Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 10:27:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigel Mansell Return  (Read 9896 times)
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:54:18 am »

Pretty well everything Fax said.
Brad, commiserations mate on having a childhood hero who's a complete w**k*r...

Probably worth remembering that through the eyes of a child all I ever saw was a helmeted racing driver, sat in a car - life is simplistic at that age - you don't care about personalities, and whinging and blame and things like that - all you care about is if your man is going to win or not. 

Mansell retired from F1 in 1992 (then made a brief return) - By which point I was 11 years old - still only just starting to appreciate human nature - so for me, my view of Mansell was simply the racer for the people - and that role he performed just right. 

Could't agree more with your Brad.......
Unless your know any of them personally, or worked directly with them - How can you pass judgement based on one persons view of an individual.

I'm 38 years old - My hero's are of my time. Whilst I appreciate what the historical drivers did, it doesn't have any relevance to me!

So, whilst we are having a conversation about Mansell, a driver of my time, I have every right to pass comment!

As for suggesting Jeff Gordon.............Really?Huh He'd freak out at the thought of fuel injection!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 02:17:10 pm »

Wotcher Brad, - I wasn't have a dig mate!- just observing that it's not an uncommon phenomenon to discover that ones childhood heroes don't always match up to expectations.

Robbo, I'd love to reply, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

Anyway, the whole episode will give the prime time media an opportunity to bless us with ill-informed, badly researched bullsh*t as usual. I'm sure Mansell will post some good times, and he'll be exciting to watch, I'll just have to have my finger hovering above the 'mute' button ready for when they interview him.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 05:39:52 pm »

Freak out at the thought of fuel injection?  Wow, that was a clever one Robbo!  Yeeesh!  Showing just how little you actually know about the sport.  Your right, you are a real Mansell fan then...
This will give give you a chance to dust off your red 5 underpants and your f**k Prost t-shirt.  Ah yes, nothing said xenophobia like Mansell fans.
I know people who have worked with Mansell, and their opinions of him are all the same. And these are people who's opinion's I value highly.
Sorry, I've never been able to cheer for someone who's such a blatant asshole, no matter where they're from or what they've accomplished.
Fax
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:03:22 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »

Wotcher Brad, - I wasn't have a dig mate!- just observing that it's not an uncommon phenomenon to discover that ones childhood heroes don't always match up to expectations.

Robbo, I'd love to reply, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

Anyway, the whole episode will give the prime time media an opportunity to bless us with ill-informed, badly researched bullsh*t as usual. I'm sure Mansell will post some good times, and he'll be exciting to watch, I'll just have to have my finger hovering above the 'mute' button ready for when they interview him.
H

I know - just pointing out that Mansell was only ever seen by me through the eyes of a child. 

I'm not sure what Robbo means either - Mansell is a driver of my time - my old man took me to my first GP in 1990, I subsequently saw him race at every subsequent BGP until he retired.....

I personally like to seperate people from their personalities and their abilities.  Mansell, Senna, Prost, Piquet, Schumacher, Jenson, Lewis, even on to Ronaldo, Michael Jackson, Paul Gascgoine - all heros in their own way, but I don't think I'd ever want to spend an evening with them!!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 10:45:33 pm »

Never saw him race or can remember much about his racing history.

But all I do remember is, his scary moustache coupled with his dull Brummie accent. AHHHHHHHH........................................................  Grin

Sorry to any CA memebers who are from Brum Land and have hairy upper lips.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 01:06:01 pm »

Then obviously Fax, I will bow to your superior knowledge and apologise for anything said out of turn

However, one more car on the LMP1 grid is never a bad thing!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »

Then obviously Fax, I will bow to your superior knowledge and apologise for anything said out of turn

However, one more car on the LMP1 grid is never a bad thing!

Sorry Robbo, you are totally out of order! You, as is anyone else, are allowed to have an opinion. Ok you may have screwed up about the fuel injection but what the heck. I think you, as I did, appreciated him as a driver even FaxII liked him really, and I quote FaxII "The guy obviously had talent, and was utterly fearless in most racing circumstances."

So do not take it all to heart.

I have been going to LM for years plus the odd trip to Sebring and I still know Jack Sh*t about what goes on, I go for the trip and to watch the odd car racing, we cannot all be anoraks.

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:02 pm »

even FaxII liked him really,

I don't reckon Fax can stand the c*nt....

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 09:38:48 pm »

Me thinks at some point this all got a bit out of control.  As Martin very well pointed out, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Simply put, I've always been of the opinion that while Nigel was a fine racing driver, I found him a completely objectionable person.  I thnk part of the problem in this debate may have been the age gap invloved between some of us.  Yes, when we're young it is all about the helmet in the cockpit, the flair on track.  Watching from the banks at Silverstone & Brands I can fully understand what a young boy or a teenager would see appealing about Mansell the driver.  Its only when you become an adult that you watch a TV interview, read a magazine, or even get some firsthand accounts, and are really able to work out what this guy's all about as a person.  For me, Mansell has always been a colossal disappointment as an ambassador for the sport.
Fax
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:40:42 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »

Me thinks at some point this all got a bit out of control.  As Martin very well pointed out, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Simply put, I've always been of the opinion that while Nigel was a fine racing driver, I found him a completely objectionable person.  I thnk part of the problem in this debate may have been the age gap invloved between some of us.  Yes, when we're young it is all about the helmet in the cockpit, the flair on track.  Watching from the banks at Silverstone & Brands I can fully understand what a young boy or a teenager would see appealing about Mansell the driver.  Its only when you become an adult that you watch a TV interview, read a magazine, or even get some firsthand accounts, and are really able to work out what this guy's all about as a person.  For me, Mansell has always been a colossal disappointment as an ambassador for the sport.
Fax

Well done, I completely agree with you now. As for Senna supposedly being a prat out of the car, as well as a little hotheaded in the car, I think he was probably spoilt as a child and always wanted his own way. All said he apparently did a lot for charity and underprivileged children etc in Brazil, and if there is any good that comes from a 'star' dying early the charitable foundation set up in his name does a lot of good.

He was bloody quick though and would, I believe*, have shown the German a clean pair of heels. (*this means the same as 'only my opinion'  Grin)

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 09:01:34 am »

I always thought Senna was ok out the car, in fact he was a bit of a lad and his antics with berger are legand. I thought his mechanics always thought highly of him as well.

It was only once he got behind the wheel the red mist took over and he lost all control of sportsmanship and became a fool.

In some ways that makes him the complete opposite to Mansell, who was ok in the car but a tosser out of it.

Lifes odd in the cards ones dealt with.

One thing beyond doubt is that they could both drive the nuts of a car. Mansell may have been a slow starter in his career, but once he got to the top he seemed pretty good. i was impressed by his touring car outings (apart from the Needle one!) he was able to mix it with the best dispite thier combined efforts to put him into the bank.

Senna was quick from day one, I always maintain that if he was handled better in the early years his win or die mentallity could have been tempered.

All as martini say all IMHO.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: