Club Arnage
July 04, 2024, 12:22:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sucata Run 2009 (banger race, August 27-31)  (Read 2650 times)
DJet
Server Administrator
Administrator
Club Arnage Demi God

serveradmin

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:26:18 pm »

This is not entirely Le Mans related, although the route actually runs through Le Mans, and as we are all race fans, I'm sure you will all find this an interesting idea.

My son (22) has entered the Sucata Run 2009, which basically is a banger race from Rouen to Portugal in the end of this month (Aug 27-31).

http://www.sucatarun.com/

The requirement is that they buy a car at LESS than 250£, and use it and the event as a vehicle to collect money for charity.

There are points given for :

1) making it to the finish at all (!)
2) longest push
3) longest hitch-hike
4) most spectacular breakdown
5) most money collected

My son and his two friends have purchased a Vauxhaul Vectra 2.0d which they have "prepared" for the race by :

painting it matte black
fitting Knightrider KITT LED's to the front
fittting my old BBQ to the roof so they can sell bbq sausages for charity when in traffic jams
fitting a singing pig to the bonnet (!)
Find a team name : team K.I.T.T   (yes, the legendary David Hasselhoff KnightRider car :-) )
Dreaming up an motto: "Divided we drive, together we drink!"

so I really cannot see how it can go wrong ... :-)

oh - they have also un-SORN'ed,MoT'ed, tax'ed and insured it - the latter was rather difficult, as they are all three non-UK-nationals, and on top of that the terms "2 liter engine" and "under 24 years old" in the same sentence makes most insurance companies go all wonky.

Anyway, they quite obviously really could need all the help they can get - so please visit their with donations page:

http://www.justgiving.com/kitt/  

Also, many of the Club-Arnage members generally show huge skills in team-spirit-inducing car-decoration so if you know somebody who can help by providing things like decals or other essential items, they would be very interested in hearing from you  :-)  

They also have a facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=90179738526

Best regards - and wouldn't we all actually like to take part of that race ?

Lennart/Djet
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:38:47 pm by DJet » Logged
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »

Hi Lennart,

If your son wants to do a really outrageous rally.......then he should look at the Mongoilian Rally.

Basic rules are you drive a car of no more than 1000cc,has to be less than 10 years old.

You drive from London,Milan or Madrid to Mongolia in whatever direction takes your fancy.

When and if you arrive in Ulaanbaatar,your car is auctioned for the local charities.Plus you also have to raise £1000 for the designated charities before you go

Three of my mates did it last year. One made it in a Bedford Bambi Camper,whereas the other 2 managed to drive into an 18" pothole in Kazakstan....destroying the front suspension,manifold and engine mountings.

But they all agree....it was the adventure of a lifetime.

It usually starts on the 2nd weekend of July.

Sorry still do not know how to do a link....so if your son looks for the "mongolian Rally" on the net he will find it.

There is also the "Piste and Broke" which I am hoping to do in February,which is a drive,and not for charity,just fun, and is from London to Estonia and the rules are simple,no 4 wheel drive cars are allowed.

Wishy

DJet
Server Administrator
Administrator
Club Arnage Demi God

serveradmin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:00 am »

Just a follow-up - my sons tam HAS MADE IT ! - all the way to Portugal.

Using text-messaging-to-twitter it was possible to follow their progress at:
             http://twitter.com/teamkitt

although there are several events I look forward to get a real explanation for.
Such as the guy who "crashed into a bus because he was looking at their car!"  :-)

But it appears they have already had a fantastic time !

I am however not sure I FULLY believe them when they wrote:
   "(Team KITT)  Went for a spin on the Mulsanne - probably the best racer ever to tread those grounds Smiley"

- I'm sure they will write up a longer story when they eventually makes it back,
but for now they plan on driving around for a  few weeks.

Lennart/DJet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: