Club Arnage
July 04, 2024, 10:09:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radar Detectors in France  (Read 18136 times)
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2004, 01:00:00 am »

Obviously Surrey and the rest of the Safety Partnership boys need to do some proper police work ?

Take life by the horns and live it.
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2004, 12:01:44 pm »

Talking of speeding, how long does it take now for a ticket to drop through the door from a hand held camera.

I was on the M4 last week heading west through Wiltshire and am sure he got me, just have to wait and see..............................

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 12:16:41 pm »

14 days seems to be the time limit to serve papers - however there are some exceptions (e.g. if you aren't the registered keeper)

Good Luck!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2004, 06:08:13 pm »

Do they have anything like these sneaky little mobile cash machines in France

Yes they do, with the exception that the vehicles are unmarked. They are linked to Gendarmes a little further down the road who will (if you were breaking the limit) pull you over, breathalyse you, and generally give you a hard time before fining you in cash (credit cards not accepted) and sticking you on their national computer.
At the moment they can't put points on your licence or ban you from driving outside France (that's on its way via Brussels), but they CAN ban you from driving in France for a fixed period on the spot.
GT5S_1985
CA Veteran

I'm a llama! and damn proud of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2004, 11:41:23 am »

Unfortunately it's not a good idea Dave.

They are illegal in France. Not only do you get hit by a large fine, they will simply rip the system out of your car and don't care how much damage they do in doing so (i.e. if you've wired it in behind the dash, expect a damaged dashboard.

To add insult to injury, it is quite common for the Gendarmes to then place the unit under your wheel and make you drive over it!

That said, this is what happens to British cars with them. Perhaps Gilles may know if they are perhaps more lenient to French plated cars??

I lived in France for 2 years... I have what I call my "Wall of Shame", which is where I framed my "souvenirs" of my time in France that were given to me by the Gendarmes... So I have some first-hand experience with speeding and tickets ;-) All those were in a car with French plates.

I later bought a radar detector in the US and used it quite successfully in France and Spain for a while. It was like shooting fish in a barrel - since detectors are illegal, they don't use "instant on"... They set the radar guns up on a tripod and hide behind a bridge or something with the radar gun pinging away. My detector helped save me from several more tickets.

That was all in the "good old days", 3-4 years ago. What has been written here is correct - you get in far more trouble today for being in possession of a detector than for speeding so I haven't used mine in years.

The French have also started to get more serious about speeding. I can't tell you what the threshold is for issuing tickets in France, since mine were for 30-50 kph over the limit. At that time, getting nicked meant paying a 60-90 euro fine and nothing more... with my US license they couldn't issue me points and it was no big deal (which is why I drove how I drove). The fines have recently been raised substantially. I would guess that you could probably cruise at 145-150 kph and not have too many problems?

Since you are coming over from the US you should know that the method is completely different than they use over there. There are very few (no?) rolling radar traps... In the US, Smoky cruises along the interstate and occasionally shoots oncoming traffic to check their speed and may do a u-turn to go get the offender. In France they are all stationary radar traps. Generally after a bridge or building or some object that they may park behind. They then radio ahead to their buddies your license plate number and the kind gentlemen will wave you over to the side of the road, or will be waiting for you at the toll station. You will then have a short chat and they will relieve you of any excess cash you may have. Perhaps 25 days of the month there will be zero speed enforcement, but on the 3rd, the 11th, the 18th and the 27th they will set up one of their radar operations and they'll do a brisk business on those days. They have also recently begun to set up photo radar but they aren't as widespread as other countries yet.

Hope this helps

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »

My understanding was that Laser Jammers were not illergal per se because they transmit light and there is no law against transmitting light.

Hence why the charges of Perverting the course of justice, or obstructing a police officer.  Mind you with most Scameras the operator appears to be a civilian.

I also understood that if you approach a mobile camera and your jammer starts warning you, the trick is to slam the brakes on, reducing speed, turn off the jammer allowing the camera to get a fix on you at a now legal speed.  Not all jammers give a signal to the camera that the camera is being jammed, or is it that not all cameras know they are being jammed.  They just know they can't get a signal.

So if you have a jammer and regularly drive past the same camera with your jammer on the operator is likely to get to know you, and a visit from Plod might be expected.  However used with sense you should be ok.

This is all in theory as I don't have a jammer........yet.
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2004, 02:05:53 pm »

Maybe you can try this theory out when you have and let us know your results!!! Wink

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2004, 03:19:07 pm »

Maybe you can try this theory out when you have and let us know your results!!! Wink

Its much more fun just spouting though!  Anyway not had a need for a jammer yet!  Although I do have a Morheus Geodesy which seems reluctant to update.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: