Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 10:54:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sensible Reminders  (Read 18964 times)
Ballast
CA Veteran

DON'T PANIC

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2005, 11:15:34 am »

Hi Everyone.

Thought it might be an idea to start a thread that includes all those sensible items that we always forget because we've been too busy sorting out the fun stuff.

I'll kick things off with a reminder to get travel / medical insurance. And a reminder for all those with E111's that they need to get new ones as they've changed!

Apologies for the sensible thing, it wont happen again  Wink Grin

There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 11:34:25 am »

I think you're on the wrong forum mate. I tried to start a sensible thread once but I've learnt my lesson now  Cheesy

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:38:06 am »

One sensible thing though, if you're planning to take your mobile phone with you make sure it's activated for international roaming. Might be obvious but if you've recently changed contract it probably isn't set up.

Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:41:24 am »

Oh and take a colour photocopy of your driving licence (both parts) so the local constablary don't take your original if you happen to be caught doing 31 in a 30 zone.

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:42:00 am »

I'll add:

1. Proper European insurance cover (so called Green Card). Most UK policies say they provide European cover FOC, however this is only basic 3rd party minimum legal requirement so check your small print carefully.

2. European breakdown insurance. If you're an ACO member of course you will already have this, but it's a bit minimal (and if you have a classic prone to the odd problem) you only get one recovery!

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 11:45:18 am »

Pretzel

I phoned my insurers to ask how I get a green card and they told me that my insurance certificate will suffice. Do you know this to be true or do you actually have to have a green card?

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:06:53 pm »

Sensible thread..........

A copy of all your driving docs, insurance, D/L and V5

Passport

Tickets

Spare car key giev to another member of the  crew or secured to the underside of your vehicle ( like the towbar securing bracket )

Take life by the horns and live it.
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 12:25:32 pm »

Anyone want to buy an MG Huh  Grin

Bring on the low flyers
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 12:31:18 pm »

Anyone want to buy an MG Huh  Grin

Sensible thread Chris  Wink

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 12:33:50 pm »

Spare car key giev to another member of the  crew or secured to the underside of your vehicle ( like the towbar securing bracket )

Robbo, and you a copper an all, you should be ashamed giving out duff advice like that.  Wink Anyone fancy a crash and burn TWOCing extravaganza, say 4pm saturday?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 12:56:57 pm »

Robbo, and you a copper an all, you should be ashamed giving out duff advice like that.  Wink Anyone fancy a crash and burn TWOCing extravaganza, say 4pm saturday?
1  I always fasten the spare key to the underside of another crew member
2  what is a crash and burn TWOCing extravaganza?

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 01:17:05 pm »

Pretzel

I phoned my insurers to ask how I get a green card and they told me that my insurance certificate will suffice. Do you know this to be true or do you actually have to have a green card?

My understanding is - and it's been 6/7 years since i worked in insurance....that under a standard UK policy you automatically have the minimum cover required in the EU country that you are visiting, that is usually third party only or similar.  You no longer need a green card document in your hand as your certificate confirms you have this cover and this is sufficient for the local plod who if just concerned that you are driving legally.  

If you want your policy to continue at its UK level (ie TPF&T or Comp) then the insurer needs to extend the policy cover and this is still referred to as Green Card cover (even though you don't need the bit of paper). Most insurers charge you a bit extra for this.  

Certainly this is my experience and this is what my insurers (privilege) tell me, however I posted this a little while ago and someone said that their insurer automatically gave them their full policy cover without them needing to notify them.  Whilst not wishing to doubt whoever it was, this is not my experience and I'd be surprised at that approach as most insurers still view brits driving on the wrong side of the road as an additional risk and charge accordingly for it (hence the reduction in the number of ins co's giving free cover as they used to do a few years ago.  

The short answer is phone your insurers and make sure that they are answering the question of whether your cover continues in full whilst you are in France rather than do you need an additional piece of paper to keep the local plod happy!  

Edited to say:- I'm not sure I've seen sensible and Le Mans trip in the same sentence without a negative in there as well!  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:19:46 pm by Piglet » Logged
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 01:29:19 pm »

yeah but who'd nick a  rover anyway  Huh

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 01:42:17 pm »

Pretzel

My insurers do not issue a green card either, stating that the certificate is enough. Cuts down the admin I suppose.

Just check the detail in the policy to ensure the level of cover you have in the UK is extended to Europe.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 01:48:02 pm »

Suntan cream and waterproofs to cover both angles. I always pack my stunt kite when I go away on holiday. It guarentees warm days with not a breath of wind. Never used it yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: