Club Arnage
September 21, 2024, 11:49:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have all the spammers gone??  (Read 2449 times)
rcutler
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

This looks like good news! Since the forum update there seems to have been a huge drop in the number of new members and spam postings.

Question? Steve and Smokie have you been even busier and catching the spammers before they hit or was it the forum upgrade that has made things so much better.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:32:37 pm »

It's probably winter in Russia now, all internet cables must have got frozen up Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:55:01 pm »

There's been some tidying up!

Steve East Anglian cobras

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:29:08 am »

Without wishing to give awway the secret, Lennart did something during the upgrade which reduces the way the site "broadcasts" itself to spambots.

Before this, we were averaging a handful of new accounts per day. Steve in particular had done a fantastic job of banning users before they managed their first post, but sometimes they got there before we did.

For sure, it was starting to get very time consuming - and it is sometimes hard to tell just from an email address whether it was a potential spammer or not. My rule of thiumb was any email ending in .ru was probably dodgy (along with a load of others), as were user names like ILikeToSpam.  90% of the time you also find that people sign up when they have something to say, so a new account with zero posts always deserves a second look. I managed to block one existing member through over-enthusiasm with the wild card (e.g. *@*.ru is rather a wide ban!!), but Steve soon found my error and fixed it.

I'm pleased we haven't had to resort to the final authorisation method, which involves us actively allowing each account. This would also have been time consuming and a potential deterrent to new members.
rcutler
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:01:52 pm »

That is good, I thought you and Steve had just been up every waking hour or taking shifts to monitor the forum. Well done again then all.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:55:43 pm »

... there seems to have been a huge drop in the number of  spam postings.

You are still posting Rick ...  Grin

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: