Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 03:19:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northen beer  (Read 13830 times)
saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2003, 12:26:18 pm »

I've been up north for a week, and much too my disappointment the beer was total sh*t. do landlords ever clean the pipes, and whats even worse bank's and marston's served with a load of cream on top it. All i can say is, I'm glad to be  back here drinking well served. mind you I'm driving to Spain next week, gilles we'll be coming back to cherbourg, If we come in time , maybe i'll stop and have drink with you,  can you let me kknow how to contact you ?
saveloy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 12:54:59 pm »

Sorry guy's perhaps i should be more specific, as i have had superb ale inYorkshire, It's the area around market drayton,
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 01:31:59 pm »

Sav, I speak as someone who went to school in nearby Newport, Shrops. Drayton is a total dump. The beer is famously crap, unlike in Newport, where aged 16 I bought my first pint of beer in a pub (Marstons Pedigree in the Kings Head in 1979, 34p a pint, lovely).

Did you really expect anything better in Drayton? It is like Royston Vasey, tho not as bad as Grantham, Lincs. Were you there on medical research into the inhabitants?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
saveloy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 01:48:17 pm »

that's what I thought Andy, I didn't want to be too rude, We went along the the canal, and couldn't find a decent beer anywhere. thank god  for stores selling bottled beer
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 02:56:18 pm »

I'll tell you what Sav, you were seriously getting my dander up, before you excused Yorkshire from your beer rant.
I live in torment at not being able to sup hand-pulled Tetley Bitter.
It is, without question, the finest mixture of hops, barley and yeast in the known universe (Grimbergen excepted, of course).
Good beer needs a head on it also - and the head should stick to the glass, all the way down - oh Christ, the thought of a couple of pints of Budschmeiser tonight has me all depressed.....

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 05:56:21 pm »

I'll tell you what Sav, you were seriously getting my dander up, before you excused Yorkshire from your beer rant.
I live in torment at not being able to sup hand-pulled Tetley Bitter.
It is, without question, the finest mixture of hops, barley and yeast in the known universe (Grimbergen excepted, of course).
Good beer needs a head on it also - and the head should stick to the glass, all the way down - oh Christ, the thought of a couple of pints of Budschmeiser tonight has me all depressed.....

My globe trotting mate told me most (90 % ) of American beer is LIGHT stuff and generally a little girly, and the thought of a pint of english stuff is enough to make them fall over with twinky induced heart failure.

Or i am wrong.

Again ....

Take life by the horns and live it.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 06:21:51 pm »

No Robbo, you are absolutely correct. And so is Matt.

Budwheezer is piss, King of Beers my arse. Even worse are Coors Lite or Miller Lite. Ack! I'd rather drink French beer and that is saying something. Whilst the Yanks do have a few good darker ales, mainly to be found in the north east US/Boston etc, it is generally nothing that could be described as "beer", so far as I understand the word.

A nice cool pint of T t t t t t ttetleys would hit the spot in warmer cliamte of FLA, eh Matt? And their tea ain't bad either. I say T t t t t tetley as there was a bloke who used to come into my local pub in Birmingham with a bad stutter and ask for a "P p p p pint of  T t t t tetleys. One day the landlord asked him why he didn't just drink Ansells. We nearly pissed ourselves.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 06:36:41 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 08:14:39 pm »

You unspeakable bastard, Zarse!
Just to reasure anyone who gives a flying fart, I only drink full-fat beer - never Lite Shite - the regular is watered down enough as it is.
American beer is not good - I can tolerate Sam Adams (Boston Beer) but it's still a poor imitation of the real thing. I've resorted to Guinness, where served without a dark grey head and Michelob if decent Nigerian is not available.
I don't miss income tax at 40% or scraping ice off my windscreen for half the year - but I really miss a decent pint of Tet or Timmy Taylors - or even John Smiths, at a pinch. Don't take it for granted - it's the food of the Gods.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 10:14:35 pm »

Would have to agree on most of our big mass produced commercial brews, Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.  Pretty dreadful stuff.  Its beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.  There are hundreds of good micro-brews available here though.  These are generally produced by small local breweries.  Sierra Neveda Pale Ale, Rogue Dead Guy Ale from Portland and Anchor Steam out of Frisco are especially good examples.  Like you said just stay away from what we call TV beer.
Fax
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 11:11:55 pm »

Rogue Dead Guy Ale??!! What the blazes is that Fax?
I got crappers on Anchor Steam Beer at the Orlando Beer Festival last year, but didn't see any Rogue Dead Guy - well - not a beer anyway.
I have to retract - some of the micro brews in Cincinnati are pretty good - trouble is, I've always been too hammered by Joe Kellers' Jack Daniels measures to appreciate them.
The other Cinci brew (Hudi Gold?) tastes like witches piss, however....

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 12:58:57 am »

My brother, my dad and a few lucky uncle's swear by Timothy Taylors , served in a  nice curry house in Bradford .

Only ever tttries the TTTea , and its flamin tetleys that one is.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 02:14:21 am »

I've been up north for a week, and much too my disappointment the beer was total sh*t. do landlords ever clean the pipes, and whats even worse bank's and marston's served with a load of cream on top it. All i can say is, I'm glad to be  back here drinking well served. mind you I'm driving to Spain next week, gilles we'll be coming back to cherbourg, If we come in time , maybe i'll stop and have drink with you,  can you let me kknow how to contact you ?

Big southern puff ! Us northerners will drink you southern puffs under the table any day
Fax
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 08:27:15 am »

Hi Matt, Rogues got a great taste and a fairly f**k*ng hilarious label to boot...A pretty standard Cincy night going here, Got pissed at Hap's,  Bud, Gwinn's & witches brew. Sitting here now in my shreddies scarfing down Skyline & Warstarters, life's not so bad after all, see you at Hendrick's Field!
John
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 05:01:55 pm »

Oh for f**k's sake.  Microbrew beer all has the same chemical, crap taste in the US.  I don't know why people rave on about it so much.

Was rather partial to VB in Australia - Zarse, were you quaffing that at all?

Was in London a few weeks back and must say I was served pretty much the most filthy tasting pint of Giunness I have ever had the misfortune to handle.  Undrinkable.  Will be in Berlin and Hamburg next week.  Any good recommendations for pubs, restaurants or beer?
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 07:54:41 pm »

Hi Dave, Whie I have never been to Germany you can not go far wrong with Warstarter or DAB Grin
Canada Phil
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: