Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 05:28:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mulsanne Corner by bike  (Read 8307 times)
mongoose
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2004, 06:20:23 pm »

Want to use my bike (bicycle) to get to Mulsanne Corner to watch qualifying/race.  Never been down there before - can anyone advise as to the best route to take to get there?  We're camping at Houx but directions from around the pit straight/paddock area would be fine.

Cheers
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 06:34:09 pm »

Mongoose,
Go to the General Discussion tab and open the 'Look useful information', you can download a map of the circuit and surrounding area, and choose your very own route. In reality though you'll probably end up following the traffic and the signs.
I've never done it on a bike, but I'd say you'll have to have your wits about you, if it's not gridlock then a lot of people are leadfooting it on what are narrow country lanes, on foot you can at least jump into the hedge.
Keep clear of the Whispering Wood, and cobras, obviously.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 06:37:50 pm »

Most people , even those who walk follow the same route that the cars (public) do . Its a long a winding road, with a many winding sings to be sung.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 08:34:35 pm »

Keep clear of .........., and cobras, obviously.
H

Thanks H.  Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 01:14:16 am »

Its a long a winding road, with a many winding sings to be sung.

But who's door does it lead to??  Wink
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 09:36:58 am »

Want to use my bike (bicycle) to get to Mulsanne Corner to watch qualifying/race.  Never been down there before - can anyone advise as to the best route to take to get there?  We're camping at Houx but directions from around the pit straight/paddock area would be fine.

Cheers

Do you want to access to Mulsanne corner inner track or outside ?

For the inner track access there's a few forest trails that you can drive with a bike, but really need a map...

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
mongoose
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 02:16:37 pm »

Thanks, think I'll try and avoid the heavy traffic in that case and use the forest trails.

Gilles, I didn't realise you could watch from the inner track area at Mulsanne corner.  Would this be near the old pits signalling area?  I've also seen (on TV) people watching on the inner track near the end of the Mulsanne straight, after the hump I think.  Ever been there?

Merci

James
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 05:20:16 pm »

For the inner track access there's a few forest trails that you can drive with a bike, but really need a map...

Gilles

I have a French IGN map of the area, and I was thinking about going to the inside of Mulsanne from Beausejour.  Do you think this is possible?

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 06:06:14 pm »

From what I've seen, the only people on the inside of Mulsanne are marshals, medics & fuzz. We tried all sorts of ways to get to the inside near the chicanes last year (on push bikes) - to no avail as we were always met by very bored Gendames - at all times of day and night. All we got were rather sore sphincters (from the saddle - not a boot up the bum), so followed the traffic and watched @ mulsanne and Arnage. Takes about 30mins by bike from the Porsche Curves crossroads, which is a whole lot quicker than by car.

The older I get, the faster I was.
Mr Toad
CA Veteran

Carrefour will provide!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 05:49:22 pm »

Just a connected thought - has anyone ever seen the French police brethalise someone on a bike? I'd like to give the Mulsanne trip a go as well, but didn't know what the score was?

www.beermountain.com - Home of the LM Camping Survival Guide!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 06:45:17 pm »

A couple of years back I was wobbling my way back from the Champagne Bar on Sat evening on my bike along the centre white line on the road from the main entrance down to MB. No lights...couldn't see straight etc...

And of course, there was virtually stationary traffic in both directions. There were two white vans together. I wobbled past the first then finally fell off onto the road in between them.

I got up, probably grinning inanely at the driver, and at that point noticed that both vans were gendarmes...

I didn't get breathalysed! In fact once I'd collected myself and my belongings, I just clambered back aboard and carried on...

Oh, and on arrival at our camp I cycled straight into the (rather pathetic) beer mountain, sending the whole lot over...
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 12:05:08 am »

In 96 cycled to indy arnage for the start, had a puncture about a mile from there and had to run with bike to to see the start. Much sweating ensured and replaced fluid loss with beer.
As i remember on the way back lost my mate Mark, cycled into the garden of a private house and was helpfully told the way back by the pleasant couple who lived there.
On returning to the road my addled brain forgot instructions and i cycled down the next dirt track leading to the track.
Having got within spitting distance of the track was stopped by the large group of gendarmes standing nearby, they and the minibus full which followed me ther e were again very helpful in telling me directions for the way back.
I sort of snapped out of the drunken stupor while cycling on the road and it suddenly became perfectly clear where i was.
By the time i got back to the campsite i had taken 3 hours to get back instead of 1. Mark was asleep in front of the tent but i was able to wake him with a kick and the shout loser as he's scottish and whilst cycling back England had beaten Scotland in the europen championship.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 09:22:10 am »

Thanks, think I'll try and avoid the heavy traffic in that case and use the forest trails.

Gilles, I didn't realise you could watch from the inner track area at Mulsanne corner.  Would this be near the old pits signalling area?  I've also seen (on TV) people watching on the inner track near the end of the Mulsanne straight, after the hump I think.  Ever been there?

Merci

James

In 95 I stood a few hours there. The old pits facilities are now the 24H golf facilities.

There's a walking way to access to it.

I'll checking my map and the reality to explore different trails asap, maybe this week.

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: