Club Arnage
October 07, 2024, 01:27:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aston Martin Engines  (Read 2189 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:28:33 pm »

The current owners of Aston are reported to be casting around for an alternative supply of engines to those currently supplied by Ford.

Head of the list is the unthinkable thought that Mercedes could be top of the pile to supply Aston with its  engines (inc a diesel) for the next generation of cars.

I except that Merc make dam fine engines and I am sure they will be very powerful, but it does seem like a bitter pill to take.

Unless Aston start to make thier own which would be pretty pricey, what other alternatives are there?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
tn*c
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:47:29 pm »

Well there are BMW engines used in many other supercars. I think Spyker now uses an Audi engine, as of course do the Lambo's. I would prefer to see BMW as they have a far nicer running V8.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:06:58 am »

Well the current units are Ford (V12) and Jaguar (V8) derived and are built at a dedicated Aston section in the Ford plant in Cologne, so if Aston's need to buy in engines I could think of plenty worse than Merc's V8's to use.  Where else do they go?  It's got to be a big and lusty engine, and in reality (sadly) it probably needs to be German. I can't see that Aston's will ever go back to the old days of hand building V8's,  they only need 300 or so a year back then!  The cost of designing and building an engine from scratch must be huge in this day and age, what with all of the emissions regulations and the need for more and more bhp, so why not tweak an engine thats already very good?

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: