and no one detests the way he drove in the past more than me, i cant help but admire his ability. there have been few better drivers than him in the current era.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 01:38:34 am »

Peter,

Without doubt these returns mostly end the same way, however if he can prove himself as fast as he was before, then its ups to the youngsters to knock him of his perch.

dispite my own misgivings about him and no one detests the way he drove in the past more than me, i cant help but admire his ability. there have been few better drivers than him in the current era.

And that's the whole point - his return simply adds interest, to what was already shaping up to be a good looking season.

Fax - Forgive me if I'm wrong, but do IRL cars not rev quite a bit lower than F1 cars anyway??

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 08:01:23 pm »

Brad, the IRL engine spec require a 10,500 rev limit on their 3.5 liter unit, F1 specs are 18,000 on the 2.4 liter engines.  Both end up at roughly 700 BHP.
As I've said, they're both crap!  Anytime your limiting engine revs, especially when your supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport as F1 once was, its fake, manipulated and over-regulated.  Essentially what it does is give everyone the same engine.  For the one thousandth time...spec racing is for club racing and junior formula's, not for any form of the sport that is supposed to be cutting edge.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »

I still think that 8,000 rpm sounds nicer, but F1 is F1, and will we end up with 500cc motors that rev to 50,000.

I still think that the Group C regulations have the answer.  Allow any engine but only  X gallons of fuel for the race, and then they have to get clever, plus we all benefit from the research into economy

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »

Couldn't agree more Lorry, the turbo era was a bit like that, you had 1400 BHP on tap but only so much fuel onboard.  It was a thinking man's race.  A F1 race now is just a dumbed down series of F3 races thrown together.
Fax
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:19:05 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: