Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 05:22:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brundle back competing  (Read 5859 times)
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

I see that Martin Brundle and D.I. Blundell are back in proper competitive events again, narrowly missing out on a podium spot at the Daytona 24 last weekend. Great to Brundle in particular back behind the wheel. He doesn't rule out more sportscar events in future either.

What price a return to LM in due course?

A few more details here : http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5j1dLnl5KTb7fCblbJFA_kVqIUNKg?docId=N0453311296463046228A

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

Is it really 11 years since he drove at LM - or does LM not count as a sportscar event?

F
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »

This was how his last Le Mans in 1999 ended Fran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OWn_tu0yU
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:44:13 pm by Bob U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:49:53 pm »

Sadly I do remember how it ended (having been a Toyota supporter at the time) I just hadnt realised it was sooooo long ago... time flies n all that.

Thanks for posting the link so I could see it again tho   Undecided

F
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »

Both Martin and Mark drove very well, and their car was right in the thick of it for most of the race. In all honesty, Grand-Am cars are not the most difficult cars in the world to drive, but for a couple of geezers who haven't driven in anger in many years, they put up a good show.  Blundell in particular could probably stand to hit the gym a bit if he's going to do any more racing.  He's put on quite a bit of weight since his F1 & CART indycar days, and looked absolutely wrecked when he would get out of the car after a stint.  I suspect a few laps in a proper LMP car would really do him in.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »

Good result for them no doubt. But does it point towards a lack of younger front line drivers in Grand Am?

I doubt they would would find it quite as easy at Le Mans, but if they did enter then i dont think they would disgrace themselves.

Is Zac Brown the man behind the US GP? seems a pretty commited guy and that project does seem to be getting a bit of steam up now.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »

Absolutely agree with you Nordic, there is very little young talent in Grand-Am, the series relying heavily on aging, well past their prime, sportscar & indycar stars, and a collection of wealthy, weekend warriors.  Of the few young guys in series, they are usually a team owners son (as in Wayne Taylor's two boys).
And yes, the USGP in Austin project (I did some digging and a guy named Tavo Hellmund is the chairman of the project) does seem to be coming along well, they've got dirt moving, and the city of Austin seems solidly behind the project.  If they pull it off it could be a terrific venue, and Austin is a great city with lots of stuff to see & do.  But unfortunately with the way most things F1 related in this country end up, I'll believe it when I see cars turning laps.  Just hope the genius who does the scheduling doesn't give them a July date, the FIA seem to have short memories and I doubt many of them remember the Dallas fiasco.
Fax
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:33:39 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »

Loads of people on Twitter keep asking about a drive at LM this year.

I keep pointing out that Mr Brundle will be in Canada commentating on the GP that self same weekend.

Crouch..........bind..........set
Le Vieux

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:48 pm »

I keep pointing out that Mr Brundle will be in Canada commentating on the GP that self same weekend.

IIRC back in the Nineties Brundle was given time off from his F1 commentary work to compete at LM.  Is a seat with Rebellion out of the question, given his links with Toyota?
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »

From Twitter earlier:-

@chashallett Chas, yes to Le Mans again soon hopefully with Alex, but it always clashes with the Canadian GP. I want to do Bathurst V8 too.

Crouch..........bind..........set
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:05 pm »

IIRC back in the Nineties Brundle was given time off from his F1 commentary work to compete at LM.  Is a seat with Rebellion out of the question, given his links with Toyota?

Now there's a nice thought! At Le Mans, so low interest in that GP/commentary, and Brundle driving a Toyota powered car....   Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 01:40:36 am »

Did he not drive a Bentley in 2001?
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:21 am »

Did he not drive a Bentley in 2001?

Indeed he did... I knew it was more recent than 11 years!

F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: