Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 08:51:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Usefull information  (Read 4914 times)
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:54:35 pm »

This was circulated around my office today. I didn't know this service existed but it is usefull to know

A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police ..

This actually happened to someone's daughter.
Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights  on.
Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.  This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground...... ..the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.
Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.
Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal) .  This is good information that I did not know!
Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females. 

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:21:07 pm »

I always distrust these things, and the giveaway is to "call 112 not 999 because you might have a weak signal". Surely a weak signal is a weak signal isn't it?

Still, there's probably something to be learnt from it...
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:23:32 pm »

"unmarked police car with a flashing red light"

Sounds a bit American to me - all our boys have blue lights.

Steve East Anglian cobras

mls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:15:52 pm »

Sounds like a modern legend to me. Lots of these things circulate around .It only takes one employee from Dorset Police to forward it from a Police computer and it looks like it is endorsed.
Any UK unmarked Police vehicle should, ironically, have very clear systems for indicating that it is a Police Vehicle e.g. pop up lights saying Police, Blue strobe lights in the grill and the occupants should be in uniform to stop you. I would certainly agree that anyone should not stop if they are uncertain if it is a genuine Police car until such time as it is safe to stop. Common sense should prevail with the officers ( Hopeful I know) as to where they stop vehicles.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:53:51 pm »

I think the highway code states that you should stop when requested to by a policeman.  I'm not convinced that following you with blue lights flashing is a request to stop (the blue lights just mean that its an emergency services vehicle doing emergency services).

So I told the wife to keep going and pull into the floodlit station carpark.  Plod was not a happy man

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mls

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:12 pm »

The road traffic Act 1988 says you must stop for a constable in uniform when requested to do so.

Sussex police offer the following advice

The police stopping procedures are as follows:

If the police want to stop your vehicle they will, where possible, attract your attention by:
 • flashing blue lights or headlights or sounding their siren or horn
 • directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator.

It is exceptionally rare for police officers to be impersonated. However, if you genuinely feel concerned or in doubt as to the authenticity of a police vehicle signaling for you to stop, drive slowly to the nearest lit built up area with members of the public nearby or go to the nearest police station.

Remember - Unmarked police cars will stop you with blue, not red lights.

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:20:15 am »

A quick google on this turns up :-

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Phone+%2377+Hoax
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/policestop.html and http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

As far as 112 working when 999 won't cos you have no signal.  Is pure Deja Moo.  If your phone has no signal it an't gonna talk to anything.
If your phone has some built in technolgy to enable it to comunicate without a signal that would be a very expensive technology.  Why would hte phone companies invest the money in it and not tell you about it.

My advice is don't name your child Lauren and if your name is Lauren change it.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 04:53:11 pm »

Tom said
"My advice is don't name your child Lauren and if your name is Lauren change it. "

Is that especially if your surname is Forcement, Tom.

Sorry

It's been a long day

Tongue

Ah yes, there's my coat over there...

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 07:46:57 pm »

Tom said
"My advice is don't name your child Lauren and if your name is Lauren change it. "

Is that especially if your surname is Forcement, Tom.

Sorry

It's been a long day

Tongue

Ah yes, there's my coat over there...
Bless... Perdu has been on the Sherry again!

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

As far as 112 working when 999 won't cos you have no signal.  Is pure Deja Moo.  If your phone has no signal it an't gonna talk to anything.
If your phone has some built in technolgy to enable it to comunicate without a signal that would be a very expensive technology. 

It may be refering to the system that if your out of coverage with your service, O2, Orange etc, if you need to make a 999 (or112) then it can still be made provided you can get a signal from one of the others.

Some phones now come up with 'SOS' to show when then can get a signal, just not from your service.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
6 Euros - JD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:25:31 pm »

A phone that uses radio signals instead of wire has to have a signal of some sort to work!

The SOS sign on some networks can also mean that the local cells are chocka with normal conversations but there are always a few channels reserved for emergency calls.

The 112 number is becoming a widely adopted mobile emergency number and can be used in many countries meaning that you don't need to know the local '999' number.

According to EU legislation 112 should have been adopted by all 25 states and should be as good as the local number. In reality though many states haven't brought it up to the same standard yet. This includes the UK.

The basic infrastructure though appears to be in place.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:05:24 pm by 6euros » Logged

'Arnage gravel rash ......... a badge of honour'
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 12:13:07 am »

It use to be the only number you were able to dial on a mobile phone when it was locked was 999.

Not sure if is still true or if it has been changed to 112.

(This is where everyone checks there mobile phone, well does it work?)

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:44 am »

I have enough trouble using my mobile phone to do its everyday jobbie

But Sherry?

Never touch the stuff, suppose I better go away and never again soil the towels...

P'shaw

Sherry?

EeeeeeK! Shocked

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:56:20 am »

It use to be the only number you were able to dial on a mobile phone when it was locked was 999.

Not sure if is still true or if it has been changed to 112.

(This is where everyone checks there mobile phone, well does it work?)

Yes is works.

Note ... I didn't let it ring. My phone said it was connecting.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: