Club Arnage
June 21, 2024, 07:19:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying respects on way to LM  (Read 2348 times)
nickliv
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:35:36 pm »

In our rented house there is a display case in memory of a young guy who was killed in the first war. It has lots of his personal effects in it, his dog tags, his uniform buttons, cap badge, a photograph, and the letter from HM King George informing his parents that he had 'passed beyond the sight of men'.

Using the CGWC site I've found he's in the commonwealth cemetery in Fouquieres-les-Bethune, near Lens, quite close to Lille. It's not a massive way out of our way, so we'll be dropping in for an hour or so in June.

His parents lived in a house over the hill from here, but following the war they emigrated to Canada, and some of their personal effects were kepy by my landlords father, to be sent on when they were requested.

They were never requested, and I wonder how many visitors he's had in the last 90 years. (Well, it'll be 90 years to the day on Monday)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:01:50 am »

Having been to all 'The Beeches' and associated Cemetaries, I wouldn't mind a reflecting time in peace and senerity to remember how hard times were then and how they lived and died to protect what they believed in.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:27:51 am »

Having been to all 'The Beeches' and associated Cemetaries, I wouldn't mind a reflecting time in peace and senerity to remember how hard times were then and how they lived and died to protect what they believed in.

Why did you go to see tree's?  But I know what you mean,  a few years back we were near Reims, and on a drive out found a little War Cemetary,  they are kept so fantastically well! We stopped to pay our respects, and whilst walking round i suddenly realised it was the anniversary to the day of the death of most of the soldiers there,  it was a very emotional moment for me and my wife as it was also our wedding anniversary....  I left a message in the visitors book at the cemetary.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: