Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 05:07:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly the worst documentary on the British car industry ever made.  (Read 7262 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:19:18 pm »

Although he does make a few valid points, Dominic Sandbrook falls for every cliché, stereotype and misconception regarding the demise of the British car industry.

"Das Auto: The Germans, Their Cars and Us"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03866cj/Das_Auto_The_Germans_Their_Cars_and_Us/
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:33:20 pm »

So long as you bear in mind its limitations, I found it quite enjoyable.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:25:28 pm »

I thought it was good as well. No rose tintied glasses, and if we were that good at making cars in those years past, we would have a bigger and stronger car/truck industry today

But we are still brill at technology, design and engineering - F1 cars and that stuff - (also last time I peek are film industry was good)

But things change and we have to adapt and evolve

Not going into which side was to blame, but all I can say is a bit sad really.

Oh well at least we have a good strong financial industry  Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:28:34 pm by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »

It did point out that the car industry had done well in the 1950s, then when the Germans have gone from the expensive and poor spec but well made Beetle to the Golf, we've got the Allegro, plus a string of German designed Fords and Vauxhalls.

I don't think it was meant to be technical or accurate

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36:44 pm »

It was billed as ; "Documentary examining Germany's automobile industry". What it turned out to be was a glib and rather superficial "Hey, wasn't British Leyland really cr*p".
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 11:17:41 am »

It was billed as ; "Documentary examining Germany's automobile industry". What it turned out to be was a glib and rather superficial "Hey, wasn't British Leyland really cr*p".

But the interesting angle was reflecting this against the German take on the business of car making.

I was of course bitterly disappointed they didn't include the Rover 800 Fastback TV advert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-DEi1LP50

Britishcher architect? Yes, and a Japanese car designer, from Honda. That, for me, summed up the inferiority complex rife at the time.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »

This is the way to make a documentary about an industry that underwent a major change.

"The Box That Changed Britain".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00scpzn/The_Box_That_Changed_Britain/
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:52:24 pm »

I watched that - was really interesting.

F
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 07:52:28 pm »

the box that changed britain
margaret thatcher

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »

Did anyone see the last 15 minutes of Top Gear at the weekend - certainly modified my view of Britain's contribution to the motor industry - I would recommend it if you missed it. 
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:57 pm »

Yes, I agree. It was good to see the British automotive industry being celebrated rather than rubbished!

Did anyone see the last 15 minutes of Top Gear at the weekend - certainly modified my view of Britain's contribution to the motor industry - I would recommend it if you missed it. 
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:04:40 pm »

Here if you missed it tinyurl.com/mhsmafm
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »

Thanks for sharing Smokie.  Smiley
What a great piece.

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 09:21:06 am »

Well, as one who lived the terrible years and one who lived not far from Jaguar, plus one who suffered those absolutely awful cars as a company rep, I well remember the first time I bought a Golf in 1978. It was a revelation, a car that had a silky gear change, that was well built, would never let you down, and so I continued buying German until, for my 50th, I bought a new X300 Jaguar. Two new sets of wheels in the first year due to the lacquer falling off, a suspension that collapsed, a window that went down and refused to go up, and a gearbox that forever went into "limp home" mode. In the last 20 years I've had two cars, both Mercs, both doing over 150,000 before changing and indeed the last now kept as an everyday smoker. I just hope the 2012 CDi200 will be just as reliable, but somehow with all the technology in it I doubt it. But of the 70's I remember the first Marina, drum brakes and no servo, wipers set up for LHD and a dangerous car. The second was delivered with a seized gearbox. A Toledo that wouldn't go over 30mph and which the dealer said "was due to a tight engine that needs running in". Needed a new carb, that's what. and please don't get me going on the Maxi that preceded the Golf.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:28:32 am »

In contrast, I had a Mini from 1974 to 78 that never let me down once. I then got a second hand Golf GTi in the 80's that was an uncomfortable noisy sh*tbox that tore up front tyres in less than 3000 miles. I then drove a Pug 1.9 GTi that was very much better behaved.

Well, as one who lived the terrible years and one who lived not far from Jaguar, plus one who suffered those absolutely awful cars as a company rep, I well remember the first time I bought a Golf in 1978. It was a revelation, a car that had a silky gear change, that was well built, would never let you down, and so I continued buying German until, for my 50th, I bought a new X300 Jaguar. Two new sets of wheels in the first year due to the lacquer falling off, a suspension that collapsed, a window that went down and refused to go up, and a gearbox that forever went into "limp home" mode. In the last 20 years I've had two cars, both Mercs, both doing over 150,000 before changing and indeed the last now kept as an everyday smoker. I just hope the 2012 CDi200 will be just as reliable, but somehow with all the technology in it I doubt it. But of the 70's I remember the first Marina, drum brakes and no servo, wipers set up for LHD and a dangerous car. The second was delivered with a seized gearbox. A Toledo that wouldn't go over 30mph and which the dealer said "was due to a tight engine that needs running in". Needed a new carb, that's what. and please don't get me going on the Maxi that preceded the Golf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: