Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 08:13:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Audi R15 for next season  (Read 3185 times)
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:53:31 pm »

New diesel sports car for Le Mans

Audi aims to demonstrate "Vorsprung durch Technik"; specifically in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Audi is just one victory behind Ferrari in the French endurance classic’s all time winners’ list following its eighth victory last June. Only Porsche has more wins at Le Mans.

Audi targets the ninth victory in probably the world’s toughest car race, in which the development of alternative and fuel-saving power concepts are the focus of attention, in June 2009 with a newly developed LMP1 sports car.

The Audi R15 TDI differs significantly from its predecessor, the R10 TDI, at first glance and features many technically innovative details with which Audi aims to maintain its supremacy in Le Mans.

The new Le Mans prototype is equipped with a smaller, lighter and even more efficient TDI engine. During the chassis and aerodynamic development Audi Sport engineers followed similar routes to those exhibited on the current Audi A4 DTM.

"It was clear to us that we must develop a new car if we wanted to continue to be successful in Le Mans," explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich.

"The Audi R15 TDI is the result. The step from R10 to R15 is significantly larger than it was from the R8 to the R10."

" Only the basic concept was carried over from the predecessor model: The R15 TDI is also powered by a TDI engine and is an open-topped roadster. Audi does not wish to release any further details at this time."

The first private tests with the new Le Mans sports car are scheduled for later this year. The R15 TDI will only be presented to the public immediately before its race debut in the 12-hour race in Sebring (USA) on 21 March 2009.

Audi Sport Team Joest will field three new R15 TDI prototypes in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:11:03 am »

Well, Dr. Ulrich from Audi released some good and some bad news yesterday...

The good news: The new R15 and the fact that they want to race 3 of those at Le Mans

The bad news:
- It's not sure if they will do a full ALMS due to the economic crisis, rumours say they might only go to Sebring and the PLM.
- For the same reason they will definitely pull the plug on the LMS

Jesus, I think the LMS prototype part of the LMS-grids will be rather empty in 2009: Audi, Rollcentre, Essex, Horag, van Merksteijn, Embassy, all of them have pulled out - and I havent't heard of any new prototype teams yet.

I wonder what the grid at the big race in June will look like - I still remember 1992 when they had just 28 cars on the grid there ... there was definitely more party noise than race car noise around the track then... Grin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:15:04 am by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:48 pm »

......- I still remember 1992 when they had just 28 cars on the grid there ...
and was it at Silverstone that year there was an 11 car grid (2 Pugs, 2 Lola Judds. a Jag, a Merc, a new Spice and about 3 old C2 ones)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:15 am »

Here's the press release I had last week about entrants for 2009. WQas speaking to one of my mates here and they are usually involved in LMP cars that are sponsored by HSBC who of course have pulled the plug. They are on a two day week at the moment. Not looking hopeful for a full grid this year at the moment but it is always darkest before the dawn. Hope the link works for you.

http://www.lemans.org/mailing/2008/11_24_selection_24h2009/datas/com_gb.pdf
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »

Do my eye's deceive me? is there an MC12 on that list  Shocked Shocked Grin or are they running the DBR9 again Undecided

Hope Darren Turner & David Brabham both get to go for their hat-trick next year Smiley
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:49:19 am »

It is an MC12......the same as last this year.

The MC12 does not meet the ACO regs, so Vitaphone (the team that has secured the automatic entry) is allowed to substitute the vehicle for one that does meet the regs, i.e. DBR9.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: