Club Arnage
October 05, 2024, 10:11:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Motorcycle Museum Fire  (Read 10498 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2003, 09:02:38 am »

Nothing to do with Le Mans, but to anyone who values our motoring heritage, the devastating fire is terrible news. About 650 classic bikes gone up in smoke. Grand Prix winners, TT winners, Brooklands winners, Land speed record holders, all gone for ever. It's just too awful for words.

I grew up in Birmingham and I remember the museum being built in the late eighties. I went the week it opened, tho it has been extended hugely since. I called in about a year ago when I was passing by for another look, but it was closed. Bugger.

Let's hope they manage to salvage something from the ashes, with true Brummy defiance.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 09:03:33 am by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 09:09:23 am »

I too was extremely saddened to see the news on TV this morning. Now and again when I have been in the Brum area on business I have taken the opportunity to look in and the collection is (was Sad) truly wide ranging and unique.

The pictures on TV showed an awful lot of damage but as Andy says let's hope something can be saved.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 09:42:43 am »

Terrible news!!

I went there for a conference a couple of years back and it was an incredible collection.

News this morning says that the owner is adamant that he will rebuild the museum and look to start a new collection.

And the rumours are that it looks as though it was all started by someone discarding a cigarette into a box of rubbish outside the building!!   Angry
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 11:16:20 am by jpchenet » Logged
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 10:40:30 am »

Three out of five halls destroyed from what I have heard and the Fire Brigade will be there for another day or two  Shocked

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 10:42:48 am »

Very sad to hear this.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 12:41:54 pm »

This has 'Insurance Job' written all over it if you ask me. I'll bet the boys from Lloyds are all over the place like a rash.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 06:27:35 pm »

You may be right H but the owner was on TV this morning and was totally distraught, his lifes work in up flames etc.

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 08:29:13 pm »

Hmmm, I know, it seems cruel to be cynical at this stage; let me just mention a complete b*stard tw*t though.....Lord Brockett.

If I remember rightly, the b*gger was crushing Ferraris and Maseratis and putting them in landfill. Even with my rudimentary understanding of recycling techniques I would say that the Environment wasn't foremost in his wrinkly little aristocratic head. I wonder if he's out yet? Personally I hope he's stitching mailbags with the rest of them and only drops the soap in the shower now and then. Mind you, given his privileged background he's probably treating that bar of soap in the same way Grobblejar attacked crosses. It'll be wriggling around on that tiled floor like a lively mackeral, while Brockett chases it, bent double but with straight knees. I bet.

You have to wonder though, how a modern facility like that museum could go up in flames, especially when the contents could be considered high risk.

Maybe the nightwatchman was indulging in some flatulatory pyrotechnics to impress the schoolgirls he'd smuggled in. And who could throw the first stone?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 09:31:18 pm »

You have to wonder though, how a modern facility like that museum could go up in flames, especially when the contents could be considered high risk.
Normal modern building construction requires all kinds of fire retardant treatment and I would have thought their insurance company would have stipulated minimum fire resistance specifications.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 09:48:00 pm »

The deliberate fire theories may not be right.  If it is a charitable trust (not sure, but likely) then one person or a group arent likely to benefit.  

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 12:25:57 pm »

That bounder Brockett is a total cad. It would be funny in an Ealing comedy starring Terry Thomas, but torching rare cars for the insurance in real life is a shits trick. He should be blackballed, and not just from his Club.

Bad news tho H, the swine is out of clink and swanning around as if nothing had happenned. He was on TV recently, giving it the old humility bit, prison changed his life etc. Happily he is virtually penniless, his awful money grabbing wife having grabbed what was left and run of with another chap, who is likely to be another absolute rotter. Hurrah!

I wondered also how a modern building can go up so fast. Did they not have sprinklers, alarms etc. You are right tho, something smells of a very large and pongy rat. But really it cannot be Roy Richards, the museums founder. He is an honest, guiless Brummy, with a huge  and genuine love of the British motorcycle industry (as was). If you know Brum, you will know what I mean, there are a lot of people like this in Brum, genuine salt of the earth types. So I cannot believe him capable of even contemplating torching it.

Maybe it was the night watchman with a grudge or a rival museum owner with an axe to grind.

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 12:36:36 pm »

According to some news article I read, the fire started from the outside of the building. The article stated that the fire was started by a still glowing cigarette. That makes it even more unbelievable that the whole complex burns down that fast.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 01:08:06 pm »

However it started, it is devastating news Cry Cry Cry Cry

I wonder what the precautions are at Beauleigh?

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 03:56:21 pm »

According to some news article I read, the fire started from the outside of the building. The article stated that the fire was started by a still glowing cigarette. That makes it even more unbelievable that the whole complex burns down that fast.

Thats right, they always blame everything on smokers in the absence of any other reason.

I sometimes wonder if it is still possible these days to die of anything other than a smoking related illness. They are about to crack down on "passive drinking" next. I kid you not!

Fax
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 06:00:05 pm »

This is a great tragedy guys.  The AMA has a similar museum here in Ohio and I hope they're checking the sprinkler system today.  Its about to get wet, Isabel's here!
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: