Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 05:35:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday  (Read 2260 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:35:34 pm »

Remembrance Sunday today, and just got back to a computer after a longish trek up north and back - the missus's father is now President of the RBL in Redcar, so as work wasn't requiring me to be elsewhere, I packed my best bib and ticker and we went up there to give him some small measure of support for their Remembrance parade. 

A fine one it was too for a such a sized town, with sea-salted air, and a drizzle turning to rain during the outdoor service, clearing up to a full rainbow arch and sun as it concluded.  Quite symbolic and fitting really.  I then ended up being asked up on to the dais with him to take the salute, which was humbling seeing the ranks of many-medalled veterans from WW2, Korea and later conflicts marching past, along with one whose white and red ribbon was unfamiliar given for service during the Nuclear Tests of the 50's in the Pacific, and equally humbling talking to some of them afterwards to find that they were pleased that one serving was amongst them. 

No jingoism or xenophobia, just remembering times, colleagues and friends, so wherever you were, in whatever country, I trust that you had equally good remembrances, and that Wednesday at 1100 will bring a moment's silence and reflection.....

Remember, lest we forget, for our tomorrow they gave their today.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:00:28 pm »

Had a weekend away with the family in Belgium a couple of weeks ago when we visited Ypres & the Yorkshire Trench.
We stayed on for the nightly memorial at the Menin gate which was incredibly moving. 

I uploaded a vid of the Last Post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FzXJlIcO8A 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: