Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 04:37:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Lola B11/40 LMP2  (Read 3799 times)
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

Color me indifferent.

Lola, producers of LMP1 and LMP2 chassis for ACO-based sportscar racing, revealed their version of the new, lower cost 2011 P2 chassis today.

With a new class limit of €325,000 ($420,000), minus engine, or complete at €400,000 ($517,000), the B11/40 renderings reflect the need to greatly reduce manufacturing costs to stay within the 2011 cost cap. For the sake of comparison, a fully kitted 201 Lola P2 Coupe, minus engine, costs just over $975,000.

To meet a new sale price reduction of more than half, the popular Coupe version of Lola's P2 car -- as used by the Dyson Mazda team in the ALMS, for example -- has been abandoned, giving the B11/40 a similar look, at some angles, to the B07/40 that preceded the B08/80 Coupe. The tooling and production costs to manufacturer a Coupe version of a prototype, as most manufacturers confirm, is prohibitively expensive.

Designed to accept a wide variety of engine solutions, the British firm expects production-based motors from Nissan, HPD, Toyota, Jaguar, BMW and Ford to be available for installation.

Lola's familiar nose treatment, with tapered dive planes, a central nose duct and rounded cockpit rollover structures makes use of the lessons learned from their prototypes offered through 2009. More recent design aspects -- seen at the end of 2009 in P1 and this year in P2 -- have been carried over, especially with their sidepod sculpting that falls away in front of the rear wheels, and the tidied rear substructure.

Continued use of the P2-spec narrow rear wing span can also be seen, along with the new-for-2011 stabilization fin on the engine cover. Intended to reduce the likelihood of a blow over at extreme yaw angles, the prominent fin also offers an impressive amount of new signage space for sponsor logos.

More details on the B11/40 are due out shortly.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:29 am »

Well, except the stabilization fin this looks like any standard LMP chassis to me. The idea with the fin is not new though, Porsche Kremer raced it already in 1982

* CK5_1.jpg (102.33 KB, 750x556 - viewed 320 times.)

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:01 am »

Would be nice if it was a real 2 seater and they did rides around the track!

Smiley
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:54 am »

When the new cost limit rules where anounced didnt most companies say no way could they do it for that cost, seems like they have had a change of heart.

The new lola looks pretty smart, hopefully more will follow.

Gebharbt (spl) also used the central fin on their C2 car.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »

With you Chop, doesn't exactly make my heart flutter.  Looks pretty much like the same Lola design we've seen for a few years now, with the addition of a dorsal fin.  They'll sell them to the usual suspects...
Fax
SL
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:29:53 pm »

Makes you wonder were they are going to make up the money?

Maybe a good idea to check the costs of spare parts and body panels.

Simon

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: