Club Arnage
June 28, 2024, 06:17:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WEC/ELMS Silverstone  (Read 17990 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

Fax,

Agree that more people were there than last year - only about 5 of the 16 or so grandstands were open, and the wind was such that those that were open weren't that comfortable to be in - plenty of trackside space to watch from too. 

And I wouldn't write it off the bucket list - it is far from being "Mickey Mouse".  Most of the good bits of the circuit as it has developed incrementally over the laat 30-odd years remain - the only bit missing is the old section between Abbey and Bridge into Luffield which is a shame, but the main circuit is now longer as a result.  There's plenty of fast straights, challenging sweeping corners and complexes, just as there are a few slower places, notably Luffield and Vale, to play last of the late brakers. At the end of Hangar Straight, Stowe corner might look simple, but it has an ever tightening radius, a rise going into it, a crest and dip away coming out of it, and the camber transitions from positive to negative as you go through it. The only bit that I would class as crap is the new-ish "Loop" - it would have been far better if they had just run straight from Farm Curve to the end of the Wellington straight.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
cja

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 12:31:02 pm »

Call me "Old Fashioned", if you like........ Roll Eyes ........ but the sight of Ronnie Peterson barrelling out of Woodcote, opposite lock and straining tyres, was THE sight to behold.

Yeah, I know.....I'm just a sad old git but, thankfully, you can never unsee some things  Grin

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:00 pm »

Got up and watched this morning on FS1. Good show, tight racing all the way through. But! A couple of observations, was anyone there! From the TV feed it looked is if the place was vacated. Also, WTF has happened to Silverstone? There was a time when Silverstone was on my bucket list on circuits to visit, but it looks Mickey mouse crap now. Roll on Spa Francorchamps!
Fax
It was packed, look on the tv feed for the buildup to and the start. A lot of the stands are closed, but considering the use of volunteer "race Makers" the security staff can be shifted slightly. I noticed a few more open stands. But would you sit in one spot for 6 hours, or walk round like most people did?

Wooosh!!!!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 02:09:16 pm »

Call me "Old Fashioned", if you like........ Roll Eyes ........ but the sight of Ronnie Peterson barrelling out of Woodcote, opposite lock and straining tyres, was THE sight to behold.

Yeah, I know.....I'm just a sad old git but, thankfully, you can never unsee some things  Grin

I know what you mean, before the advent of Brooklands and Luffield, with the straight run from Abbey, under the bridge, and into Woodcote ....... 

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Bonio

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 02:10:51 pm »

Certainly more people there than last year, you could tell by how long it was taking for the car parks to thin out. My self and Lofty bloke ended up having a great time once we eventually got up there (A rather persistent Land Lord was at fault). Did not enjoy putting up the tent at 2300 Hr's Saturday night though. We just ended up taking a slow walk around the circuit for the day and watching them stick to the track around Copse was incredible IMHO. Just wished that Silverstone would build a bridge or tunnel to access the Wing from the other side. Still we always have a fab time, depends on what you make of it.....

Team J.E.D.I
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 05:34:17 pm »

Perhaps it was the empty grandstands that gave it a deserted look, from most of the camera angles you only see a few folks standing along the fencing. I'm glad there were more there than it appeared.
MG, I hear you. The Copse-Becketts combination still looks awesome, but there's a great deal of the circuit that looks very point & squirt now. Perhaps I'm a old geezer now, but Silverstone used to be so fast and flowing (for many years it was the fastest circuit on the F1 calendar).
Again it could be simply how it appears on TV, but the old layout, with corners like Stowe and Club in their original configuration was pretty mind blowing.
Fax
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »

....but Silverstone used to be so fast and flowing (for many years it was the fastest circuit on the F1 calendar)....
Fax

Indeed, when the track layout literally followed the route of the orginal bomber airfield's perimeter track.  Even after the introduction of the Woodcote chicane in the mid-70's, there was Rosberg's 1985 breathtaking qualifying lap of under 1'06", which broke through the 160mph average lap speed for the first time, and that  stood for a long time.

I'd judge now that the section from the exit from Woodcote all the way to Stowe and possibly Vale, probably still counts as fast and flowing, which is a fair length and proportion of the track.       

MG Mark

Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 08:49:45 pm »

As others have said, it was a really good crowd yesterday and the main car parks very nearly full at 10:30 am and they were having to open the grass car parks which I haven't seen open for sports cars for many years.

Personally, although the old character of the track is now different, I actually prefer the new circuit layout and it provides much more opportunities for good photography locations than the old circuit did. Granted this wouldn't apply at a GP but is great for smaller events like sports cars etc.

Still some awesome corners. Copse for example. Just stand on the outside where they start to turn in for the apex and its mind blowing how fast the LMP1 cars are taking that corner.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »

I'm in total agreement with you MG, the portion of the lap from Woodcote to Vale retains the original high speed, flowing feel that Silverstone was famous for. I'm not a big fan of the sector after that. I suppose I'm a bit old school, but would rather have seen them simply tighten up the corners if they felt speeds were getting out of hand, much like Monza did with the Lesmo's, rather than totally re-configure the layout.
My original post was born out watching a dvd of the 1973 British GP Sunday night, (with a fair amount of ale) and being blown away by how breathtaking Silverstone was then. That run from Club back through Abbey, and Woodcote was something for the ages. Keke's 1985 lap, and Superswede in a 150 mph drift are the stuff of racing legend.
Fax
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 02:11:19 pm »

Yup, def seemed to be more people there this year, it was even quite busy Friday and Saturday,  Richard selling the AMR merchandise had to make a 3 hour round trip on Saturday evening to get more stock as he had based expected sales on last year plus a bit and he was quite a way out!  Hopefully a few more grandstands will be opened next year as the one opposite the Wing was rammed full from what I could see.  The problem for anyone seeing Silverstone on TV is that the capacity is probably somewhere near 150,000 so even 30,000 people would make it look empty!  Think of Wembley or any other large stadium with 25% or less of it's full capacity, and that would look deserted too.

I've been going to Silverstone since 1970, and it has changed greatly in that time, some for the better some not.  I still miss the old run down from Stowe to Club, and the more recent Bridge Corner.  But the run from Woodcote through to Copse and on to Maggots/Becketts is one of the best and fastest flowing sections of any track in the world IMHO.  And if you stand head on to the end of the Wellington Straight and watch the LMP1's turn left at Brooklands then the speed they turn in at will make you realise how much down force they have as they are going mighty fast through there.  Yes, the new Village/Loop/Aintree section may be slow, but it did highlight how fast the Porsches picked up speed compared to the Audis.

One of the best changes over the years has been the increase in the places that ordinary spectators can get some decent photo's, especially at any meeting outside of the GP.

All in all still a great track, and the WEC couldn't have asked for a better race to start their season,  F1 must have looked on in envy!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 07:31:11 pm »

.....the portion of the lap from Woodcote to Vale retains the original high speed, flowing feel that Silverstone was famous for. ....
Yes, but it was Club (Vale) to Woodcote that was the original high speed section.  Seeing cars drift through Woodcote at 100plusgodknowswhat mph was incredible.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:41 am »

Yes, but it was Club (Vale) to Woodcote that was the original high speed section.  Seeing cars drift through Woodcote at 100plusgodknowswhat mph was incredible.

and more often than not Seeing cars drift through Woodcote and into the catch fencing at 100plusgodknowswhat mph

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 09:05:25 pm »

Twas wy first time there since 2003, i was lost! The circuit has changed beyond all recognition for me, but mostly for the better. It's not so fast anymore which is a shame but safer. There are more lumps and places to Watch from which is good. I remember when they dumped all the old tarmac on the banks to raise them after the change between stowe and club. It was ok but you could'nt sit down 'cause the tarmac stuck to your clothes. Tequila tent was bloody great. The people there hope to go to Le Mans but the promoter's not sure it will work with the French. What do they have to do with it we said, all the fans are English! Bleedin' cold Wind just as always. Thanks to Pat for taking me and Ting Tong for the carry.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:08 am »

WEC pictures :

Practice, Qualif, Autograph session : http://bit.ly/WEC2015R1P1
Race : http://bit.ly/WEC2015R1P2

WEC 2015 - 6 Hours of Silverstone by Kristof Vermeulen, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:27:57 am by Dottore » Logged

Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:50 pm »

Love them Kristof, especially this one (I'm in it!)

Wooosh!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: