Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:52:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take Advantage Of The Weak $ And Get Yourself Something Nice For Christmas  (Read 6378 times)
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »

http://www.globalwebcart.com/bbvstuff/item.asp?n=ca3%2dxm455&d=1

You're welcome.  Grin

P.S. I get a ride.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 06:01:37 pm »

Like it - nice advert, and nicely worded.  But how on earth can you realistically call a 7-litre engine "small-block" Huh?  And what a shame it's only available in one colour option.......

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:51:13 pm »

.....But how on earth can you realistically call a 7-litre engine "small-block" Huh

You knew I would bite on that Mark!

The 'small block' in it's current form is a development of the Chevrolet Gen III generic 'Small' V8 engine.  This was a further development of the original overhead valve V8 engine first introduced in 1955 as a 265 ci (4.3 litre) engine (and bored and stroked over the years to beyond 7 litres).

Conversely, the 'big block' Chevrolet V8 engine is dimensionally a bigger, beefier engine altogether, starting originally at 6.5 litres and now bored and stroked beyond 8.2 litres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Small-Block_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine

Of course, my own favourite lump of V8 iron is the Tin Indian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_V8_engine

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:47 am »

Steve,

Of course I knew you would bite on that one!  There's a reference on wikipaedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Block to it being something to do with the distance between cylinder bores?

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »

Well you learn something new everyday.  I knew small blocks had gone ove 6 litres, but assumed the C6R used a big block.  I suppose if they could get the Rover to 5 Litres, small block must get to 7 and big block to 9.2 or whatever it was.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:18 pm »

The differentiation is a bit academic for me with the mighty 1622cc of a 4-cylinder "B" Series power to play with, but one can always dream.  Just intrigued by the reference to the distance between the cylinder bores as to whether that it is a fact or just a load of twaddle, and that it actually is/was all about capacity?

MG Mark
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:06:38 pm by mgmark » Logged

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:17:24 pm »

I recall that putting a Buick (later Rover) V8 (tiny block I presume) in an MGA was a period modification in the States.  Is nothing sacred.  They'll be putting them in MGBs next.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:39:15 pm »

I recall that putting a Buick (later Rover) V8 (tiny block I presume) in an MGA was a period modification in the States.  Is nothing sacred.  They'll be putting them in MGBs next.

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:16 am »

Indeed they did.  For the UK, I seem to recall tales of the time of one guy who pu a V8 from the Daimler 250 into an A - can't see that the effort of that was worth it compared to the Buick tiny block, but they were probably more available at that time in UK.  And of course Mr Costello came up with the idea of stuffing them into Bs and, once BL realised that it was a good thing, nicked his idea and stopped supplying him with engines...

If the engine ever went bang in the A, the one that always appealed to me was putting in a period Alfa 2 litre twin cam - now that would be fun and would sound gorgeous, and would get a 5-speed gearbox with it.....still, since I' did my conversion to fit a B gearbox with overdrive that takes care of the latter, and the original 1622 sounds good compared to the wheezy 1798.  Now, if I can just get that crossflow head for it...

MG Mark

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:48:44 pm »

I know of a Frogeye (originally 948cc) which had an E Type 3.6? litre engine put in, in the 1960's. The car was named "The Fright" and is still alive and happilly living in australia.
There is also at least one Corvette engined one that I know of in the USA.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:00:08 pm »

I know of a Frogeye (originally 948cc) which had an E Type 3.6? litre engine put in, in the 1960's. The car was named "The Fright" and is still alive and happilly living in australia.
There is also at least one Corvette engined one that I know of in the USA.

Takes the concept of strapping oneself to an engine to a new level.....and the name sounds wonderfully apt! 

MG Mark

lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »

Here's a rather tasty Sprite for you. Looks like a Mk 2 engine with twin HD8 2" SU's. This isn't the frogeye though but just as scary!

http://www.britishv8.org:80/Other/AaronCouper.htm
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 04:40:30 pm »

That is an amazing conversion - if nothing else I wish I could weld and fabricate like that !!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 05:55:43 pm »

1957 Ford Thunderbird, Phase I Supercharged, D/F

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280173790739&rd=1

With the weak Dollar vs £ its a shame I have missed this!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 12:49:31 am »

I can rember reading in 'Cars and Car Conversions' in the late 60's early 70's about a courier who used a Big Healy with a Chevy small block. I believe he was London based.

As an aside, I owned the CCC Reliant Scimitar 2.5ltr Coupe. It's original Reg was CCC 16.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: