Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 05:10:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riems Old Grand Prix Circuit  (Read 18876 times)
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2003, 07:55:55 am »

This thread about Reims made me think about the Grenzlandring. That was an old race circuit in Germany at the border to the Netherlands and it was once the fastest oval in Europe. The Grenzlandring was a ring road around a town called Wegberg which was build by the Nazis. After the war it was pure chance that it was used as a racing circuit. In its haydays in the early 1950's it attracted around 250.000 spectators in average although there were only a small number of races. In 1952 there was a huge accident which brought racing on the Grenzlandring to a halt. There was never a race there since. Roll Eyes

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2003, 08:34:33 am »

In the same way, Montlhery will be closed at the end of 2004  Embarrassed. The last event will be the Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or next june.

For people form the other side of the pond, Montléhry is our French Goodwood...

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2003, 10:17:10 am »

Wow, they have a fantastic web site with lots of information at http://montlhery.com/autodrom_eng.htm in french, english and german. End of June 2004 is fixed in my calendar. Gilles, have you ever been at the Grand Prix de l'Age d'or ? That sounds very interesting, indeed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 10:41:11 am by hgb » Logged

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2003, 01:32:04 pm »

That picture reminds me of Brooklands................bloody shopping centre now Cry

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
ChrisConsidine
Club Arnage Administrator
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2003, 05:14:20 pm »

Here's anohter one you guys might like: http://users.pandora.be/les.consultants.bvba1/sitges/

Chris Considine
CXC Simulations
www.cxcsimulations.com
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2003, 05:30:58 pm »

Here's anohter one you guys might like: http://users.pandora.be/les.consultants.bvba1/sitges/

Wow!!! These are all great. Wonder if Mrs. R would like to do a family tour of Europe this summer?  Wink
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2003, 06:09:41 pm »

Why is it that anything of any historical interest is scheduled to be destroyed in the name of the great God money, unless someone actually bothers to put up a fight to save it?

The Sitges place looks awsome. A bucket of polyfilla would soon have the track back ship-shape again. I have read about this place in old motor racing books, but I had no idea that it was still in existence.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Fax
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2003, 06:32:32 pm »

I would suggest that anyone who has any interest in the history of the sport visit these cathedral's quickly, they are vanishing at an alarming rate. Some friends travelling through Normandy were recently horrified to find that the old Rouen-les-Essarts circut is completely gone, and I mean completely! Pits, Grandstands, everything! They even paved over the hairpin cobbles. We all know the plight of the Monza banking. This blight isn't unique to Europe either. The great old Riverside circut in California is now a sprawling residential community and the historic old Ascot Park bullring where the likes of Bill Vukovich, Parnelli Jones and Rick mears cut their teeth is now an office park. Price of progress I guess.
Fax
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2003, 07:27:17 pm »

To continue on this thema: "Goodbye to historic automobile places" the ACO eventually destroyed the 2 houses face to Bleu Sud, remember the 2 houses on Maison Blanche where Steve Mac queen stopped in the opening sequence...  Cry

The ACO is erecting a concrete wall along the road, probably to keep safe the field where the houses were. In my opinion it maybe a little new campsite or parking or smarter an extension to the existing MB camp.  Huh

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 06:02:48 am »

Hi Rickmeister, Try the Mrs on with Fax's line about Cathedrals and add in some Ruins in the French Countryside. Reims is in the Champagne district I believe. Come on you old bullshitter make up a good story and take lots of pictures Roll Eyes
Canada Phil
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 09:35:53 am »

Reims is the heart of the champagne district my friend.  Cheesy

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 10:27:09 am »

Please go to the thread entitled 'Saving Montlhery' to find the link to sign the petition to save this track. Lots of people have signed already, including Phil Hill. French government does sometimes listen, especially if being accused of cultural vandalism.

J' accuse.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 10:44:10 am »

On the top of the general discussion board there is the track day thread. I wonder if it would be a good idea to organise a track day at Montlhery during the LM week next year. Lets say Tuesday or Wednesday. It's only 185 Kilometers from LM to Montlhery via L'autoroute, so not a big distance. And it could be the last chance to drive on that circuit in your life time. Additionally, it would probably help to convince the French government to keep the track alive. What do you think ? No, I'm not drunk. Cheesy

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2003, 11:06:18 am »

Nice idea if you are coming to LM in a sports car, I don't know if they let family saloons do this sort of thing Smiley
Although the thought of Andy Z's commer sweeping off the top of the banking and overtaking exotica on the inside has brought a smile to my face this morning Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 11:13:28 am by Barry » Logged
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2003, 01:14:02 pm »

Hmmmm probably more like sweeping Andy Z Commer off the top of the banking!!

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: