Club Arnage
July 01, 2024, 03:23:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's ours to keep  (Read 11243 times)
Ballast
CA Veteran

DON'T PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 04:40:18 pm »

I would just like to add my own (Spurs fan) congratulations to everyone involved with Liverpool FC. With a special mention to Stevie G & Jamie Carriger (spell check please) who I thought were outstanding. The fans were something else as well. Carriger reminds me of one Terry Butcher. All he was missing last night was a bloody bandage around his head!

Abs and I watched the game last night and I can safely say that it was one of the most enjoyable (eventually) that I have ever watched. I couldn't help get caught up in the atmosphere.

Are you an Everton or AC Milan supporter Jem? There is no doubt that AC played some silky football and scored some excellent goals, but at the end of the day they were unable to keep liverpool out on 3 seperate occasions, missed from 1 yard (the initial save rivals Gordon Banks against Pele for me) and managed to miss three penalties. So how on earth can you say that it was flukey?

Hopefully Liverpool will be given the oportunity to defend their crown. I do however fear that UEFA's perjudice against English teams will endure. I have no doubt that had AC Milan been in the same situation UEFA would being re-writing the rule book as we speak.

Top Job Guys!!!!  Grin Grin

Gazza

There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 04:50:39 pm »

Hopefully Liverpool will be given the oportunity to defend their crown. I do however fear that UEFA's perjudice against English teams will endure. I have no doubt that had AC Milan been in the same situation UEFA would being re-writing the rule book as we speak.

Well done Liverpool.

According to the TV this morning, UEFA has nothing to do with qualification critia, that's up to the countries FA.
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 05:06:26 pm »

Would point you to this, from the FA:

The FA confirmed today that the top four teams in the Premiership at the end of the season will enter next season’s UEFA Champions League.

The decision follows a recommendation from this afternoon’s Professional Game Board meeting, which has been endorsed by The FA Main Board. This will not be changed whatever the outcome of Liverpool's Champions League Final in Istanbul on 25 May.

However, The FA also believes that if Liverpool win in Istanbul and do not finish in the top four in the Premiership, an extra place should be allocated to them in the Champions League next season.

This is ultimately a matter for UEFA, but The FA will continue to make representations on this issue at the highest level.

Fairly conclusive, I would say.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 05:07:13 pm »

Sorry, forgot to say, that was dated 5th May.

johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 05:20:19 pm »

Are you guys talking about football or fooooootball?  I've heard you guys play soccer over there.  What has the NFL Europe done to show you guys what football is really all about?  ha ha.

Say I heard that there is some American connection to the Manchester team now.  Is that true?  That might be a connection we need here to pump up the interest in world class Soccer.  There is a growing participation with the young kids, boys and girls, to play soccer here in the US.   It may take a generation for it to blossom but it's becoming the real deal for us.

Congrats to Liverpool!!!!!   Sounds like it was a good one.
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 05:22:08 pm »

i read that TNS (welsh premier champions, who get a qualifying round 1 place in the champs league) have offered liverpool a 'play-off' to fetermine who gets the qualifying place. uefa will never go for it tho
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 05:26:14 pm »

Tink,
my mate is a director at TNS (the compooter company that own TNS the football club). I will ask what's happening.

Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 05:38:57 pm »

Are you guys talking about football or fooooootball?  I've heard you guys play soccer over there.  What has the NFL Europe done to show you guys what football is really all about?  ha ha.

Say I heard that there is some American connection to the Manchester team now.  Is that true?  That might be a connection we need here to pump up the interest in world class Soccer.  There is a growing participation with the young kids, boys and girls, to play soccer here in the US.   It may take a generation for it to blossom but it's becoming the real deal for us.

Not sure why the swear machine didn't pick up on this post, there's far two many uses of the word "soccer" for my liking. This is a decent family site and we can do without language like that, thank you very much  Wink

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 05:46:30 pm »

John, we play football over here, which you lot call soccer. We claim the name cos we invented it hundreds of years ago, about the same time some dodgy looking blokes wearing black were setting sail from Plymouth; you lot play American football over there and it's a game I simply cannot stomach. Baseball, yes, now that's ok,but American football sucks.

Anyway, I don't know why you guys call it football, I mean, you hardly ever kick it do you. Mind you, as far as I can see, the players hardly ever do anything except tackle the opposition when they haven't even got the ball. Just how dumb is that?? No, IMO American football is a wretched game and is only followed here by sad inadquate blokes who still live with their mums. Maybe it used to be a good sport but since the NFL sold it's ass to the TV networks, it's commerciality has spoiled the spectacle. That and the ridiculous and totally unnecessary body armour.  You could argue that our football is in grave danger of following suite...

We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor...

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 08:40:42 pm »

I've watched a little bit of rugby and it may be the best of the two.  Down and dirty.    Also, years ago, on the tele I watched a game called "Hurling" I believe that is what is was called.  Man did that look rough.  There were guys with sticks acting like they were after a little tennis ball but were really knocking the cr*p out of each other and no one would call a time out to go collect the injured off the field.  The crazy mothers just kept on playing with fallen teammates laying all around the field.  Eventually, you would see a guy get up and go back to it.  I couldn't believe that they didn't remove the dead and injuried.  We don't play any thing that rough here.  I was stunned at what I saw.  Maybe that was an unusual game but that's what was happening on that day.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 10:02:18 pm »

Are you an Everton or AC Milan supporter Jem?

Nothing wrong with that. I grew-up in a large family of footie fans. Unfortunately, mum is a committed Liverpool fan, Dad is a rabid Evertonian. You can only imagine the trepidation of my siblings and I as Merseyside derby matches approached (I sh*t you not!)
I was scarred to the extent that I decided to completely shun professional football so I supported Nottingham Forest.

Now, I think Andy Zarse's ill-informed and confrontational comments about American Football are totally without foundation or merit. Had he not confessed to me that he derived pleasure from watching that dullest and most mind-numbing of field sports, Cricket, I may even have taken him seriously.
In keeping with my penchant for supporting the loosingest of teams, I follow the Cincinnati Bengals - the Morgan Aero 8 of the NFL.

Congrats to LFC - but my father and Dave H (as well as Jem) will be fully fledged members of the "Who Gives a f**k Club".

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:53 pm »

Not wrong there Matt in terms of spotting the fact that my loyalty lies in the blue half of liverpool.

And now because Milan lost, note I did'nt say Lpool won because Milan threw it away, I'm going to have to endure a summer of whinging red scum saying they should be in next years champ league and not everton.

Its all becoming too much to bear quite honestly.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jem
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 01:15:19 am »

My neighbour is an Evertonian, and at half time he came out of his house and planted a very large Italian flag in his lawn, followed by an equally large Everton flag, laughing his head off.

I haven't seen him today, but I can't wait for him to want to borrow my jump leads again!  Grin Grin Grin

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 08:58:38 am »

I kinda agree with Mr Zarse about the american football stuff........it just takes soooooooooooooooooooooo long to finish a game.  Less convinced about the baseball........whats alll that swapping teams backwards n forwards stuff about, ( they do that in their football to dont they)?

As i have said before I am more of a rugby fan tho i dont support anyone in particular but its generally a good scrap and the stadium atmosphere is more jolly.

Mind you, aussie rules is an excellent spectacle if you ever get down there, with quality meat pies at half time .......and they wear just the tiniest of shorts too!  Wink

F
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 09:59:06 am »

.......and they wear just the tiniest of shorts too!  Wink

Bang goes your honourary bloke status Fran!!!

Perhaps more of a "Geezer Bird"!!  Grin Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: