Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 01:16:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting to Le Mans  (Read 14258 times)
Geordie

Le Mans - bl**dy cold in winter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2005, 08:45:10 pm »

Isn't it to the left?  or is that coming back - its a real pain with a caravan, and yes I know we get in the way, but only at Rouen
I think if you cut to the left you cross the central reservation - I've never tried it myself, but .... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2005, 09:31:49 pm »

You'd think they could have got that right, wouldn't you? When our ministry built the first motorway it was intended as a by-pass round Preston.

If ever a place needed by-passing more than Preston...

Huh
What are you saying about my lovely city Perdu ?

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, thank you !

Hmm, Chris. I think I was saying that Rouen needed by-passing more than Preston. Wasn't I?

I do remember the excitement when I was a kid when travelling to Scotland in dad's Austin Ruby, year after year to see how much further the "New" motorway had spread towards the climb over Shap. (Travelling at an exciting 35mph to Bonny Scotland every year) Even when we had the A40 Devon or the A35 each year was an adventure.

And we used to stop at Preston for a cuppa before the By - pass was opened, I quite liked it in a young kid on holiday sort of way...

So to paraphrase my (rich) hero Michael Winner, "don't take on so, it's only a commercial"

Cool

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 08:46:43 am »

fewer chances of map reading cockups
I gave up trying to read a map and driving at the same time - also no longer let the wife look at the map and say things like 'You have to turn left somewhere up ahead', 'This road isn't on the map' and 'I think you should have turned left back there'.  Just keep a list of major towns along the route, follow any signs for the same and if in doubt keep straight on.  Crap advice?  Maybe, but it works for me.  I think the buggery bit  is when you hit that bit where you have to filter right, you're trapped in the left lane and have to cut across to the right - woooaaaaahhh! Shocked Shocked

Know what you mean, this year due to last minute drop out I drove on my own.  Without the aid, or interferance, of a map reader i got there and back with out getting lost once, and i got to choose the music!

The junction you are talking about I guess, is at the top of the hill just before you get into Rouen on the way home, everyone is in the  outside lane storming up the hill when you need to get across sharpish to the right otherwise you have a nice trip thru Rouen city centre.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 07:12:51 pm »

I think if you cut to the left you cross the central reservation - I've never tried it myself, but .... Shocked Shocked Shocked
I friend of mine did once, it makes a real mess of the car and the 'van - thats how I got the cheap awning

I'm sure at the end of the industrial area road, you have to fight your way to the left, and then go up a semi circular bit onto the bridge, but I recall they were rebuilding that.  I've gone via Caen the last couple of years so it may be all different.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 12:37:37 am »

Aaaagh

I had thought that with the new Peage the route from the Tunnel would be easy, seems that I was wrong.

Our small convoy (3 cars) with no previous experience of Rouen should be passing sometime on Thursday after taking the tunnel at about 13:00 (folkstone).

Would an eta at the circuit of about 19:00 be taking it easy
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2005, 11:28:16 am »

ok i am getting a bit confused now, not to hard i hear you say

where abouts do we pick the new road up? is it before Rouen or is it after the roundabout with all the plastic cows on it.

Andy
From the "cow roundabout" you take the usual route to join the A13 motorway - signed to Caen and Le Mans. The junction with the A28 - signed Alencon and Le Mans comes up almost exactly 10 miles after you join the A13.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2005, 04:32:39 pm »

For those people wanting to come with their spouses and include a touristic trip to the Loire Valley, the Le Mans-Tours last section of the A28 will be open next wednesday, so you won't have to drive across Chateau du Loir and its memorious traffic jam.

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2005, 04:43:21 pm »

For those people wanting to come with their spouses
Don't be silly Gilles

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 10:13:05 pm »

........, so you won't have to drive across Chateau du Loir and its memorious traffic jam.
And don't forget the wonderous one way system

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lord Buddha

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 09:45:52 pm »

Does anyone think that a little carpet bombing of Rouen (in the style of our hero Bomber Harris) would encourage the foul French to speed the road improvements up?

Lord Buddha.  Voted 'Best Lord' by TV Quick magazine, beating Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Dance & The Lord Almighty in close competition.  Let this Lord show us the way to drink beer!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: