Club Arnage
July 05, 2024, 03:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonneville  (Read 3565 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:55:49 pm »

http://speedhunters.com/archive/tags/bonneville09/default.aspx

Has anyone ever been from here, I have always loved the idea bonneville.

I suspect like most events its best days are now behind, but it does still hold an attraction to me and is on the 'one day' list and I think these photos capture some of the magic.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:02 pm »

Rup, Bonneville Speed Week is definately on my "Must do one day" list. 

As you say, maybe the best years are behind us now (certainly the salt is not as good as it was).  But there's still a die hard hot rod fraternity that attend Speed Week in August, World of Speed in September and the 'World' Finals in October.
I reckon, purely from a weather point of view, Speed Week is the best bet.  Certainly, looking at the photos on your link, the salt looks to be in good shape this year.

The British steam land speed record car is currently in the US at Edwards Air Force base carrying out shake down runs prior to an attempt at the steam record http://www.steamcar.co.uk/  They're currently managing 130 mph.

... and then there's Andy Green / Richard Noble's latest LSR project http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/ - their aim is 1000 mph.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:25:13 am »

If you want to go to Bonneville for speed week. YOU MUST watch the film   'The Fastest Indian'.

OK, it's about a 'cicle', but the build up and the cameraderie is superbe, you'll recognise the star and it's a tie between the actor and the 'cicle'.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:40:10 am »

I have no idea if you guys have access to it or not (I can't even find a program website), but there's an episode of the American PBS series "Inside" that covers speed week.  It's an interesting look at the side of things you never see, mostly the more amateur aspects.

• “Speed Week”  The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah is one of the flattest places in North America, an expanse so vast one can see the curvature of the Earth. Once a year this geological phenomenon attracts those with a shared passion: the need for speed. With bullet-shaped streamliners and other hand-crafted contraptions, thousands of hot-rodders make the pilgrimage to the flats with one mission in mind: to go as fast as their set of wheels will allow. “Speed Week” tells the story of seven men and women who hope to break land speed records at the Salt Flats’ annual racing event. Using specialized cameras mounted inside cars and on motorcycles, the program shows what it’s like to drive at unimaginable speeds, where high-speed passion meets extreme risk … and not everyone makes it back alive.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:06:22 am »

Me & the family were in south Wales on holiday a few weeks on ago & whilst we were there we visited Pendine sands where some of the early records were set.
Definetely worth a visit if your in the area. they have a small museum with one of the famous cars Babs in it.

The fastest Indian was on TV a month or 2 back. I agree well worth watching! 
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:16:55 am »

Always been on my 'to do list' too.

Thanks for the links to pics.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:19 am »

The photos are very good I think.

The worlds fastest indian was a great film, loved his idea of cutting the grass!

As an aside if you go onto speedhunters and look for Oshkosh EAA Air Venture called "Wings Vs. Wheels, there are some amazing pictures of a car vs plane race

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 04:13:18 am »

I have no idea if you guys have access to it or not (I can't even find a program website), but there's an episode of the American PBS series "Inside" that covers speed week.  It's an interesting look at the side of things you never see, mostly the more amateur aspects.

• “Speed Week”  The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah is one of the flattest places in North America, an expanse so vast one can see the curvature of the Earth. Once a year this geological phenomenon attracts those with a shared passion: the need for speed. With bullet-shaped streamliners and other hand-crafted contraptions, thousands of hot-rodders make the pilgrimage to the flats with one mission in mind: to go as fast as their set of wheels will allow. “Speed Week” tells the story of seven men and women who hope to break land speed records at the Salt Flats’ annual racing event. Using specialized cameras mounted inside cars and on motorcycles, the program shows what it’s like to drive at unimaginable speeds, where high-speed passion meets extreme risk … and not everyone makes it back alive.

Hi Chop,
            That sound like the same programmee i watched on National Geographic (I know not the usual wild animals they show  Grin)
 I loved the interview with the official whos said it is still an amateur event they just let the profesionals play along too
Phil.
I
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: