Club Arnage
June 30, 2024, 09:49:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Road Racing - Automatic Gearbox Help  (Read 6377 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 11:10:59 pm »

.....a Daimler 250 V8 engine and gearbox  ....

Now there's an engine  Cheesy
I remember a few of these hemi engines running on nitromethane at Santa Pod in the 70's and 80's.

The Daimler V8 was designed by Edward Turner, he of Triumph motorcycle fame. It's basically four Triumph Bonneville 650 engines cast together with a water jacket around it. Some of the parts are interchangeable, valves etc. Daimler was once owned by Triumph Moptorcycles (which incidentally had nothing to do with Triumph cars, other than they were both based in Coventry).

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 02:58:11 pm »

Mark, on my TH350, the vacuum modulator sits on the RH side of the gearbox and is connected to the carb by a vacuum pipe.  The varying vacuum signal moves the ported valve within the trans and thus alters the oil flow to the various parts of the valve body.

Steve,

Ah - makes sense, as that would effectively sense throttle position by the vacuum created.  Our ZF box does not have that facility, as it is connected to a diesel, hence with no throttle plates we don't have no vacuum, so it uses the travel of the kickdown cable to perform the same function.

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
keithcuda
CA Veteran

Mopar or NO Car

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:52 pm »

Without a full rebuild of the gearbox and changing all the gear ratios, have you considered reducing the final drive at the axle. I have a similar issue on the 1/4 mile i'm only using 1st and 2nd before the timing light. I'll be getting a new diff when i can afford it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: